Concerned about my gravid beardie. Seeking advice.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
If you have a large shoebox laying around, cut one corner out and put it upside down over the sand hill. Dig a little more sand out as well.
Does this look OK? I didn't have a small enough box so I just built a tunnel shape.
20230329_210624.jpg

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Yes but pack a little more sand in one side and dig out a more narrow cave, then set her in.
20230329_214311.jpg

Got it. Now it's just a bit wider than her body and it goes back about 6 inches. Should I put her overnight? I've seen some people say yes and some no so I'm not sure. She's sleeping already though (it's almost 10pm here)

I appreciate your help so much you have no idea

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Best to leave her sleeping now. I know you were hoping she'd lay eggs before the vet visit, maybe if you get her in early tomorrow after she warms up.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Best to leave her sleeping now. I know you were hoping she'd lay eggs before the vet visit, maybe if you get her in early tomorrow after she warms up.
Okay, thank you so so much!!! :) Her appointment isn't until 4pm so I'll get her in there tomorrow and see if anything happens. I'll update the thread after we see the vet too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, good. And you can make the nest box a little wider, more like you had it at first since she doesn't have a lot of area to dig. Make it a bigger again but pack it with more sand and just make one deep hole, then set her right in front of it.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Finished at the vet. Bad news. The x-ray looked very... messy. Vet told me that it looked like an infection in her uterus that could progress to cancer if left alone. Some of the eggs are shelled and dropped, and some are still where they were 5 weeks ago and just as small, not shelled. All underdeveloped and some stuck together in a big mass.

Pancake is going to stay overnight at the vet and they're going to spay her tomorrow and "clean up" the infection in there. Then she'll be on antibiotics for a few weeks and we'll have to take her back to get the sutures out.

It's not what I wanted to hear but I knew in my gut something was wrong.

The vet said it could have been caused by her being gravid in the past and the eggs not getting properly reabsorbed and there being yolk left in there, which makes sense because I'm pretty sure she's reabsorbed eggs before.

The reason I'm going into a lot of detail is mainly for other worried owners in the future looking through the forums for answers like I have.

Everyone who reads this please wish Pancake luck. I'm so worried about her. Vet has done this procedure a lot and says it usually goes pretty well but any kind thoughts or prayers are appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl, can you post the xrays by chance ? You got her to the vet in good time, she wasn't acting siickly so she should not be in danger. Most spays I've read about go well so that's what I'm definitely hoping for her and I'll be waiting to hear the outcome. Best wishes to you [ and Pancake of course ] I know you must be very worried, anyone would be in this situation.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Best wishes to you and Pancake alike. Hopefully it goes well and your next thread will be to show her off after a full recovery!!!

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Poor girl, can you post the xrays by chance ? You got her to the vet in good time, she wasn't acting siickly so she should not be in danger. Most spays I've read about go well so that's what I'm definitely hoping for her and I'll be waiting to hear the outcome. Best wishes to you [ and Pancake of course ] I know you must be very worried, anyone would be in this situation.
I was so freaked and crying I forgot to ask him to send me the x-ray. I just drew on the first x-ray to try to show what the change was from the last one. Sorry it's all I managed. Thanks for the well wishes. It means a lot
Screenshot_20230330_172151_ibisPaint X.jpg

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
20230331_185533.jpg

We're on our way home fron surgery. She's very out of it right now, poor baby. Her tongue is hanging out. I'm probably going to be awake all night checking to make sure she's still breathing.

Vet said her insides were very weird and she had misshapen ovaries that were in more than one piece. He showed me pics of the eggs he took out and... *shudders* pictures of her insides during the surgery while he was explaining what was going on with her.

Sounds like we got her taken care of just before disaster could strike. I always knew something about her just wasn't right.

Please wish her a speedy recovery. I probably won't relax until she starts to move around and eat. Poor baby has her tummy stapled up.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
For anyone's future reference or curiosity: the total cost including the injections they sent home was $913.54. The surgery cost alone, $600. (I got a student discount though so I paid $822)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor baby she is definitely zonked out. Were any of the eggs shelled ? She will need to rest well tonight, be sure not to bother her at all, just let her sleep. She should be more alert in the a.m although they can come out of sedation pretty slowly.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom