Status
Not open for further replies.

cailgrail

I got a new beardie just a few days ago (Saturday, not sure exactly how old she is but young) she was totally fine eating, loved her greens day 1, not so much day 2, loved her crickets both days. Then today suddenly NOTHING. I have managed to get about 5 cricket in her over the course of the day. I'm a little nervous, it's my understanding that young beardies should be eating like crazy. The tank is a good size for a young dragon, temperature and humidity are good. She's been glass surfing which I feel like might have something to do with it. I've been trying to block the reflections. I also noticed her attempting some digging. I currently have reptile carpet in her tank, could that be it? If so what should I give her to dig in, basically all lose substrates the internet says are dangerous.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I got a new beardie just a few days ago (Saturday, not sure exactly how old she is but young) she was totally fine eating, loved her greens day 1, not so much day 2, loved her crickets both days. Then today suddenly NOTHING. I have managed to get about 5 cricket in her over the course of the day. I'm a little nervous, it's my understanding that young beardies should be eating like crazy. The tank is a good size for a young dragon, temperature and humidity are good. She's been glass surfing which I feel like might have something to do with it. I've been trying to block the reflections. I also noticed her attempting some digging. I currently have reptile carpet in her tank, could that be it? If so what should I give her to dig in, basically all lose substrates the internet says are dangerous.
Yes no loose substrates- please tell me what uvb your using coil or tube basking bulb is it a Clear bright white bulb? Please no colored no off white or yellowish bulbs- No daytime bulbs- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? You want a digital probe thermometer- you want surface temps not air- or ambient - these things I am asking are extremely important and will control the overall health and behavior-

cailgrail

Original Poster
Yes no loose substrates- please tell me what uvb your using coil or tube basking bulb is it a Clear bright white bulb? Please no colored no off white or yellowish bulbs- No daytime bulbs- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? You want a digital probe thermometer- you want surface temps not air- or ambient - these things I am asking are extremely important and will control the overall health and behavior-
Ok so. UVB: Thrive 26-watt dessert UVB coil bulb, Basking bulb: Thrive 100-watt essential basking spot bulb, basking temps are a little over 100 degrees Fahrenheit I am taking them with the thermometer that came with my tank that sticks to the wall.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so. UVB: Thrive 26-watt dessert UVB coil bulb, Basking bulb: Thrive 100-watt essential basking spot bulb, basking temps are a little over 100 degrees Fahrenheit I am taking them with the thermometer that came with my tank that sticks to the wall.
Ok the thrive 26 watt is not any good if your gonna stay w/ the the coil uvb please get a reptisun 26 watt- I am not hot on coils -- the best uvb's are a long tube fixture-- like a 24" Zoo Med w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 this fixture comes w a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb -- for a 40+ gallon tank-- the coil needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor unobstructed-- please get 2 digital probe thermometers place the probe on the place where he sits for basking wait 10 min then get the temps-- please let me know what your going to do w/ your uvb if decide to change it out- I would get rid of the coils all together- the basking bulb is ok you need temps 105-110 please get the uvb changed out that thrive is inadequate- he won't eat w/out these things corrected

cailgrail

Original Poster
Ok the thrive 26 watt is not any good if your gonna stay w/ the the coil uvb please get a reptisun 26 watt- I am not hot on coils -- the best uvb's are a long tube fixture-- like a 24" Zoo Med w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 this fixture comes w a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb -- for a 40+ gallon tank-- the coil needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor unobstructed-- please get 2 digital probe thermometers place the probe on the place where he sits for basking wait 10 min then get the temps-- please let me know what your going to do w/ your uvb if decide to change it out- I would get rid of the coils all together- the basking bulb is ok you need temps 105-110 please get the uvb changed out that thrive is inadequate- he won't eat w/out these things corrected
Ok. Digital probe thermometer has been purchased to arrive tomorrow, trying to find a tube UVB lamp and fixture that is the right specs, doesn't cost an arm and a leg (I mean I am willing to pay for it for her health), and will arrive quickly has been more of a struggle. I found this: Zoo Med Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood Reptile Lighting, 14" : Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies
it is the fixture with a bulb, would arrive Wednesday/Thursday, only difference is it's half the length, would that be an issue? The only one I found for the 24 inch is like $160 and wouldn't arrive till the end of the month. I'm probably being over paranoid about, if the set up is causing any issues, how long she can be in there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok. Digital probe lamp has been purchased to arrive tomorrow, trying to find a tube UVB lamp and fixture that is the right specs, doesn't cost an arm and a leg (I mean I am willing to pay for it for her health), and will arrive quickly has been more of a struggle. I found this: Zoo Med Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood Reptile Lighting, 14" : Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies
it is the fixture with a bulb, would arrive Wednesday/Thursday, only difference is it's half the length, would that be an issue? The only one I found for the 24 inch is like $160 and wouldn't arrive till the end of the month. I'm probably being over paranoid about, if the set up is causing any issues, how long she can be in there.
24" fixture Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
22" bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
You got 2 of these or similar to Zoo Med Digital Thermometer
and your going to want a hygrometer as well
a digital probe one like this or similar to Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com
we can work on diet next -- insects / salads worms

cailgrail

Original Poster
24" fixture Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
22" bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
You got 2 of these or similar to Zoo Med Digital Thermometer
and your going to want a hygrometer as well
a digital probe one like this or similar to Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com
we can work on diet next -- insects / salads worms
This is what I got for the thermometer (it is also a hygrometer) Itian LCD Digital Embedded Thermometer Hygrometer Probe for Reptile Black : Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies
That website you gave me does not ship to my country (Canada). Is the shorter not ok? How long can I wait on delivery for?
As for her diet, I have only had her for 3 days, she has been given crickets for protein and arugula for greens.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is what I got for the thermometer (it is also a hygrometer) Itian LCD Digital Embedded Thermometer Hygrometer Probe for Reptile Black : Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies
That website you gave me does not ship to my country (Canada). Is the shorter not ok? How long can I wait on delivery for?
As for her diet, I have only had her for 3 days, she has been given crickets for protein and arugula for greens.
ZM Reptisun T5 Terrarium Hood 24" fixture
ZM Reptisun T5 UVB 10.0 Linear 22" bulb
the 14" is way too small for a 40+ gallon tank
this fixture will go right into a bigger tank down the road like a 75-120 gallon tank or a 4x2x2 tank
crickets are good -- is she eating the arugula?
website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder Nutrition Content
you do want to get this corrected the UVB as soon as possible - shes going thru relocation stress so her eating will be off but you want her eating something -- its good you have caught this early ---
the hygrometer / temp is good the probe needs to go on the back center wall for the humidity it will read your whole tank I would get 2 more digital probe thermometers and it will read temps in the center of the tank I am thinking but you do want 2 more for basking side and cool side of the tank they are the most accurate

cailgrail

Original Poster
ZM Reptisun T5 Terrarium Hood 24" fixture
ZM Reptisun T5 UVB 10.0 Linear 22" bulb
the 14" is way too small for a 40+ gallon tank
this fixture will go right into a bigger tank down the road like a 75-120 gallon tank or a 4x2x2 tank
crickets are good -- is she eating the arugula?
website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder Nutrition Content
you do want to get this corrected the UVB as soon as possible - shes going thru relocation stress so her eating will be off but you want her eating something -- its good you have caught this early ---
the hygrometer / temp is good the probe needs to go on the back center wall for the humidity it will read your whole tank I would get 2 more digital probe thermometers and it will read temps in the center of the tank I am thinking but you do want 2 more for basking side and cool side of the tank they are the most accurate
I think I found it, same price as that one you sent me (Actually cheaper cuz this website has free shipping) and according to their website ships super quickly to me cuz they're in Canada
Hood: You are being redirected...
Lamp: You are being redirected...
Day 1: she ate quite a lot of the arugula I put out, I was quite impressed. Day 2: she ate a bit of it, more so crickets, and then we come to today when she wasn't eating greens at all and only a few crickets. This is actually my second beardie and my first we use kale as a staple so funny you mention that. As for the thermometers I am a little confused, at first you said two but now 3? One centre, One basking side, one cool side?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I think I found it, same price as that one you sent me (Actually cheaper cuz this website has free shipping) and according to their website ships super quickly to me cuz they're in Canada
Hood: You are being redirected...
Lamp: You are being redirected...
Day 1: she ate quite a lot of the arugula I put out, I was quite impressed. Day 2: she ate a bit of it, more so crickets, and then we come to today when she wasn't eating greens at all and only a few crickets. This is actually my second beardie and my first we use kale as a staple so funny you mention that. As for the thermometers I am a little confused, at first you said two but now 3? One centre, One basking side, one cool side?
The 14" is too small- you want a 24" at the smallest-- the hygrometer can be used for middle of tank temps but it should mainly be used for the humidity- you want 3 temps in the tank cool side 80' during the day middle of tank 90's and basking surface 105-110

cailgrail

Original Poster
The 14" is too small- you want a 24" at the smallest-- the hygrometer can be used for middle of tank temps but it should mainly be used for the humidity- you want 3 temps in the tank cool side 80' during the day middle of tank 90's and basking surface 105-110
Oh no, that website has 24" options in the dropdown selection on that page, the 14" is probably just what come up when you opened it cuz it's first I guess. Ok so 1 thermometer for basking side, 1 thermometer/hygrometer for middle, 1 thermometer for cool side? Does it matter if the two thermometers on the side also give a humidity reading? The type I got reads both.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh no, that website has 24" options in the dropdown selection on that page, the 14" is probably just what come up when you opened it cuz it's first I guess. Ok so 1 thermometer for basking side, 1 thermometer/hygrometer for middle, 1 thermometer for cool side? Does it matter if the two thermometers on the side also give a humidity reading? The type I got reads both.
You want to go by the one in the center of your tank- it's going to read the whole tank - your basking side and cool side will read different- hot side being the dryest of course-- optimal humidity 40-50% nothing below 20% nothing over 70%
When the uvb comes in post back on here so we can get it properly placed in the tank placement and distance will depend on the screen on your tank

cailgrail

Original Poster
You want to go by the one in the center of your tank- it's going to read the whole tank - your basking side and cool side will read different- hot side being the dryest of course-- optimal humidity 40-50% nothing below 20% nothing over 70%
When the uvb comes in post back on here so we can get it properly placed in the tank placement and distance will depend on the screen on your tank
Ok. I've purchased the uvb (in the right size from the website I sent) is there an ideal spot for the thermometers, like should they just be dead centre on the back wall and the side walls or closer to the ground or ceiling?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok. I've purchased the uvb (in the right size from the website I sent) is there an ideal spot for the thermometers, like should they just be dead centre on the back wall and the side walls or closer to the ground or ceiling?
The hot side get your surface temp put the probe on his basking spot after the bulb has had time to warm up 30 min at least then get basking temp when done place it on the side wall it will give ambient temps place the probe on the side wall on the cool side it will give ambient temps- place those probes like center of wall --

cailgrail

Original Poster
The hot side get your surface temp put the probe on his basking spot after the bulb has had time to warm up 30 min at least then get basking temp when done place it on the side wall it will give ambient temps place the probe on the side wall on the cool side it will give ambient temps- place those probes like center of wall --
Good news: there have been improvement today. She's still not exactly running at the chance for crickets, she's kinda struggling to notice them idk, but she's already eaten more just this morning than she did all day yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom