Coloring or something else? Pls Help! New owner to older beardie.

Newreptilemom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. lizard
Hello, this is Mr. Lizard, I've had him for 2 months. Vet said he's about 8yrs old when I took him for abscess removal on his tail he had when I got him. Under different lighting I noticed these yellow spots by his vent and tail. He's yellow a lot of places but the spots concern me. The vet didn't notice anything and told me he's pretty healthy. Are these colors and spots normal? Sry for the length, new to the site, very worried.

Attachments

• IMG_20230309_183221.jpg
    IMG_20230309_183221.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20230309-191444.jpg
    Screenshot_20230309-191444.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20230309_183417.jpg
    IMG_20230309_183417.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20230309_183258.jpg
    IMG_20230309_183258.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20230309_183310.jpg
    IMG_20230309_183310.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 52

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, this is Mr. Lizard, I've had him for 2 months. Vet said he's about 8yrs old when I took him for abscess removal on his tail he had when I got him. Under different lighting I noticed these yellow spots by his vent and tail. He's yellow a lot of places but the spots concern me. The vet didn't notice anything and told me he's pretty healthy. Are these colors and spots normal? Sry for the length, new to the site, very worried.
Looks like shed and coloring -- the UVB is going to make his colors pop w/ correct lighting -- what are you using for a UVB?

Newreptilemom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. lizard
Looks like shed and coloring -- the UVB is going to make his colors pop w/ correct lighting -- what are you using for a UVB?
Ty so much. He's under a 160 watt mercury vapor bulb 18 inches above his basking spot. It hits around 105° to 111°. 90°-100 ambient. 85 cool side. He looks very different then when I received him. I'm new to all this.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ty so much. He's under a 160 watt mercury vapor bulb 18 inches above his basking spot. It hits around 105° to 111°. 90°-100 ambient. 85 cool side. He looks very different then when I received him. I'm new to all this.
Ok so w/ it being that high please get another uvb- he's not getting enough uvb are you getting surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? He needs surface basking temps of 95-100----They are the most accurate - you need a long tube fixture-- I can post links for you- we recommend 3 on this forum

Newreptilemom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. lizard
Ok so w/ it being that high please get another uvb- he's not getting enough uvb are you getting surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? He needs surface basking temps of 95-100----They are the most accurate - you need a long tube fixture-- I can post links for you- we recommend 3 on this forum
Oh dear, I have extra mvp bulbs, 75watt and 100 watt bulbs. I'm using a temp gun. The vet recommended mvp bulbs. He gave me a packet with info. so I bought 3 and a stand and moved the screen so there's no mesh under the light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh dear, I have extra mvp bulbs, 75watt and 100 watt bulbs. I'm using a temp gun. The vet recommended mvp bulbs. He gave me a packet with info. so I bought 3 and a stand and moved the screen so there's no mesh under the light.
Ok so the 18" is too high for uvb rays- that's the issue w/ the mvb's good for heat not so much uvb- we always recommend another uvb when mvb's are being used- what is the brand of the mvb? It's good it's unobstructed that's going to help w/ the rays-

Newreptilemom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. lizard
Ok so the 18" is too high for uvb rays- that's the issue w/ the mvb's good for heat not so much uvb- we always recommend another uvb when mvb's are being used- what is the brand of the mvb? It's good it's unobstructed that's going to help w/ the rays-
Lucky herp 2, I think. I have 3 different wattage bulbs. I just measured from his head to the bulb to 12 inches. I had to move it down 2 inches from 14. I was measuring the rock to the bulb in my other estimate. 😅 I'll switch to a lower wattage if it goes past 110. I'll definitely get a tube light when I move him to the 6by 2 by 2 tank when my dad finishes it. I want him to be a healthy old man for as long as possible. I worry so. Even about orange spots. Ty so much for your help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Lucky herp 2, I think. I have 3 different wattage bulbs. I just measured from his head to the bulb to 12 inches. I had to move it down 2 inches from 14. I was measuring the rock to the bulb in my other estimate. 😅 I'll switch to a lower wattage if it goes past 110. I'll definitely get a tube light when I move him to the 6by 2 by 2 tank when my dad finishes it. I want him to be a healthy old man for as long as possible. I worry so. Even about orange spots. Ty so much for your help
Ok the lucky herp bulb is not a good brand - when are you moving him and what size tank is he in now - I want to set you up w/ the correct uvb fixture-

Newreptilemom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. lizard
He came to me in a 90 gallon tank. Looks like an aquarium. I've had him for 2months now in the same tank. My dad's modifying a 6 foot old fish tank to 6 by 2 by 2. It'll be a few weeks. The bulb rn is on a stand hanging above his basking rock
Ok the lucky herp bulb is not a good brand - when are you moving him and what size tank is he in now - I want to set you up w/ the correct uvb fixture-

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He came to me in a 90 gallon tank. Looks like an aquarium. I've had him for 2months now in the same tank. My dad's modifying a 6 foot old fish tank to 6 by 2 by 2. It'll be a few weeks. The bulb rn is on a stand hanging above his basking rock
Ok so you can get a 36" zoo med or Arcadia pro T 5 or a sunblaster nano tech uvb- the nano tech needs to have the bulb changed out to a reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb--
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html - I would go to a regular basking bulb - clear solid bright white basking bulb - flukers basking or exo Terra intense or a Arcadia halogen-- is your dad putting front doors in the tank?

Newreptilemom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. lizard
Ok so you can get a 36" zoo med or Arcadia pro T 5 or a sunblaster nano tech uvb- the nano tech needs to have the bulb changed out to a reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb--
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html - I would go to a regular basking bulb - clear solid bright white basking bulb - flukers basking or exo Terra intense or a Arcadia halogen-- is your dad putting front doors in the tank?
Ty so much. Yes we're planning front sliding glass doors.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom