Clogged pores, beardie won't let me clean them

Inkticious

What do I do? My beardie won't let me clean her pores, and they are definetly clogged. I'm trying my best to clean em, but she just won't let me, she won't let me soak her for long enough, and she won't let me scrub or even touch her pores. Best I can do is sometimes get a lil bit of the white chalk like substance to break a tiny piece off. She is perfectly healthy, and this is her only issue. She is super active, and everything.

Shes my lil baby, i don't want her to suffer or have anything bad happen to her, i'd never be able to forgive myself if i was unable to properly take care of her and cause her to get ill or injured.

I need advice on what to do, and how to go about cleaning her pores, i'll attach a photo of her pores, the brush I use, and her.

20230101_174455.jpg

Attachments

• 20230101_175239.jpg
    20230101_175239.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230101_175223.jpg
    20230101_175223.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 60

Inkticious

Original Poster
Shes currently upset with me and kept fighting with me while i was trying to brush her legs. I just hope she understands I am not trying to hurt her, or be mean to her. I am doing my best to be gentle and all when brushing her legs.
Shes my whole world, i love her like i'd love my own flesh and blood.

Inkticious

Original Poster
For context, she has places she can rub her legs on, but she just doesnt. She also hates being inside her tank, she is very much a people dragon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For context, she has places she can rub her legs on, but she just doesnt. She also hates being inside her tank, she is very much a people dragon.
She needs at least 4 hours of basking time --- the pores look fine - its when they get to where they are protruding then you can soak in some betadine make it look like a weak tea and you can also use some coconut oil on them to make them soft - when they are soft you can gently squeeze them they should come right out if they are soft enough - but for now they look fine

Inkticious

Original Poster
She needs at least 4 hours of basking time --- the pores look fine - its when they get to where they are protruding then you can soak in some betadine make it look like a weak tea and you can also use some coconut oil on them to make them soft - when they are soft you can gently squeeze them they should come right out if they are soft enough - but for now they look fine
She gets more then 4 hours of basking time, i make sure that she spends time getting her heat from her basking light and all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They are protuding.
ok so you can either soak in betadine - it may take several soaks - or get some coconut oil and use a soft baby tooth brush and brush on them keep doing it till they are soft - then gently squeeze them -

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your beardie is a male btw, the pores will be fine if you follow Karrie's suggestions and also make sure he has enough time in the enclosure where the rough surfaces are.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
ADHD beat me to it she is a he.
A piece of sandstone, limestone,basalt, granite, ect is great for keeping them rubbed down. Just make sure its sanitized and don't have any sharp edges.
I'm going to attach a pic of how to sex them.

Attachments

• s2OIALbl.jpg
    s2OIALbl.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 59

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, and you don't have to squeeze them, just soak him in a weak Betadine solution in warm water a few times a week and keep him in the enclosure with the rough decor for the majority of the day.

Inkticious

Original Poster
ADHD beat me to it she is a he.
A piece of sandstone, limestone,basalt, granite, ect is great for keeping them rubbed down. Just make sure its sanitized and don't have any sharp edges.
I'm going to attach a pic of how to sex them.
We took her to a vet not too long avo, and they said she's a girl. They took x-rays of her, cuz she was acting weird, [ thankfully was just an infection, they gave her antibiotics so she was a lil frightened when they handed her back to us ], we thought she might've been a boy at first as well but, pretty sure shes a female.

Also, don't have any of that stuff, and, I don't wanna accidentally hurt her.

Inkticious

Original Poster
ok so you can either soak in betadine - it may take several soaks - or get some coconut oil and use a soft baby tooth brush and brush on them keep doing it till they are soft - then gently squeeze them -
Gotcha, thank you so much, do you think a nail brush will be okay? Or should I go back to the toothbrush I had gotten specifically for cleaning her?

Inkticious

Original Poster
When she's up I'll send a photo of her enclosure, I don't wanna wake her up right now, cuz shes currently sleeping and I don't wanna mess up her sleep schedule.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Either brush will be fine, you can set him in the water and sneak the toothbrush under him more easily without handling him too much. And no ,your dragon is not female, he's 100% male. There's not one shred of doubt. Your vet might see reptiles but they definitely got this wrong. There are 2 prominent lumps above the vent and also the large femoral pores, it's not even a guess, the 2 hemi pene bulges are prominent.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Either brush will be fine, you can set him in the water and sneak the toothbrush under him more easily without handling him too much. And no ,your dragon is not female, he's 100% male. There's not one shred of doubt. Your vet might see reptiles but they definitely got this wrong. There are 2 prominent lumps above the vent and also the large femoral pores, it's not even a guess, the 2 hemi pene bulges are prominent.
I agree, he is a very manly he lol 😆

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom