Confused about uvb...again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanrese

I’m putting a 48x24x24 tank together and I’m not sure about the appropriate height for the uvb. I’m also debating t5 vs t8. From what I’ve read, t5 seems like the better choice for the 24” height. I’m looking at Arcadia 14%. Do I need reflectors on the fixture for it to work the best? And it’s a 24” length on the fixture. Too short? Not enough coverage? Lol, so confusing.
Since this is an upgrade for my 11 month old “Max”, I’m going to go bioactive. Any suggestions? I guess I will need a plant light too! It’s never ending lol.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shannon
Mom to Max, Ruby and No Name yet

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I have a viv that size and have a Arcadia 12% bulb that is 12-15 inches above the basking decor. The viv came with a 36" fixture installed, but I think I'd rather have a 24" if I could do it over again. Where it is placed there is at least a good gradient for Sir Henry to move around and choose from. You will want the reflector on the fixture. I do not have experience with bio-active setups though, so someone may have more input for you on that respect.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I cant answer the questions about the bio active light but the Arcadia 14 % is a strong bulb distance on that would be 17-18 inches directly above the basking decor --- the 24" fixture is fine for your tank -- you can also use the T5 as well --- I have used both in my tanks - as mine are 24" high too -- currently I am using the Arcadia 12% bulbs -- which are considered T 5's -- and distance is 12-15 inches -- and yes you want fixtures w/ reflectors ---

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I second that about the 14% those are made for large enclosures a 12% with reflector would be better choice my viv is 24 tall and thats what we use

I use a 36” as well. When I redo the lighting, I’m going bioactive as well, I’m going to install it on an angle. I also picked up a 36” jungle dawn because that’s what was in stock. I’d probably have went 24” for that but I’ll just angle that too. The 36” does fine in a 48” though. Just make a nice height gradient from hot side to cold side. Angled branch or something.

I use a 36” as well. When I redo the lighting, I’m going bioactive as well, I’m going to install it on an angle. I also picked up a 36” jungle dawn because that’s what was in stock. I’d probably have went 24” for that but I’ll just angle that too. The 36” does fine in a 48” though. Just make a nice height gradient from hot side to cold side. Angled branch or something.

Edit- I use the 12% as well. 14 is too powerful for interior mount in my viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom