Clyde has Preovulatory Follicular Stasis

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Hi all!

Thank you for the kind words. Clyde is doing much better! He had to go on slurry pre-op because he stopped eating for weeks which was a big red flag since gravid beardies usually eat a lot and only stop eating right before laying (and he was no where near laying). He was only eating slurry and the occasional hornworm. On top of that he had lethargy, and so we went through with it. He was already on the deworming meds so I couldn’t do much about that except to finish it so he could be worm-free. His surgery went very well! I read somewhere that the success rates for spaying are higher when the follicles (undeveloped eggs) are smaller and haven’t developed into eggs. I also had them check his blood levels pre-op since hookworms feed off blood, this was in case he lost blood during surgery, so they could know how dire the loss of blood was. He had no excessive bleeding during the surgery though, but just adding that as an option for people going through this. He started eating again a few DAYS after the surgery (crazy!).

I couldn’t have done any of this without my mom who has been caring for him when he needed it the most. I was gone for his surgery and the 2 weeks of recovery afterwards. She gave him pain meds and fed him every day, took him to all of his appointments and everything. I got back yesterday and he is more lively and eating again! He took a MASSIVE **** yesterday (must of been constipated from meds or something) and his urinate is finally white again (meaning hopefully no more hookworm either!). He weighs a bit less now but I have no idea how much his ovaries weighed, can anyone help me with this? He lost 60-70 grams, but his fat pads don’t feel too much different, plus he has just pooped.

The vet told me that post-op can be more challenging though. I was expecting his appetite to be off for 1-2 months post-op from what they told me. I would say if anyone else’s beardie has this diagnosis:

1. trust your vet! and the surgeon! (an experienced surgeon!!!)
2. ask them to check for reabsorption pre-op
3. make sure they aren’t going to actually develop and lay naturally BUT don’t wait to long because they could burst or cause infection
4. slurry to keep your baby strong if they’re not eating
5. extra hydration

I’m now just caring for Clyde like normal. I put a towel over his favorite branch so it won’t pull on his stitches. I’ll add some photos below of the stitches (scheduled to come out on June 23rd, surgery was May 12th) and just him being cute.

If anyone needs a recommendation for a good vet in the Denver area I will drop my vet’s info! They are great!!!

Attachments

• C92516FF-4D67-47B6-9F8B-2DF3B5315BEE.jpeg
    C92516FF-4D67-47B6-9F8B-2DF3B5315BEE.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 33C27838-B13B-41F5-A395-1EF1A0BAD566.jpeg
    33C27838-B13B-41F5-A395-1EF1A0BAD566.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 9EC7E4CF-A974-466A-97F7-1F4100A7AF7E.jpeg
    9EC7E4CF-A974-466A-97F7-1F4100A7AF7E.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 90
  • B2A8143F-F01C-4DA6-A3B1-8645A93CB841.jpeg
    B2A8143F-F01C-4DA6-A3B1-8645A93CB841.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 81

Jessss

Hi all!

Thank you for the kind words. Clyde is doing much better! He had to go on slurry pre-op because he stopped eating for weeks which was a big red flag since gravid beardies usually eat a lot and only stop eating right before laying (and he was no where near laying). He was only eating slurry and the occasional hornworm. On top of that he had lethargy, and so we went through with it. He was already on the deworming meds so I couldn’t do much about that except to finish it so he could be worm-free. His surgery went very well! I read somewhere that the success rates for spaying are higher when the follicles (undeveloped eggs) are smaller and haven’t developed into eggs. I also had them check his blood levels pre-op since hookworms feed off blood, this was in case he lost blood during surgery, so they could know how dire the loss of blood was. He had no excessive bleeding during the surgery though, but just adding that as an option for people going through this. He started eating again a few DAYS after the surgery (crazy!).

I couldn’t have done any of this without my mom who has been caring for him when he needed it the most. I was gone for his surgery and the 2 weeks of recovery afterwards. She gave him pain meds and fed him every day, took him to all of his appointments and everything. I got back yesterday and he is more lively and eating again! He took a MASSIVE **** yesterday (must of been constipated from meds or something) and his urinate is finally white again (meaning hopefully no more hookworm either!). He weighs a bit less now but I have no idea how much his ovaries weighed, can anyone help me with this? He lost 60-70 grams, but his fat pads don’t feel too much different, plus he has just pooped.

The vet told me that post-op can be more challenging though. I was expecting his appetite to be off for 1-2 months post-op from what they told me. I would say if anyone else’s beardie has this diagnosis:

1. trust your vet! and the surgeon! (an experienced surgeon!!!)
2. ask them to check for reabsorption pre-op
3. make sure they aren’t going to actually develop and lay naturally BUT don’t wait to long because they could burst or cause infection
4. slurry to keep your baby strong if they’re not eating
5. extra hydration

I’m now just caring for Clyde like normal. I put a towel over his favorite branch so it won’t pull on his stitches. I’ll add some photos below of the stitches (scheduled to come out on June 23rd, surgery was May 12th) and just him being cute.

If anyone needs a recommendation for a good vet in the Denver area I will drop my vet’s info! They are great!!!
So thankful to hear this! Have been thinking about your girl and hoping for good news and this is the best news! 💞My girl was recently spayed and was eating the next day! But she does love her food 🤣it’s amazing how resilient this little dinosaurs are! Wishing your girl a speedy recovery! Quick question? Did your vet say anything about removing stitches? Our vet said bee needs to shed hers out before she can have a bath or any of her decor back and she misses her log.I see about putting a towel on them but still worry she may rub or scrap her stitches while climbing up.Also wanted to add about the weight,bee was 550g before surgery and came out at about 470g,but she was carrying a lot of big eggs with built up follicles.I would keep an eye on her weight but she should hopefully start putting on weight (or at least stay the same weight) unless she starts loosing weight she should be all good.

Last edited:

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
So thankful to hear this! Have been thinking about your girl and hoping for good news and this is the best news! 💞My girl was recently spayed and was eating the next day! But she does love her food 🤣it’s amazing how resilient this little dinosaurs are! Wishing your girl a speedy recovery! Quick question? Did your vet say anything about removing stitches? Our vet said bee needs to shed hers out before she can have a bath or any of her decor back and she misses her log.I see about putting a towel on them but still worry she may rub or scrap her stitches while climbing up.Also wanted to add about the weight,bee was 550g before surgery and came out at about 470g,but she was carrying a lot of big eggs with built up follicles.I would keep an eye on her weight but she should hopefully start putting on weight (or at least stay the same weight) unless she starts loosing weight she should be all good.
The vet did not say Clyde would shed the stitches. He’s supposed to get them taken out on the 23rd of June but I heard that if they shed the stitches might come off on their own. They said no bath for 2 weeks so even though the stitches are still in Clyde is now allowed to bathe! But I’m going to hold off on it a little longer just to play it safe, he doesn’t love baths either, doesn’t hate them but not crazy about it.

Clyde actually had his log in his cage post-op with no towel on it. I wasn’t home and didn’t think about it, and the vet didn’t tell my mom to remove logs. That being said his stitches have been fine and the vet says they are healing wonderfully. I added the towel just in case, and I secured it with a rubber band. I’ll add a pic for you. He needs it to get up to his net to bask. If it’s been a month I wouldn’t worry too much about adding the log back if it relatively smooth, but that’s just my opinion. Glad your girl is doing well too!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 85

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
One more quick question that is kind of off-topic but, I’ve been recently adding bee pollen to Clyde’s salads and he likes it! Does anyone know how often they can eat this? Can I put it on his salad every day?

I got it off instagram from a beardie owner who sells it, it’s called called Reptilian Kingdom. Also Clyde has an instagram if anyone is interested lol!

Subion

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
I’m so glad Clyde is doing fine. My girl is currently sick with follicle build up and where I live there is only 2 vets that deal in exotics. 1 I had a bad experience with years ago and the other I’m currently seeing has only done 2 of the surgeries because she said people just don’t bring their reptiles in. I’m so terrified right now I’m going to make the wrong choice. People on here has been very helpful and seeing your post helps me have more hope.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I’m so glad Clyde is doing fine. My girl is currently sick with follicle build up and where I live there is only 2 vets that deal in exotics. 1 I had a bad experience with years ago and the other I’m currently seeing has only done 2 of the surgeries because she said people just don’t bring their reptiles in. I’m so terrified right now I’m going to make the wrong choice. People on here has been very helpful and seeing your post helps me have more hope.

We will keep you and your baby in PRAYER

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Please let me know how she does! It’s so scary and a difficult decision to make :/ I was so unsure if Clyde even needed the surgery but it ended up being the right choice! The surgeon didn’t see clear infection but the follicles had started to become red and irritated which means an infection could’ve been starting. And if your baby has follicles (not egg-bound) the surgery should be even safer. I’m sorry you are unable to find someone with more experience, but if they seem knowledgeable and trustworthy that’s good!

Good luck from me and Clyde <3

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news to hear Clyde is recovering so nicely now! I am sure she probably feels better
too. That's excellent no infection was seen, either because that is always a concern.
So you will get the stitches out on June 23rd? Just forego baths right now & you can use wet ones
to wipe her down when needed!
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Subion

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Please let me know how she does! It’s so scary and a difficult decision to make :/ I was so unsure if Clyde even needed the surgery but it ended up being the right choice! The surgeon didn’t see clear infection but the follicles had started to become red and irritated which means an infection could’ve been starting. And if your baby has follicles (not egg-bound) the surgery should be even safer. I’m sorry you are unable to find someone with more experience, but if they seem knowledgeable and trustworthy that’s good!

Good luck from me and Clyde <3
I just got her home and she’s resting now. One of the follicles was infected so that’s a relief knowing they are all out. I know exactly where you were coming from though, I kept worrying if I should get a second opinion or if I was making the right call at all. It was very stressful. I am glad I decided to go with my vet though even knowing she only did 2 surgeries like this she did great. Thank you for your concern and support.

How is Clyde doing?

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I just got her home and she’s resting now. One of the follicles was infected so that’s a relief knowing they are all out. I know exactly where you were coming from though, I kept worrying if I should get a second opinion or if I was making the right call at all. It was very stressful. I am glad I decided to go with my vet though even knowing she only did 2 surgeries like this she did great. Thank you for your concern and support.

How is Clyde doing?
Clyde is doing great! We just road-tripped from Colorado to California. I was worried the move would be stressful but he’s done it before and he’s just been doing so well :) and thanks @Drache613 for the bath advice. He’s pretty itchy rn because he’s about to shed so I’m gonna get him some damp cloth or something later to help him out.

Vet wasn’t available to take the stitches out on the 23rd so I had to schedule for the 27th but hopefully that’s fine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific Clyde is doing so well now!
Wow, it sounds like they got the surgery done in time before the ovaries got too bad since there
was inflammation there. So did she have a nice road trip?
That is perfectly fine to wait awhile longer to get her back to the vet for removing the stitches. It
probably does itch some but it is healing up!

Tracie

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Clyde had a good road trip. And the stitches were supposed to be removed in 2 days but yesterday most of them came off with his shed! There is only 1 stitch (out of the 6) remaining. I might just wait for it to fall off, but I should probably take him in for a check-up on the scar tissue anyways.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great Clyde had a good trip! So the stitches are just coming out on their own now, how
is that area healing up?
How is her appetite doing? It sounds like things are going well, I'm sure she is feeling a lot better
now.
Keep us posted on how it is all going!

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom