Considering rehoming - emotional health issues - Southern California

colbertf

It has taken a while to and it pains me to write this. I have a beautiful well cared for male 9 month old bearded dragon named Rowan. Rowan tested positive for Atadenovirus and Coccidia back in January, with a lot of routine cleaning using products from bug-de-lite, the coccidia has all cleared up and on 2 proceeding fecal tests (most recent May 12th) all have tested negative for any parasites. About 6 weeks ago we treated for a URI which has cleared up, but he is not eating like he used to, possibly after effect of medication, currently will only eat buttterwoms and some hornworms right now, only a few on certain days, 6 to 10 on other days. In the interim every few days I have been administering Omnicare mixed with baby food /water or juice from blended veg, given via syringe, side of gums, 0.05 to 0.01 at a time. He is prone to asperating if given liquids dropped on nose, I don't do that anymore. Being ADV+, I also give a daily schedule of supplements (see image in link), all from bug-de-lite, including Liquid calcium since he's eating only small amounts of bugs (butterworms).

His looks strong and healthy, his bloodwork continues to improve and this past lab results (May 7th) were good. Before the URI he was eating butterwoms, hornworms, butterworms, roaches, crickets, small superworm, bsfl & waxworm, since having the URI his appetite for insects has not been the same, I hope that comes back. He continues to add weight, between 20 to 30 grams a week, currently weighing 443g as of yesterday. He looks good, is eating small amounts of salad, some days actually more than other days, some times I have to coax him, when I put him back into his viv I leave him by the salad and he will sometimes eat. He has a peculiar behavioral habit / quirk that sometimes when he goes to bask and open his mouth sometimes it has a small spasm and closes, he will then open his mouth and bask with out any problem. Its not causing any noticeable discomfort at all and he has no problem basking mouth open. I am going to get a CT scan to rule out anything else might be the cause.

I hate that I feel I have to post this but working 10-13+ hour days, on top of other things that occurred this past 12 months has put me in a depression and the time I'm finding I need with the extra time taking care of Rowan has gotten to be too much the past 8 or so weeks, emotionally & mentally, I continue to educate myself but it's all gotten very overwhelming & exhausting. Rowan is an absolute sweetheart, a very relaxed and loving dragon, never shown any aggression. Rowan loves having his beard rubbed , especially after feeding and wiped with a warm wet paper towel. And will sit on my chest or shoulders and observe what's going on around.

I made mistakes at the beginning with lighting but kept learning and trying, absorbed as much info as possible and got to work on making things right!
Rowan is currently in a 4'x2'x2 Zen Habitat, Arcadia 22" Ho-T5 Forest D3, inside terrarium, 10-12" from basking, using a Solarmeter 6.5r to measure UV, basking spot black slate with temp using a dimmer to reach 105F radiates out to about 98, cooler side temp kept around 80 using a BN-LINK Digital Heat Mat Thermostat Controller, an easy to clean 4'x2' Zen habitat floor Mat, At night I keep the temp around 70F to 76F.

Rowan 90% of the time comes down to the ground level to poop, and is easily cleaned up, otherwise I wash any item with benzalkonium chloride diluted solution, steam clean for a few minutes (inc floor mat, with Rowan out of the viv), and sometimes use Sanikein on items, let it dry and wipe rinse, these routines have been effective killing the coccidia and keeping him clear.

Unfortunately my apartment get's no direct sunlight. What has also helped Rowan, when its over 70 degrees outside and sun is shining, I take my lunch period around him and take Rowan out each day to the park for a min of 40 mins in the sun.

Some recent photos & video:
05292022_ROWAN - Google Drive

As dificult as it is, if I can find an experienced caregiver with Atadenovirus ADV+ experience & knowledge, and who has and is willing to take the time with Rowan into a stable home I would rehome.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is my bearded dragons left side supposed to be hard, it’s right above its left leg in the back, it’s kind of hard? i feed it insects and greens. not sure if it’s normal or not? i can post pictures.
His first vet visit went well! Abelardo Texas looks good physically according to his new Dr.
Unfortunately, on the fecal it showed that he has Coccidia. Not a surprise honestly... he has been having diarrhea since I got him. I got Albon, F10, and a steam cleaner on hand.
I'm kinda freaked out, I heard coccidia is a beast to get rid of. Wish me luck! 😭
Sorry didn’t mean to post the last post was an accident, but I do have a question I have a 7 month old dragon, her name is Smaug and she will not eat her salad I have tried everything that I can, just wondering if anyone can help me because I’m stuck and I know that she should probably be eating them by now! If anyone can give me ideas that would be great!
-mia
Hello there I have Created a websites
Check and rate it Wearglam USA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sritikaso
Top Bottom