Concerning Blood work for beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mightymouse

I’ve recently taken my beardie to the vet because I believe he started to have a seizure. He was flat belly and had his head back with his mouth wide open and puffed out beard. It lasted a couple seconds at most and it’s the first time he has done it. They did blood work and it basically says
HCT is “low” and his Azurophilic Monocytes are high
SGOT(AST) is pretty high
And his CPK is very high
Everything else seems in range according to the blood work ranges. They mentioned antibiotic treatment but I’m not sure what that means for him. He doesn’t seem to be very sick. I got him from a friend about 2 years ago and he’s never changed. The vet told me he seemed dehydrated by how slow his blood was coming out while taking the sample so I have been getting him to drink more water. He eats like normal and he poops but not more than once or twice a week. Is there any way antibiotics won’t help or can make it worse? Is there antibiotics to avoid for them that the vet might try? Natural remedies/vitamins? Is there anything I should give him or do before, after or during the antibiotic treatment?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
This person is a vet tech and sells a lot of very good products I actually give my beardie the hydration and mineral mix she makes. She may have advice and you should check out her site bugdelite.com she has stuff that’s helps during treatments to help with gut flora and probiotics. I hope this helps.
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I just happened to see the title & was going to ask if you had a copy of the blood work you could
post?
I normally don't recommend antibiotics without reason, if there isn't an infection or they can't find
an infection, they are more harmful than helpful.
The CPK elevates many times simply from stress due to a blood draw & sometimes from trauma or
injury.
Has he recently been brumating, or not?
If you have pictures, please post them for us, too.

Tracie

Mightymouse

Original Poster
Hello,

I just happened to see the title & was going to ask if you had a copy of the blood work you could
post?
I normally don't recommend antibiotics without reason, if there isn't an infection or they can't find
an infection, they are more harmful than helpful.
The CPK elevates many times simply from stress due to a blood draw & sometimes from trauma or
injury.
Has he recently been brumating, or not?
If you have pictures, please post them for us, too.

Tracie

Attachments

• FC54D382-64EA-4A40-A84C-9900691C81E9.jpeg
    FC54D382-64EA-4A40-A84C-9900691C81E9.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 82
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom