Coccidia count? Are meds needed? (pics included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
I just did a fecal on my Stewart and I'm 99% sure he has Coccidia. I tried to take a few pictures through the microscope, and they're not very good, but I'm hoping they're good enough for someone to see if this count is too high and needs to be treated. If so, what medicine should be used and what dosage. Stewart is pretty small (24 grams and his hatch date is 11/04/12). Also, if he has Coccidia, is it likely my 11 month old Norbert has it also? I've tried my best to be very careful about cross contamination but I'm not sure if I've been careful enough. Both dragons are eating and acting normally.

A little more info...
I've had Stewart for over a month so I dont think its (if its high counts) due to stress. He has been gaining weight and eating normally (both dubia and greens).

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah, thats were my kit for doing DIY fecals is from. I dont want to buy medicine until I'm positive what to buy and if I really need to though. I'm pretty sure I need Ponazuril just from searching around on here though.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I might go ahead and just buy some meds, but the dosing chart they have on the site starts at dragons that are 50 grams. Stewarts only 24 grams, so I'm still not sure if it's safe to treat him.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
When daisy had coccidia they gave me 5% toltrazuril. It starts out at 50g weight. Her infection was gone soon after I started the meds

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She emailed back and said "If you calculate the dosage for 24 grams it comes to .0096 or rounded it comes to .01 , the same dose as a 25 g dragon.
Toltrazuril is very mild and safe, so I wouldn’t hesitate to treat him." so I'm feeling much better about this. I also sent her a picture to confirm what I saw. Hopefully this wont turn into another Coccidia horror story. :?

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I think that you will be fine :) I didnt know anything about the meds and was so confused about them but she gives you really clear instructions. It is very helpful. Dasiys cleared and she hasnt had anything since. I believe she got sick in October.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That makes me feel a lot better. I'm just so nervous because Stewart is so small, but I'm confident that I can take care of this right. :)

I am going thru all the same stuff as you right now , I just made an order tonight .... There is a number on the website with a number you can call and text that was how I got ahold of her tonight :) Hope that helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom