Come on down to Devlyn Town everyone, let's go!

Welcome to Devlyn Town everyone! We're a welcoming place.

Devlyn joined our household on February 9th, 2019 at 6 months old. I don't know her birthday, and she wouldn't tell me, so my best guess is August 1st, 2018.
103228-4767807354.jpg
Devlyn was bought from a pet shop that went out of business. Came from an unnamed wholesale vender. The original owner did a lot to take care of Devlyn. A baby dragon who had parasites and a respiratory infection from the pet store. There were some hiccups with coil UVB bulbs but that was corrected after a vet visit in October 2018 to UVB fluorescent tubing and proper heat control and a bigger enclosure. The original owner sold Devlyn to me because Devlyn is a very picky eater (aka non-eater)(and as of 2/09/2020 Devlyn still can be a picky eater, she needs a lot of care to eat well) and the lady's life was very busy with other pets, kids, and a failed marriage. Devlyn went from whatever shadey pet place she was born, to a cheap pet store, to a loving first owner who only gave her up so Devlyn could get more attention and care and the cost of her ongoing care. My husband and I have given her a good home now! This is Devlyn town, she is the mayor, we do her bidding.
103228-3580797855.jpg
See pic above for her enclosure she has had since late 2018. About 45" by 17" by 19.2". New bulbs added after the move FYI. Devlyn likes color so I am currently going insane by creating more furniture, buying decorations and making decorative elements for her. Stay tuned for more episodes of Devlyn town!
ENCLOSURE UPDATE 2/09/2020
103228-3978015883.jpg

Update 1/10/2021
Awoken from brumation#2. 119 days.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Attaching files in the new format still weird. Got to practice. This is a low basking point where she is 30" from the 14% Arcadia UVB. Testing out the placement of things. Of course there will be a "floor" added which will elevate everything. It's about 50" wide by 27" deep and 44" height from bottom of floor to ceiling. The measurements may be off because I am losing my mind making this thing

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
PXL_20220215_014232729.jpg
PXL_20220215_014232729~2.jpg

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Got Devlyn's bloodwork! I was going crazy waiting since Monday. I got to witness Devlyn's venipuncture which was neat to see. She handles things pretty well at the vet. She always gets hornworms or superworms afterwards. Hornworms it was. No blackbeard. She chills on her corkbark and heating pad.

Devlyn seems to have a slightly elevated Ca:p ratio still. Its been high before. I asked if that could be related to hydration since Devlyn really doesn't drink water much ever. She does, but practically I can't rely on her to drink.

This is what the vet had to say:
Attached to this email is Devlyn's recent lab results. Overall her values are within normal limits. After doing the math, her calcium to phosphorous ratio is slightly high at 4.4, normal should be around 2 or 3. Her July 2021 Ca:p ratio was 2.4 and her Jan 2021 ratio was 3.6.

The other value to assess is the solubility index, which evaluates for kidney function or possible kidney damage. First, you need to convert the values of Ca and P from mg/dL to mmol/L then multiply the two values together. Her solubility index from her most recent bloodwork is 6.8, values below 9 are within normal limits. Her July 2021 solubility index was 4.6.

I am wondering if the higher calcium to phosphorus ratio is due to her recently coming out of brumation and not fully back to her normal activity level and appetite yet? But like I said, I am not overly concerned about these values at this time.
As for activity Devlyn has been very active. The only way she could be more active is if it was warm enough to go outside. She bounces around her enclosure for a solid 4-6 hours a day trying to escape, lol. She gets run around the floor time every other day for at least an hour. Last year her calcium was high coming out of brumation so this may be her woman cycle or something. Never laid eggs. I don't want to see eggs Devlyn!

tech said smear wasn’t very good but usable, I ask these things and want the blunt answers.

WBC Estimate from smear 8 2.8-14.6 1000 / μL
HCT Microhematocrit Method 36 23-39 %
RBC Morphology Normal
Blood Parasite None Seen
Heterophils 72 %
Absolute Heterophils 5760 1146-6238 / μL
Toxic Changes None Seen
Bands 0 %
Absolute Bands 0 / μL
Lymphocytes 22 %
Absolute Lymphocytes 1760 363-8171 / μL
Monocytes 4 %
Absolute Monocytes 320 10-1078 / μL
Eosinophiles 2 %
Absolute Eosinophils 160 3-364 / μL
Basophils 0 %
Absolute Basophils 0 LOW 13-820 / μL
Azurophilic Monocytes 0 %
Absolute Azurophilic Monocytes 0 LOW 5-1540
Thromocyte Estimate Adequete

Total Protein 3.5 3.3-7.3 g / dL
Albumin 2.1 1.5-3.7 g / dL
Globulin 1.4 1.3-3.9 g / dL
SGOT (AST) 19 3-75 IU / L
BUN results verified 2 1-4 mg / dL
Phosphorus 4.4 2.3-9.4 mg / dL
Glucose 236 129-293 mg / dL
Calcium results verified 19.4 6.8-22.7 mg / dL
Sodium 146 143-173 mEq / L
Potassium 4.6 2.6-6.1 mEq / L
Chloride 106 103-145 mEq / L
CPK 71 17-3421 IU / L
Uric Acid 3 1.2-8.4 mg / dL

Sample Conditions: Hemolysis 1+, Lipemia 1+, No significant interference

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good to hear the vet didn't have any major concerns about the blood test level. Sometimes those will fluctuate depending on when the sample is taken and stress level at the vet etc etc. If they aren't way off then probably best to just compare samples over time. Darwin gets super hyperactive after he comes out of brumation too. Darts all over the house and surfs the walls like a madman for a while.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
It's good to hear the vet didn't have any major concerns about the blood test level. Sometimes those will fluctuate depending on when the sample is taken and stress level at the vet etc etc. If they aren't way off then probably best to just compare samples over time. Darwin gets super hyperactive after he comes out of brumation too. Darts all over the house and surfs the walls like a madman for a while.
I have all the past test results. It is so interesting. Gives me reason to brush up on my labs knowledge which was always so boring to read about.

I bet Darwin has a blast trying to break his house post brumation :) ha ha

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
It has been just about 60 days since Devlyn woke up from brumation. I am keeping more of a food journal for her this year. One thing is I wanted to see how much variety she is eating. As sometimes she won't eat what is offered. So here is a little list attempt at her foods for the past 60 days. Not sure how this holds up to others with variety.

Dubia Roaches
Hornworms
Pinky Mouse (1)
Superworms
Banana
Arugula
Arugula Microgreens
Arugula Sprouts
Baby Red Oak Leaf Lettuce
Bell Pepper (red, orange, yellow)
Carrot
Cilantro (young leaves)
Collard Greens
Frisee Lettuce
Mizuna Lettuce
Radicchio
Red Dandelion (refused all)
Wheat Grass

Arcadia Calcium Powder (no D3)
Arcadia Flower Boost
Bee Pollen
Bene-bac Probiotic Powder
Dubia Dust
Exo Terra Multivitamin Powder

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Poor Devlyn cut her foot in the house today. Seems she found a loose staple in the carpet. I washed her in the sink with soap rinsing off the foot. Then I applied betadine allowing that to dry. I have silver Sulfanilamide cream I could put on. Maybe I could that when she goes to sleep since she won't be walking with the fresh cream on her foot once she is asleep and it can sit on there

I think she will be fine, but I feel bad for her. It must hurt but she is acting like it is nothing. Which is good overall that she isn't tryna hide or act scared or hurt. My poor girl

I can call her vet office Monday if needed. I'm not too worried. Still feel bad

Attachments

• PXL_20220402_195659751.jpg
    PXL_20220402_195659751.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 104
  • PXL_20220402_195922494.jpg
    PXL_20220402_195922494.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 98
  • PXL_20220402_223312458.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220402_223312458.MP.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 93

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
This drama queen holding out her hurt foot 😭 just to make me feel bad

I kid, I kid. It must hurt but she is mostly faking she is okay. It's only when I come around the corner and catch her holding her foot out. She's back in her smaller enclosure so she doesn't have to move around as much.

Attachments

• PXL_20220403_141940576.jpg
    PXL_20220403_141940576.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 94

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
InShot_20220405_194623935.jpg

From April 2nd to today April 5th. That's not too bad for 3 days. The damaged scale fell off in the middle. We're keeping it clean and dry with betadine during the day and silver silver Sulfadiazine cream at night.

Last edited:

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
silver Sulfadiazine. Stupid autocorrect put in a more common medicine in some of my posts and I can't edit them. I only have silver Sulfadiazine in my house autocorrect!

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
Hooray!!! And isn't it funny how happy poop can make us?
Haha, happy poop party! She's lovely, enjoyed your story, as far as turning down the greens, I found that when their little if you use a stick or tool to make the greens "move" they're more excited about it. They always prefer something "alive" and moving.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn

Devlyn is trying a vertical sleep for the first time! I'm so happy for her. She really enjoys her tall tree in her house. When I got this piece of cork bark it didn't seem as good as other pieces. Not many moss or fungus growths. The completely flat edge didn't have a visual appeal compared to pieces with irregular shape at both ends. But I just had the idea float into my head that this could work as a vertical piece. The cashier mentioned I could put the flat edge against a corner, implying a horizontal position. This was the ugly ducking cork bark.

I'm fortunate that living next to the capitol I have specialty shops I can go to in person. I think I got this piece at Snake Discovery but I also get cork bark from Twin Cities Reptiles. I don't remember which one it came from. TCR usually has better cork bark but it doesn't matter.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom