Come on down to Devlyn Town everyone, let's go!

Welcome to Devlyn Town everyone! We're a welcoming place.

Devlyn joined our household on February 9th, 2019 at 6 months old. I don't know her birthday, and she wouldn't tell me, so my best guess is August 1st, 2018.
103228-4767807354.jpg
Devlyn was bought from a pet shop that went out of business. Came from an unnamed wholesale vender. The original owner did a lot to take care of Devlyn. A baby dragon who had parasites and a respiratory infection from the pet store. There were some hiccups with coil UVB bulbs but that was corrected after a vet visit in October 2018 to UVB fluorescent tubing and proper heat control and a bigger enclosure. The original owner sold Devlyn to me because Devlyn is a very picky eater (aka non-eater)(and as of 2/09/2020 Devlyn still can be a picky eater, she needs a lot of care to eat well) and the lady's life was very busy with other pets, kids, and a failed marriage. Devlyn went from whatever shadey pet place she was born, to a cheap pet store, to a loving first owner who only gave her up so Devlyn could get more attention and care and the cost of her ongoing care. My husband and I have given her a good home now! This is Devlyn town, she is the mayor, we do her bidding.
103228-3580797855.jpg
See pic above for her enclosure she has had since late 2018. About 45" by 17" by 19.2". New bulbs added after the move FYI. Devlyn likes color so I am currently going insane by creating more furniture, buying decorations and making decorative elements for her. Stay tuned for more episodes of Devlyn town!
ENCLOSURE UPDATE 2/09/2020
103228-3978015883.jpg

Update 1/10/2021
Awoken from brumation#2. 119 days.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
As prices went up and up this year Devlyn's pet insurance has been more valuable than ever. Using Nationwide pet insurance. No regrets for the insurance.

Now some fun Develyn pics. We got her a new carry bag. We visited Snake Discovery and she walked in Rex's footprints. Her house still has an unfinished floor but overall looking good.

Attachments

• GridArt_20220807_142109503~2.jpg
    GridArt_20220807_142109503~2.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20220807_183711722.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20220807_183711722.NIGHT.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20220806_230039250.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220806_230039250.MP.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20220806_224833059.jpg
    PXL_20220806_224833059.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 96
  • PXL_20220803_232210311.jpg
    PXL_20220803_232210311.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 83

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
That is some big shoes errr paw prints to fill. Snake Discovery is on my bucket list.
They opened their store very close to me. Between Snake Discovery and Twin Cities Reptiles there are two great stores for herps in my area. Twin Cities.

On Sunday I decided to adopt on their rescue beardies. His condition isn't that good, but he gets by and he could have potential to improve. Hard to tell since he seems slightly underfed still. May be lacking in vitamins but no signs of MBD fortunately. He has partial paralysis of the hind limbs.

I posted a welcome thread for Quetzalcoatl. He is close to in age to Devlyn. I will esitmate 3/01/2018 just to give him a date.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I love when good people adopt special needs beardies (or beardies that have just been neglected for that matter). These little guys are the absolute best and deserve to have great lives. I think anyone that does so is a hero!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I found that thread. Again you rock !!!!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Thanks! Quetzal has made progress getting stuck shed off. Baths with Zilla Shed Ease added. Painting the tough stuck parts with 100% food grade aloe vera gel nightly. He i tolerating this pretty well. He hates the robo vacuum in the home, poor guy puffed up big and black bearded a might beard at the vacuum. Quetzal is eating, pooped, and drank water!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It's hysterical the things they will single out to not like. My first beardie never met a ceiling fan she liked, and now i have one that hates the a/c vents lol.
It sounds like Qeutzal is going to do good, i love happy endings :)

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
It's hysterical the things they will single out to not like. My first beardie never met a ceiling fan she liked, and now i have one that hates the a/c vents lol.
It sounds like Qeutzal is going to do good, i love happy endings :)
It's no ending yet. We're still figuring things out. He's such a sweet beardie. Really good with handling. Quetzal has been showing more happy colors, less black beard unless he sees something to head bob at. In water he can move around much better than out of water. Preliminary thinking he may benefit from red light therapy with his bath therapy. He can move his limbs. He shows that he has sensation. He tries to use his weak feet properly. He maybe not got a chance to recover. If he can improve a bit he might be able to stand and walk a little. I'm cautiously optimistic. While also making him a beardie wheelchair so he can move distance easier.

Look out! I have plastic, a heat gun, and glue. I'm very dangerous, lol

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
In bummer news turns out Devlyn is a bit sick

She has had loose or runny stools the past few weeks. I kept an eye on her. Got a fecal sample on July 29th, but the sample was negative for parasites

Devlyn kept having loose stools so I took her back in. Signs of inflammation and chronic infection in her blood work. We started a second stool sample today. I also am having a culture done to check for a bacterial infection in addition to a parasite check.

HCT (hematocrit) was 42, high. Normal is 23-39%. Not drastically high, but she doesn't drink water hardly ever so loose stools might be making her dehydrated.

Absolute heterophils and absolute azurophilic monocytes were very high, off the charts. Which is similar to when she had past parasite infections.

I am confused at her thrombocyte estimate as Increased. Her value was always Adequate so I don't know what Increased means. The description reads the same so I'll have to ask the vet.

What is good, I think, are her Ca:p ratios.

11.1 : 4.3 = 2 : 0.77477477477477 or (2:0.77)
11.1 : 4.3 = 1.5 : 0.58108108108108 or (1.5:0.58)

She consistently in all her blood work has the calcium slightly "too high" to the ideal value of 2:1 for growing or 1.5:1 for adult maintenance.

So, I'm not concerned her phosphorus is "low". This is in line with her normal. She has also had too high calcium in the past. 11.1 mg/dL is nicely in the middle.

ITEMDevlyn's valueNormal valueUnit
WBC estimate 13.72.8-14.61000/uL
HCT4223-39%
RBC morphology NormalNormalna
Blood parasitesNone seenNone seenna
Heterophils61na%
Absolute heterophils 83571146-6238/µL
Toxic changesNone seenNone seenna
Bands0na%
Absolute bands0na/µL
Lymphocytes 15na%
Absolute lymphocytes 2055363-8172/µL
Monocytes1na%
Absolute monocytes13710-1078/µL
Eosinophils 0na%
Absolute eosinophils 03-364/µL
Basophils 5na%
Absolute basophils68513-820/µL
Azurophilic monocytes 18na%
Absolute azurophilic monocytes 24665-1540/µL
Thrombocyte estimate Increased?Platelet count reflects the minimum number due to platelet clumping
Total protein4.73.3-7.3g/dL
Albumin2.71.5-3.7g/dL
Globulin 21.3-3.9g/dL
SGOT(AST)343-75IU/L
BUN21-4mg/dL
Phosphorus 4.32.3-9.4mg/dL
Glucose167129-293mg/dL
Calcium11.16.8-22.7mg/dL
Sodium154143-173mEq/L
Potassium 4.52.6-6.1mEq/L
Chloride115103-145mEq/L
CPK79517-3421IU/L
Uric acid3.81.2-8.4mg/dL

Sample conditions: Hemolysis 2+ No significant interference

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Hopefully its nothing to bad, I'm rooting for her.
If she won't drink you can use an eye dropper to drip water on her nose. If that don't work you can add a little none citrus fruit punch to give it flavor. You can also gently pull down the bottom lip and drop a little outside her gums to get her started lapping it.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Getting some water between the lips is the only reliable way to have her drink water. I think it is only 3 times she had ever drank water that I have seen. Basically once per year. I give her roaches an orange to eat before I give them to her for hydration. She also gets hornworms sometimes.

I suspect she is sick from mealworms. A few months ago she got a few mealworms as a test. Well, unless I breed them (and I don't want too honestly) she will never get them again. I tried a different local pet store, not a box store chain, so they fail the test. Devlyn's vet she is basically immunocompromised because she can be infected easily. She cannot tolerate what are considered commensal organisms like Entamoeba cysts. Devlyn needs to be 100% free of internal creepy crawlies

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn

I should have written her Ca : P ratio as

11.1 : 4.3 = 2.58 : 1
(that looks better)

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
My honey brought Devlyn to the vet while I worked. Too bad I couldn't go with.

So Devlyn is acting a lot better and we're making sure she is recovered from her infection. She looked not pleased at her vet visit from the pics...

PXL_20220913_142307635.jpg

She is DONE with it!

Wanted to document her vet bills for this illness are $815.15 this far now. I met her insurance deductible earlier this year so I've paid $81.51 out of pocket receiving $733.64 reimbursement. She has a better insurance plan than what is available now, but I still recommend insurance. I want Devlyn to grow old and be a grouchy beardie lady with me 💜

She ate a single bite of butternut squash today! She only started eating that a few weeks ago and only if I had feed it to her. I had asked the vet (sent question on paper) about adding supplements to her food and he recommended feeding anything I want for her to the dubia roaches :rolleyes: like she doesn't get many insects per week so I didn't find the answer helpful

Mostly she doesn't eat her multivitamin powder as much as she should. Tried different brands and none of them have been great - I tried them - they taste weird! I don't blame her

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom