Confession....

I lost Rocky yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, it has finally happened, I screwed up! Whenever I take Rocky on a vacation, he comes back and thinks he's this new beardie and I forget he's more "advanced" than when I left.
Silly me keeps to our routine and Rocky plays along but this time.... Rocky who I was so excited about because he can enter and exit his enclosure on his own via a ramp decides to JUMP off the ramp. I can't confirm if it was a jump or fall but either way, it was a 4 ft dive (what is that, 100 ft by beardie calculations) onto a hardwood floor. Of course, I freaked out but all is well.
With no injuries, I examine Rocky just in case because I am a little crazy over Rocky, okay- a lot.
I must've examined Rocky 5 times- he's all good.

Later in the day it's window time. As the ramp has been removed, Rocky goes to the edge of the bench near his enclosure to wait for me when he's ready to return. I know around the time he does this so if I step out of the room for a moment, I will quickly return. Unfortunately work got in the way and I had a meeting. I got off the zoom with 2 minutes as opposed to 1 minute- I didn't care I was the facilitator, I put the participants in groups and thought I could put Rocky into the enclosure and return quickly.
ROCKY WAS GONE! OMG- I freaked out. That anything can happen in a split moment is so true. I calmed myself down and it did not work. I followed the path of the window- nothing. I looked under the furniture near the window- nothing! I checked the corners of the room-nothing!

I am sweating.
I could take a moment, resuming working and search again, he may resurface but there's no way that I could concentrate - and besides, I have priorities here! I thought about the open door, the stairs, everything flashed through my mind- yes, I am dramatic, but all of these precautions flashed through my mind. Rocky never ever goes beyond the bench OR SO I THOUGHT!

Well, at this point I am on my hands and knees, sweating- it's bad. I am hoping I hit mute as I am screaming his name. I knew he wouldn't answer but maybe he would come. As I frantically walked in circles, checked the additional rooms, I decided to check near his enclosure which is too high for him to enter on his own, the light was off and the doors were closed so there was no way he was in it-

I then found Rocky! He was in the corner underneath the stand of his enclosure. I saw the tip of his tail wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in the back, in the corner as he was laying down looking at me- I was OVER IT.
Of course, I checked him, Rocky was fine. I hug him- we cuddle for 3 minutes, I put him in his enclosure, and I resumed the meeting.
OMG I can't go through that again.

Lesson- look near the enclosure
Truest lesson- DON'T STEP AWAY FROM THE BEARDIE- even when you think you know it's habits.
Sign: I don't need a second beardie

While I beardie proofed the room, the door was left open, and I took for granted the speed of our blooming comfort level.
Yesterday sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's rough when they go missing like that, I know how you feel. They are pretty curious and will roam around, but can also be pretty smart and find their way back to their spot. Eventually you get used to their usual hiding spots, but they sometimes find a new spot to explore/hide and that can be nerve racking.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm glad you found him and he is ok, that is a scary feeling.
3 outta 5 beardies i have had would/will go back to their habitats, the other 2 are to lazy to even explore if i put them on the floor lol.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Thank you everyone! So here's what I did because I just can't get over the scare or I'm just crazy. I closed the door and sat with Rocky on my lap. Rocky is so hesitant before taking action (even going to the window- he contemplates at least 5 minutes before his initial move but then he's all set- okay, 2 minutes but it feels like forever). I watched to see what he would do. You're right @xp29 he walked 5 steps backwards, explored to the right (stared up towards the window in which he sits) then went right in front of the enclosure. Now because I was present, maybe that is why he didn't go underneath it this time but he stopped right in front.

He looked towards the bright light then turned around towards me like, "do your job and pick me up."

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Yup, i know that look. Chomp used to go back in the house when she was done being outside and wait on me to come put her back. She would also go to the sliding glass door and beg to go outside. They are smarter than people give them credit for.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom