Coccidia and pinworms in dubia roach colony?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, so I just found out my beardie has coccidia and pinworms. We’re going to begin treatment here soon. I believe it was from the crickets from petco a month ago. Anyways I have a dubia colony I’ve spent a lot of money on and worked very hard on and I found out when my bf was watching my beardie he threw some of the dubias that were left uneaten in my beardies tank back into the colony. After finding this out with having my beardies diagnosis I’m super troubled the dubias might have picked up some of the parasites and taken them back into the colony. I keep his tank very clean but have not disinfected it as I just found out the diagnosis. I usually use soap and water to clean the poop up which works fine, he has been having diarrhea due to his parasites. Im very good though about cleaning it up so I don’t believe the dubias would have ran directly thru any poop but I know how tricky these parasites can be without proper disinfection. What do you guys believe the odds would be of some of the dubia roaches picking these up and infecting the rest? Should I get rid of the whole colony or what would you guys suggest? I’m super bummed. Thank you in advance!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I probably wouldn't get rid of the colony, especially if you don't suspect that the roaches came in contact with poop from your dragon which would be the likely infection vector. I think the likelihood that parasites would spread through the colony would be minimal.

Be sure to sanitize your dragons enclosure (anything that comes in contact with poop) using steam or an ammonia solution in order to kill the coccidia.

Do not use chemicals to clean your beardies cage unless specifically for that. For $40 I bought a portable steam machine it's really small and cute and it worked great. Now I have the Bio Dude set up so I don't have to clean it anymore the clean up crew do that for me. Beardies luck everything they can get sick plus fumes linger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom