Concerning stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krw7454

Bathed my 2ish year old 400ish gram beardie cause he hadn't pooped for a couple days and the attached photos was the stool. Should i be worried?
Hes been eating normally - carrots dusted with calcium powder everyday (stopped eating greens since carrot became fav food)?. Crickets every other day
4’ long tank, hot end usually about 34C. UVB strip bulb

Attachments

• 28ABA836-A485-4F5E-8406-4A3BA69B9299.jpeg
    28ABA836-A485-4F5E-8406-4A3BA69B9299.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 053679E6-FD4D-47CF-A88F-460564F8004E.jpeg
    053679E6-FD4D-47CF-A88F-460564F8004E.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 65

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Bathed my 2ish year old 400ish gram beardie cause he hadn't pooped for a couple days and the attached photos was the stool. Should i be worried?
Hes been eating normally - carrots dusted with calcium powder everyday (stopped eating greens since carrot became fav food)?. Crickets every other day
4’ long tank, hot end usually about 34C. UVB strip bulb
Well it looks moist but good please watch the carrots tho you dont want to feed so much it will give too much Vit A -- it may turn his urate orange then you know its too many -- what UVB are you using and does it have a reflector on the fixture ?

Krw7454

Original Poster
Well it looks moist but good please watch the carrots tho you dont want to feed so much it will give too much Vit A -- it may turn his urate orange then you know its too many -- what UVB are you using and does it have a reflector on the fixture ?
Could be watery cause I scooped it out of the bath
Im using a strip bulb like same shape as a fluorescent bulb except its UVB and yeah its in a reflector, spans the length of the tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Could be watery cause I scooped it out of the bath
Im using a strip bulb like same shape as a fluorescent bulb except its UVB and yeah its in a reflector, spans the length of the tank
Ok inside the tank or top of screen? Brand and bulb please-- T 5 or T 8 the placement and distance is crucial between the two bulbs

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its on top of a screen; heres a few pics
(ive taken stuff out of his tank for cleaning)
View attachment 67066 View attachment 67067
Ok so please change your bulb out to a reptisun 10.0 T 8 it's a way better bulb- next please take the screen off or put it inside the tank - the T 8 is not strong enough to go thru your screen- distance for a T 8 is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor

Krw7454

Original Poster
Ok so please change your bulb out to a reptisun 10.0 T 8 it's a way better bulb- next please take the screen off or put it inside the tank - the T 8 is not strong enough to go thru your screen- distance for a T 8 is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor
My bulb is already a 10.0 T8 so why would I spend twice the amount for just a different brand?

Krw7454

Original Poster
It's a way better bulb-
Why is it better? Just because its a popular brand? If youre recommending something you should probably have a good grasp on why its better. Why should I pay $80+ when i can get the same specs for $40ish

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Why is it better? Just because its a popular brand? If youre recommending something you should probably have a good grasp on why its better. Why should I pay $80+ when i can get the same specs for $40ish
If the bulb is $80 then you're paying too much. The fixture is that much, but the bulb should not be, although that is from my experience here in the US and it sounds like you are somewhere else. Reptisun and Arcadia are the most popular because they are the best quality and most consistent. And there is no reason to be rude about it.

Krw7454

Original Poster
If the bulb is $80 then you're paying too much. The fixture is that much, but the bulb should not be, although that is from my experience here in the US and it sounds like you are somewhere else. Reptisun and Arcadia are the most popular because they are the best quality and most consistent. And there is no reason to be rude about it.
Yeah in australia that brand is around $80. I wasnt trying to be rude, its just kinda frustrating when people say a products better but have no reasons or evidence to back it up cause yeah if it was actually better id consider buying one.
anyway what does a uvb bulb have to do with the colour of my beardies poop

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Yeah in australia that brand is around $80. I wasnt trying to be rude, its just kinda frustrating when people say a products better but have no reasons or evidence to back it up cause yeah if it was actually better id consider buying one.
anyway what does a uvb bulb have to do with the colour of my beardies poop
Well the quality of the bulb can affect the amount of UV he is getting, which affects digestion which could lead to weird poops. Karrie is very direct and obviously passionate about the subject of lighting as you can tell if you have read just about any other thread on this site, and it can come off with a little, "If you're not using this it's wrong" vibe that I could see rubbing some people the wrong way. Doing my own research, I couldn't necessarily point out specifications or anything that make those particular bulbs better or yours "worse," but I know that both the Arcadia and ZooMed are consistently rated as the best options out there and have been around for a lot of years, so I trust that they have achieved that status for a reason, which is why it was worth it to me personally to use the ZooMed.

I'm also a little sensitive sometimes when I feel people are being rude because a big part of my job is teaching people appropriate, respectful ways to communicate other than destroying property or assaulting people, so I apologize for jumping on you.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Ok for me personally if I was using an enclosure with a mesh top (which I never would but that is personal choice for a number of reasons) and I wanted the UV tube to rest on top of the mesh then I would definitely go with a T5 tube rather than a T8.

The reason for this is the T8 tubes (which are older technology) produce UV light with shorter wavelengths which means that they have a shorter penetration into the viv. T8 also have a lower UV output than the more modern T5's which again directly impacts the amount of UV light that your dragon is exposed to. T8's also have a significantly shorter life span than a T5 meaning that their optimal output of UV light is only about 6 months before it needs to be replaced whereas a T5 normally lasts for 12.

The final factor you need to take into consideration when placing tubes on top of the vivarium mesh is the mesh itself. The mesh acts as a barrier to how much light is penetrating down into your viv and as an average indicator it is normally accepted that about 30% of that penetration is lost (though this will definitely vary from brand to brand).

The recommended distance from tube to basking spot, to allow optimal light absorbtion for your dragon, with a T8 tube is about 8" with a T5 it is 12-15"

So taking all these factors into consideration (height of tube to basking spot, intensity of emission, reduction of light penetration through mesh, etc) it then becomes apparent that a T5 is going to be a much better option for an 'over-mesh' set up.

In regards to the question of brands and why some are recommended more than others boils down to the manufacturing process of the tubes themselves and the actual amounts and frequencies of the UV they produce. UV light, like all light spectrums, is broken down into frequencies and natural sunlight contains various percentages of these frequencies within its make up. So whilst two seperate brands may be emitting 10 or 12% of the total UVB spectrum in their overall light emissions one of them may be designed to better match these frequencies and percentages to that of natural sunlight than the other.

To complicate matters more UV light is further split into two categories - UVA and UVB and the percentage emitted by tubes of these two types of light can also vary widely between different tubes. Again you want a tube that matches this split to natural sunlight as close as possible.

Both of the brands that are recommended on this forum have been thoroughly tested and have proven to match natural sunlight as close as possible, both in the frequencies of light they emit and in percentage ratio too. A lot of other tubes sold as UV reptile tubes do not have this match and some have even been found to contain dangerous levels of various spectrums and frequencies of light!

An easy way to visualise this is to put two different brands of daylight bulbs side by side and switch them on. You will notice the colours dont match. This is down to their manufacturating process which results in them both emitting different percentages of the various frequencies and spectrums of light.

In regards to why your UV tube has a bearing on the colour of your dragons poo is simple to answer. The efficiency of your dragons digestive system has been fine tuned by nature over millions of years to be controlled directly by the UV emissions produced by the sun. A dragon uses the absorbed UVA to maintain its digestive system and the absorbed UVB in the metabolization of calcium and D3 (used for growth and bone development) If the bulb you are using is not producing enough of the correct UVA light frequencies then your dragon might not be fully digesting the food that it eats - which in turn would have a direct influence on the colour of your dragons poo!

Hope this has helped somewhat in the questions you asked

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok for me personally if I was using an enclosure with a mesh top (which I never would but that is personal choice for a number of reasons) and I wanted the UV tube to rest on top of the mesh then I would definitely go with a T5 tube rather than a T8.

The reason for this is the T8 tubes (which are older technology) produce UV light with shorter wavelengths which means that they have a shorter penetration into the viv. T8 also have a lower UV output than the more modern T5's which again directly impacts the amount of UV light that your dragon is exposed to. T8's also have a significantly shorter life span than a T5 meaning that their optimal output of UV light is only about 6 months before it needs to be replaced whereas a T5 normally lasts for 12.

The final factor you need to take into consideration when placing tubes on top of the vivarium mesh is the mesh itself. The mesh acts as a barrier to how much light is penetrating down into your viv and as an average indicator it is normally accepted that about 30% of that penetration is lost (though this will definitely vary from brand to brand).

The recommended distance from tube to basking spot, to allow optimal light absorbtion for your dragon, with a T8 tube is about 8" with a T5 it is 12-15"

So taking all these factors into consideration (height of tube to basking spot, intensity of emission, reduction of light penetration through mesh, etc) it then becomes apparent that a T5 is going to be a much better option for an 'over-mesh' set up.

In regards to the question of brands and why some are recommended more than others boils down to the manufacturing process of the tubes themselves and the actual amounts and frequencies of the UV they produce. UV light, like all light spectrums, is broken down into frequencies and natural sunlight contains various percentages of these frequencies within its make up. So whilst two seperate brands may be emitting 10 or 12% of the total UVB spectrum in their overall light emissions one of them may be designed to better match these frequencies and percentages to that of natural sunlight than the other.

To complicate matters more UV light is further split into two categories - UVA and UVB and the percentage emitted by tubes of these two types of light can also vary widely between different tubes. Again you want a tube that matches this split to natural sunlight as close as possible.

Both of the brands that are recommended on this forum have been thoroughly tested and have proven to match natural sunlight as close as possible, both in the frequencies of light they emit and in percentage ratio too. A lot of other tubes sold as UV reptile tubes do not have this match and some have even been found to contain dangerous levels of various spectrums and frequencies of light!

An easy way to visualise this is to put two different brands of daylight bulbs side by side and switch them on. You will notice the colours dont match. This is down to their manufacturating process which results in them both emitting different percentages of the various frequencies and spectrums of light.

In regards to why your UV tube has a bearing on the colour of your dragons poo is simple to answer. The efficiency of your dragons digestive system has been fine tuned by nature over millions of years to be controlled directly by the UV emissions produced by the sun. A dragon uses the absorbed UVA to maintain its digestive system and the absorbed UVB in the metabolization of calcium and D3 (used for growth and bone development) If the bulb you are using is not producing enough of the correct UVA light frequencies then your dragon might not be fully digesting the food that it eats - which in turn would have a direct influence on the colour of your dragons poo!

Hope this has helped somewhat in the questions you asked
You explained that way better than I -- it is up to the op to get the better quality of bulb - I can only recommend what has proven to work and be more beneficial to the dragon - it is up to them to take the recommendation - a lot of the brands on the market are clones to what an actual good bulb is and does and the ones on this website if you look under resources then lighting it gives those recommendations - those clones I am talking about are usually made in China and are not recommended because of the quality

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
You explained that way better than I -- it is up to the op to get the better quality of bulb - I can only recommend what has proven to work and be more beneficial to the dragon - it is up to them to take the recommendation - a lot of the brands on the market are clones to what an actual good bulb is and does and the ones on this website if you look under resources then lighting it gives those recommendations - those clones I am talking about are usually made in China and are not recommended because of the quality
well if you actually know the reasons why they are better and explain it rather than just giving the answer 'its a better bulb' then you'll find people are more likely to listen to what you have to say :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom