Concerned about my gravid beardie. Seeking advice.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Aw, poor baby she is definitely zonked out. Were any of the eggs shelled ? She will need to rest well tonight, be sure not to bother her at all, just let her sleep. She should be more alert in the a.m although they can come out of sedation pretty slowly.
No, it turned out none of them were even shelled. I had been giving her liquid calcium for the past five weeks too; she just has some weird anatomical stuff going on in her reproductive system. I was going to ask him to send me the pics to post but it's very graphic so idk if that's wanted or allowed here. Doc said to occasionally lift her tail up to help blood flow or something so I'm doing that, but I'll leave her alone otherwise.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's O.K to post pics here, just mark them as GRAPHIC . We see all sorts of stuff here, it's educational as well. Oh and I'd leave her tail alone.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
It's O.K to post pics here, just mark them as GRAPHIC . We see all sorts of stuff here, it's educational as well. Oh and I'd leave her tail alone.
Good to know. We just got home a little while ago and I set her up in her enclosure on her blanket. I left the room and came back and she was in a different spot. Then she started trying to run around with her eyes closed and flipped herself onto her back, so I'm probably going to be up all night making sure she doesn't hurt herself. I wasn't expecting her to start moving so quickly.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh wow, sounds like she's disoriented coming out of the anesthesia. It's good that you'll be staying up with her. Take anything hard + sharp out of her enclosure, just put down some towels.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Oh wow, sounds like she's disoriented coming out of the anesthesia. It's good that you'll be staying up with her. Take anything hard + sharp out of her enclosure, just put down some towels.
Already did before I put her in there, she's only got her blanket and some repti carpet on top of a Zen Habitats Mat. :) Maybe I'll line the edges with towels too just in case.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
All toweled up for safety and comfort. I hope she sleeps well. She hasn't moved since those disoriented running episodes, so hopefully she'll just sleep. I wonder if it had anything to do with the light coming on once we got home. Hopefully now that itll stay dark she wont be disturbed. It's not as bright in here as it looks, it's actually dark and my camera is in night mode.
20230331_212331.jpg

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Good morning! Pancake mostly slept through the night and only moved around a couple times. Now she's clumsily walking around. It's like watching a baby toddle about. It's really cute. I think she's gonna be okay, poor thing. I'm really grateful to have such a knowledgeable reptile vet only an hour away.
20230401_082512.jpg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Bless her heart, what an ordeal. Please keep us posted on her (and your) recovery. You are both bound to be exhausted.
Most of us fret and worry over every dragon here same as we would our on. We'll be sending prayers for a speedy recovery her way.

Thank you for posting about your journey through this ordeal. It's one of the things I'm terrified will happen to my girl. Hoping your little pancake has a fast and easy recovery!

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Thank you so much everyone for your kind words!!! It means so much to me!!! 🥺🥺💖💖 My mom watched Pancake for me while I was at work and she did super well today. She's been walking around and licking stuff in her enclosure. She hasn't eaten anything, but that's to be expected. She's still a little groggy from the anesthetic. I've got antibiotic shots I'll have to give her starting Monday. I hate needles 😵‍💫 but I'll do my best for Pancake's sake! Thank you all so much again!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Pancake looks really good there! Good luck giving the antibiotic shots, they aren't all that fun to give
to them, either.
It sounds like she was just really groggy & worn out from the anesthetics & that does happen often to
them after surgery.
I'm sure that she will start eating again, real soon. Keep us posted on her, she is a trooper!
She definitely had a lot of eggs inside & it does look like some infection throughtout that area, too.
It seems like a disastrous situation was averted, poor girl!

Tracie💗

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom