Comparison Needed

FatalTrip

Beardie name(s)
Julian
Have a big double dome ( Zoo Med Combo Deep Dome Dual Lamp Fixture for sale ) and a 3in1 UVB/UVA and Basking light ( Exo Terra® Solar Glo Sun Simulating Bulb | reptile Bulbs & Lamps | PetSmart ) and a Regular Basking Light.
I want to upgrade to possibly a T5 Grow light from biodude for bioactive substrate, T5 Zoo med UVB, but don't know what to do about basking and about energy costs. Should I just buy a the T5 Grow light for the substrate and leave the other stuff? Or do you all frown upon the 3in1 and think the T5 UVB/UVA is needed.
EDIT: I am asking this after reading a recommendation I was given by another mod in my last thread.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Have a big double dome ( Zoo Med Combo Deep Dome Dual Lamp Fixture for sale ) and a 3in1 UVB/UVA and Basking light ( Exo Terra® Solar Glo Sun Simulating Bulb | reptile Bulbs & Lamps | PetSmart ) and a Regular Basking Light.
I want to upgrade to possibly a T5 Grow light from biodude for bioactive substrate, T5 Zoo med UVB, but don't know what to do about basking and about energy costs. Should I just buy a the T5 Grow light for the substrate and leave the other stuff? Or do you all frown upon the 3in1 and think the T5 UVB/UVA is needed.
EDIT: I am asking this after reading a recommendation I was given by another mod in my last thread.
@CooperDragon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you're going to pick up a T5, you might want to get a dual T5 fixture with one side set as UVB and one side as a 6500k grow light. There are LED options available for grow lights as well, but this would help keep it simpler and in one fixture. Then you could use your dual dome for two lower wattage basking lights (whatever gets the surface up to proper temps). 36" HO T5 Double Bulb fixture with Arcadia 12% and 6.5k Day-light Bulbs Included

If you decided to go with a single T5 with a grow light bulb (or Arcadia LED setup), then you could keep the Solar Glo in the dual fixture, but you may have a harder time adjusting the temps since you won't be able to control UVB output and heat independently. The advantage of the T5 UVB tubes is that you can set those at appropriate distance, then raise/lower the heat bulb as needed to get your temps right. The solar glo is good for travel and for a portable basking spot for outside the tank though.

There isn't really a single right answer, but that might get you headed in a good direction to try some stuff out and see what works best for you.

FatalTrip

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Julian
If you're going to pick up a T5, you might want to get a dual T5 fixture with one side set as UVB and one side as a 6500k grow light. There are LED options available for grow lights as well, but this would help keep it simpler and in one fixture. Then you could use your dual dome for two lower wattage basking lights (whatever gets the surface up to proper temps). 36" HO T5 Double Bulb fixture with Arcadia 12% and 6.5k Day-light Bulbs Included

If you decided to go with a single T5 with a grow light bulb (or Arcadia LED setup), then you could keep the Solar Glo in the dual fixture, but you may have a harder time adjusting the temps since you won't be able to control UVB output and heat independently. The advantage of the T5 UVB tubes is that you can set those at appropriate distance, then raise/lower the heat bulb as needed to get your temps right. The solar glo is good for travel and for a portable basking spot for outside the tank though.

There isn't really a single right answer, but that might get you headed in a good direction to try some stuff out and see what works best for you.
Thank you for all the help. I know somewhere I read that all UVB bulb are garbage and only long uvb bulbs are good, does anyone know of any UVB bulbs that would fit in domes that are recommended? Sorry to go against recommendations, I have everything thing else ready for bioactive though, can someone review my cart?

Attachments

• Screenshot (52).jpg
    Screenshot (52).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 79

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for all the help. I know somewhere I read that all UVB bulb are garbage and only long uvb bulbs are good, does anyone know of any UVB bulbs that would fit in domes that are recommended? Sorry to go against recommendations, I have everything thing else ready for bioactive though, can someone review my cart?
For a bioactive tank or any tank the long tube fixture is the best - only one that people use that are iffy / ok is the Reptisun 26 watt but I would not recommend it for a tank over 40 gallon -
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
Again for good UVB recommendations are the long tube fixture - I can post links to some of the good UVB's that are reasonable - Amazon is high on these fixtures

FatalTrip

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Julian
For a bioactive tank or any tank the long tube fixture is the best - only one that people use that are iffy / ok is the Reptisun 26 watt but I would not recommend it for a tank over 40 gallon -
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
Again for good UVB recommendations are the long tube fixture - I can post links to some of the good UVB's that are reasonable - Amazon is high on these fixtures
I am just having trouble on the hanging of inside the tank, my beardies hammocks are almost all the way at the top and the uvb tube would have to face diagonally instead of above him. I looked at other forums posts that recommended the velcro but that doesnt seem super reliable, does anyone have experience with or have a video on youtube to show me how to hang it with the velcro, I apologize if I couldve just looked it up myself.
EDIT 1: would a LED grow light be ok on top to still provide for the microfauna? it is a fine metal mesh

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am just having trouble on the hanging of inside the tank, my beardies hammocks are almost all the way at the top and the uvb tube would have to face diagonally instead of above him. I looked at other forums posts that recommended the velcro but that doesnt seem super reliable, does anyone have experience with or have a video on youtube to show me how to hang it with the velcro, I apologize if I couldve just looked it up myself.
EDIT 1: would a LED grow light be ok on top to still provide for the microfauna? it is a fine metal mesh
@CooperDragon

KarmaMoon

Beardie name(s)
Nova

You DONT have to have it inside the tank.
People just suggest it because the screen can block out some of the UVB.

I Also go against Popular opinion. Mine is not inside my enclosure. All my lights & UVB sit on top.
I have a UVB monitor and according to the Monitor, My UVB On top of my mesh Provides the correct Fergison Zone for my dragon at the basking area.

I even am going against popular opinion and have my UVB all the way across my enclosure.
My reasoning: Beardie lives in a dessert; Sun is everywhere but when they hide. I Have plenty of hide & Shaded places in my enclosure. I have a Hot and cool side. And since my baby can't get up and person with the UVB on the cool side, the amount she can get on the opposite side is so little it makes no Difference. OH and well i can always place Glass if i wanted under 1/3 of the UVB on the cool side to block the UVB rays.
I Just didn't like having part of my enclosure dark. Or having yet another dome on top with a LED (To not make heat) to light up the cool side of my enclosure.

Attachments

• nova.jpg
    nova.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 89

FatalTrip

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Julian
Thank you, I will probably get a tube for UVB and tube for Growing when I am ready and measure them too. Thank you all for the help. One last question is does anyone know where to get a solarmeter for less than 100$, my whole cart for this bioactive setup costs less than the one meter I can find.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you, I will probably get a tube for UVB and tube for Growing when I am ready and measure them too. Thank you all for the help. One last question is does anyone know where to get a solarmeter for less than 100$, my whole cart for this bioactive setup costs less than the one meter I can find.
I think good ones are over $200 - lets ask CooperDragon
@CooperDragon

KarmaMoon

Beardie name(s)
Nova
Thank you, I will probably get a tube for UVB and tube for Growing when I am ready and measure them too. Thank you all for the help. One last question is does anyone know where to get a solarmeter for less than 100$, my whole cart for this bioactive setup costs less than the one meter I can fin
If you find one let us all know. I only know of the 200$ ones you see on Amazon. You can find that downed to 180 maybe once a year.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the Solarmeter is really the way to go and they are typically around $200. Useful if you are doing testing of lights or want to compare between lights. Otherwise they are a nice luxury rather than a necessity since we have plenty of data from the most common lights to give a fairly accurate estimate of output at several distances. Following the test data should be sufficient in most cases.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom