Coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! My Stew has coccidia and he was prescribed Albon 1p days. I heard how bad it is on his body from this site and I bought some probiotics from Tracie to see if I can counteract that. The smell of his stools seem to be getting better and his urate is back to white but he’s having a lot of water around his stools. I’m supposed to give him his antibiotic for 14-21 days. I plan on at least doing the 14 to make sure he gets the full treatment. I’m wondering if that’s ok to finish and I’m also wondering the best time to give the benebac to make sure it helps him the most. Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I just saw your post here!
How is your boy doing? Yes, the Albon is hard on their system. That's great he seems to
be doing pretty well then.
I was thinking a 14 day treatment was probably good. As far as the probiotic, you can give
during the treatment & for a week or two after his last medication dose to help out his tummy.
Just be sure to give the medication apart from the probiotics. I usually recommend giving the
probiotics later on in the day when they have been warm & after they have eaten anything. It
should assimilate well that way.

I hope Stew is doing a lot better!
Tracie

Chrissy816

Original Poster
Thank you I’ve been doing it that way so that’s good! He’s eating fine but a little angry towards me so I’m sure he’s not feeling 100%. Thanks so much for the probiotics!

Chrissy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Excellent, it sounds like he is doing very well now, that's great! You have done a terrific
job with him, getting him back to health.
I know, they can get feisty when you try to get medication & or fluids into them. I am happy
to hear the probiotics have helped him out.

Tracie

Chrissy816

Original Poster
Hello,

I just saw your post here!
How is your boy doing? Yes, the Albon is hard on their system. That's great he seems to
be doing pretty well then.
I was thinking a 14 day treatment was probably good. As far as the probiotic, you can give
during the treatment & for a week or two after his last medication dose to help out his tummy.
Just be sure to give the medication apart from the probiotics. I usually recommend giving the
probiotics later on in the day when they have been warm & after they have eaten anything. It
should assimilate well that way.

I hope Stew is doing a lot better!
Tracie
Hi Tracie! Stew got a clear fecal test so that’s good! But his urate is looking different still. I’m wondering if you could take a look and see what you think. I’m giving him calcium w d3 a couple days a week and then alternating between the vitamin and regular calcium the other days. I wondered if it was too much calcium so I stopped feeding the crickets calcium chow too but it hasn’t changed. Any ideas?

Chrissy

Chrissy816

Original Poster
Here’s the stool picture from today

Attachments

• B9DCB457-CADB-492D-962B-FD3F9C35E8DD.jpeg
    B9DCB457-CADB-492D-962B-FD3F9C35E8DD.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 171

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

His urates look a bit harder. It definitely could be too much calcium or D3. Give some extra oral
fluids for him & keep his calcium to a 2-3 times per week right now.
How is he doing, does he still have a good appetite?

Tracie

Chrissy816

Original Poster
Hello,

His urates look a bit harder. It definitely could be too much calcium or D3. Give some extra oral
fluids for him & keep his calcium to a 2-3 times per week right now.
How is he doing, does he still have a good appetite?

Tracie
Yes she’s been sleeping a lot, but when she’s awake I can get her to eat a good amount. I was also thinking about her size, she has only shed once since we’ve had her in June. She shed right away and hasn’t since. She’s supposed to be around 9-10 months old so I would think she would’ve shed again. I’m getting a new scale because I don’t think her readings are accurate. Thanks for your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear you are able to get her to eat some right now!
At her age, if she is of healthy weight & she doesn't seem to be having any health issues, then
it is ok to let her sleep a little more or brumate.
Chances are, she probably wouldn't brumate for a long period of time, either.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom