Concerned about weird behavior

Orion1002

I’m quite concerned about my little one. Tonight when I came home from work I took her out to give her a bath and then fed her. When I fed her she kind of fell off of her rock (which happens from time to time because she’s so excited about meal time) but she kind of rolled and couldn’t climb up very well. She also went to grab at a larvae and she just kind of fell over to the side. To me it just seems like she didn’t have very good balance which is weird. She also has been sitting on her hammock with is on the cooler side and and not under her basking light today like normal. Normally she stays on her rock hide under the basking light the majority of the time but she was on the hammock which is kind of in the middle today that my mom noticed while I was at work and then she went there again after dinner. Combining this with the balance thing I’m just kind of concerned.

Husbandry: 40 gallon tank; 10.0 T5 reptisun uvb light in the reptisun fixture sat on top of the tank, installed in mid October; zoo med 100w basking bulb; temp probe and just checked the temp after feeding and it was about 107 under the basking spot; reptile carpet as substrate; feed 40 medium size BSFL from Flukers in the morning and at night; mustards greens and bell peppers are available all day sprinkle salad every day with calcium powder with vit D3 and reptivite (a multi vitamin powder); lights are on automatic timer and they come on at 7am and go off at 9:00pm; spritzed with water three times a day and given a 5 minute bath three times a week and don’t keep water in her tank.

I think that’s most of the things husbandry wise. Her poops look ok-ish I guess as they have some form and I see loose urate and she poops every day but sometimes every other day. I do notice sometimes there looks like food that has not been completely digested. Her urate is white mostly but can have a pink or red tinge but her favorite bell peppers are orange so I chalked that up to the color of the veg.

Oh and I should mention that my mom saw her on the hammock today and thought she looked a darker color and so I told her to check her basking temp with the probe and I think she messed it up and lowered it a bit too much after she initially increased it. When I came home and checked it after I fed her it wouldn’t slowly rise above low 90s. I automatically put it up to the correct temp (I have a dimmer on the hood) but when I went back to check on her like 15 minutes after, she was still not on the basking rock like normal.

So anyway I’m just really worried about her. I work at a vets office who has a sister clinic that has a vet that sees exotics. So I set her up for a first visit on March 6th as that will be when my beginner probationary period will be up and I get the employee discount, but now I’m concerned I should try to get her in sooner even if I don’t have the discount yet. Or even at a different vet in my town that does exotics.

I got her from petco on October 2nd and I think she was about 3-4 months then. She has done a full shed twice since then and it was in patches (like the tail went first and then the legs and feet then the head and finally the body). She normally would start to show signs of starting again with her tail turning grey. Also what I thought was weird was a couple of days ago I saw a random piece of shed on her chest and have noticed that the bottom portion of her legs and her feet and around her mouth are dull like going to shed color. Sorry adding more things into the pot but trying to give as much info as possible. Any advice would be much appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’m quite concerned about my little one. Tonight when I came home from work I took her out to give her a bath and then fed her. When I fed her she kind of fell off of her rock (which happens from time to time because she’s so excited about meal time) but she kind of rolled and couldn’t climb up very well. She also went to grab at a larvae and she just kind of fell over to the side. To me it just seems like she didn’t have very good balance which is weird. She also has been sitting on her hammock with is on the cooler side and and not under her basking light today like normal. Normally she stays on her rock hide under the basking light the majority of the time but she was on the hammock which is kind of in the middle today that my mom noticed while I was at work and then she went there again after dinner. Combining this with the balance thing I’m just kind of concerned.

Husbandry: 40 gallon tank; 10.0 T5 reptisun uvb light in the reptisun fixture sat on top of the tank, installed in mid October; zoo med 100w basking bulb; temp probe and just checked the temp after feeding and it was about 107 under the basking spot; reptile carpet as substrate; feed 40 medium size BSFL from Flukers in the morning and at night; mustards greens and bell peppers are available all day sprinkle salad every day with calcium powder with vit D3 and reptivite (a multi vitamin powder); lights are on automatic timer and they come on at 7am and go off at 9:00pm; spritzed with water three times a day and given a 5 minute bath three times a week and don’t keep water in her tank.

I think that’s most of the things husbandry wise. Her poops look ok-ish I guess as they have some form and I see loose urate and she poops every day but sometimes every other day. I do notice sometimes there looks like food that has not been completely digested. Her urate is white mostly but can have a pink or red tinge but her favorite bell peppers are orange so I chalked that up to the color of the veg.

Oh and I should mention that my mom saw her on the hammock today and thought she looked a darker color and so I told her to check her basking temp with the probe and I think she messed it up and lowered it a bit too much after she initially increased it. When I came home and checked it after I fed her it wouldn’t slowly rise above low 90s. I automatically put it up to the correct temp (I have a dimmer on the hood) but when I went back to check on her like 15 minutes after, she was still not on the basking rock like normal.

So anyway I’m just really worried about her. I work at a vets office who has a sister clinic that has a vet that sees exotics. So I set her up for a first visit on March 6th as that will be when my beginner probationary period will be up and I get the employee discount, but now I’m concerned I should try to get her in sooner even if I don’t have the discount yet. Or even at a different vet in my town that does exotics.

I got her from petco on October 2nd and I think she was about 3-4 months then. She has done a full shed twice since then and it was in patches (like the tail went first and then the legs and feet then the head and finally the body). She normally would start to show signs of starting again with her tail turning grey. Also what I thought was weird was a couple of days ago I saw a random piece of shed on her chest and have noticed that the bottom portion of her legs and her feet and around her mouth are dull like going to shed color. Sorry adding more things into the pot but trying to give as much info as possible. Any advice would be much appreciated!
The shedding you described is normal- the surface basking temps are you taking them w/ a digital probe thermometer- and the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type?

Orion1002

Original Poster
The shedding you described is normal- the surface basking temps are you taking them w/ a digital probe thermometer- and the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type?
I’m using the zoo med digital probe thermometer for the surface temps and I posted a pic of the mesh before here and someone said it was the wide mesh so it was fine for the uvb to be on top. I’ll see if I can find that picture!

Orion1002

Original Poster
1673489341144.jpeg

Orion1002

Original Poster
Ok so do you have a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 8-10 inches- once we rule this out we need to move on to see what else is the issue w/ her falling over etc
I don’t have a picture of her rock hide and the light together and her lights have gone out for the night, but I’ll try to describe it. The highest part of her hide is about 5-6 inches and on the outer ring of the basking light and then the platform that is directly under the light is about 10 inches I think. Here’s a picture of the top of the hide to help you sort of (her first body shed in late October).

Attachments

• 1673490362711.jpeg
    1673490362711.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 52

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don’t have a picture of her rock hide and the light together and her lights have gone out for the night, but I’ll try to describe it. The highest part of her hide is about 5-6 inches and on the outer ring of the basking light and then the platform that is directly under the light is about 10 inches I think. Here’s a picture of the top of the hide to help you sort of (her first body shed in late October).
Ok so it sounds like things are good for the uvb but undigested food is basking temps are not high enough - the off balance could be different things but I wanted to rule the uvb out- I flagging your post to Tracie our vet tech
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is troubling when they have balance issues. Has her beard been black at all?
To confirm, you have the Reptisun 10 T5 tube bulb on top of the screen & she can get within
a 6 to 10 inch distance of the bulb?
Do you know what the humidity in her tank is?
It is possible it is too dry causing inner ear trouble & balance problems. Or, she simply might
not be absorbing her calcium properly for some reason.
I agree, you will need to increase the basking temperatures some to help with digestion.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Orion1002

Original Poster
Hello,

That is troubling when they have balance issues. Has her beard been black at all?
To confirm, you have the Reptisun 10 T5 tube bulb on top of the screen & she can get within
a 6 to 10 inch distance of the bulb?
Do you know what the humidity in her tank is?
It is possible it is too dry causing inner ear trouble & balance problems. Or, she simply might
not be absorbing her calcium properly for some reason.
I agree, you will need to increase the basking temperatures some to help with digestion.

Tracie
Her beard has been normal when I’m home and my mom hasn’t said anything about it while I’m at work.
Yes that is correct for the uvb info. I don’t know what the humidity is in her tank though. I will try to get a reader Friday when I’m off or this weekend at the largest to check! I don’t keep a water bowl in there for worrying that it could cause respiratory issues but perhaps I am keeping it too dry? I do spritz her inside her tank three times a day though.

I increased the basking light last night after I fed her so I will definitely update how she is when I get off of work tonight! I put her worms and veggies in the tank in the morning before I go to work and the light comes on, so she was sleeping when I left this morning but back on her rock hide which made me feel a bit better.

Could the big decrease in temperature yesterday because my mom dimmed the light too much have effected it? I was just wondering since that’s the only thing that’s really changed before the acute imbalance onset.

Thank you both so much, I really appreciate your help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Her beard has been normal when I’m home and my mom hasn’t said anything about it while I’m at work.
Yes that is correct for the uvb info. I don’t know what the humidity is in her tank though. I will try to get a reader Friday when I’m off or this weekend at the largest to check! I don’t keep a water bowl in there for worrying that it could cause respiratory issues but perhaps I am keeping it too dry? I do spritz her inside her tank three times a day though.

I increased the basking light last night after I fed her so I will definitely update how she is when I get off of work tonight! I put her worms and veggies in the tank in the morning before I go to work and the light comes on, so she was sleeping when I left this morning but back on her rock hide which made me feel a bit better.

Could the big decrease in temperature yesterday because my mom dimmed the light too much have effected it? I was just wondering since that’s the only thing that’s really changed before the acute imbalance onset.

Thank you both so much, I really appreciate your help!
Please get a digital probe hygrometer -- the analogs are not very accurate - Exo Terra sells them
optimal humidity in the tank is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% --- place the probe on the back center wall of the tank

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Personally i would have blood work done, have them specifically check for avd. Avd can cause neurological issues and being a box store dragon you have no idea what she may have been exposed to. It probably is not avd, but care for a dragon with it is different than one without, it would be better to know sooner rather than later on the off chance that is whats going on.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No bloodwork, babies are too small.
Orion, you say you bathed her + then fed her, my first suggestion is to end that. They don't need baths unless they're dirty, or just every 2 weeks if the dragon likes it + drinks during. No feeding should be done after a dragon is done floating in comparatively cool water. Water getting in the ear can also cause lack of balance. That could be an ear infection that might respond to antibiotics. Then there's the possibility that the dragon's at the store were all carrying something.
Exactly how long is your baby and can you post pics of the size insects + peppers you're feeding her ? You're actually taking very good care of your baby so don't feel guilty, hopefully this will be something that can be taken care of.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Checking for ADV is a good idea, they do that with a cloacal swab. Drache613 , who has already responded on your thread, works with the lab that is studying a cure for it. She can get the test done for you by the experts and at a very low cost at that lab.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I didn't realize they could check for it that way, imho i think that is much preferred, i HATE the idea of poking them with a needle. (at any age)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, definitely she could have gotten water in one of her ears possibly which could cause
balance issues. I would mist her out of her tank though, just so you don't have any mold or
mildew problems.
It is usually good to aim for tank humidity in a range of 30-40% really. I don't blame you for
not keeping a water dish in her tank. most of us here don't either.
If your mom dimmed her basking light she might not have stayed warm enough. Since you
had mentioned her behavior started after that, it is possible.

Tracie

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom