Claud The Backyard Farmer (self proclaimed)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Had to look up cantaloop ( only ever known them as rock melons ).

This might help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EQPDoBfjWg

How are you going to support their vines especially when forming fruit - timber trellis between Y stakes or concreter's reinforcement wire mesh between Y stakes or …. ?
I expect they'll need a strong frame some kind to keep vertical.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Freakin' rollie-pollies have eaten pretty much all of my sprouts... I actually saw like 30 of them on my watermelon plant.. I did not know they ate plants like that.

I've never used pesticides and I've always wanted them in my gardens because they are good for breaking things down and helping the soil.. but these little buggers are making me angry lol.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Saw a post online about pouring some beer into some empty tuna cans and placing those around your plants. Apparently the pill bugs are attracted to the beer and will fall in and die....

Gonna try it and then replant my beans.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
They are eating the plants themselves, not the fruit or anything. These are all fresh seedlings that sprouted so very soft and tender still.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Claudiusx":19qcl3lb said:
They are eating the plants themselves, not the fruit or anything. These are all fresh seedlings that sprouted so very soft and tender still.

-Brandon
https://www.epicgardening.com/pill-bugs/
screenshot-538.png

screenshot-539.png

Maybe try some homebrew white oil on the plant stems to deter them.
https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/factsheets/diy-white-oil/9437342

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Garden is probably done for the season. My seedlings got destroyed and I just haven't had time to replant anything.

-Brandon

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
I dig it. … :rolleyes: … see what I did there? :D

I spent last spring/summer building these (my wife is the gardener). This was after a spent a summer fixing the grade/level of the small yard. This past summer we enjoyed a good supply of tomatoes, though.

8ADF9F8A-15CF-48A4-85BB-E03833B8F1B1.jpeg
6AB092E7-4BFB-4904-A88F-DC246A9AEA08.jpeg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That is really well done and is an attractive feature to your yard, nice job ! I love tomatoes , don't have a garden but some generous friends do. :)

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
@Claudiusx , I promise I won't hijack your thread too much more. :)

This was my big yard project this past spring... Before the path, it was just dirt like to the side of the path. All I can say is... Youtube is your friend! I'd never done anything like this, but I can say that I'm pretty proud with how it turned out. Certainly learned lessons where I'd do some things differently, but overall very happy with it all. And cutting/breaking flagstone... serious respect to the pros out there that do that well.

tempImageZWCYzI.jpg
tempImagezxC5nN.jpg
tempImageW4zKuc.jpg

It's amazing how much dirt that digging down a mere 2-3 inches produces. That pile was only about half the total. It took a while to get rid of it all.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
That's quite alright. My fall garden is ruined anyways thanks to a certain puppy.....

This thread is going to bed dead until spring most likely lol.

Good job on the backyard. DIY is the way to go!

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Claudiusx .... I saw this in my news feed today Grocery stores struggle with empty shelves from food supply shortages
how are supermarkets looking in your neck of the woods ???
if it's happening in your area , bet you are glad you put in those raised beds now.

Are the restriction / rationing staples to concerve stock yet ?
There been a run on tissue paper and paper towel , mince , chicken pieces and cooking supplies there ?

The crazies are clearing the shelves here ( hot items in Jan2022 are RATs , surgical and N95 masks , chicken pieces, mince , snags, all manner of vegs , and yet the great dunnypaper run is on AGAIN ....

if it's happening in your area , bet you are glad you put in those raised beds now.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Very nice ..... and well built ... how big are they ?
Each level is just 2 sq. ft. (2' x 1'), 4 levels each. Each tier adds 6"... so 6", 12", 18", and 24" depth. Total height is about 27-28"... width is about 30" or so, and the length is about 5-6'. I actually designed it out in SketchUp before building it. Commercial grade kitchen silicone caulking (which is food safe) is used instead of mortar, to give it a loose-lay look while still being reasonably strong for the level of use. The bricks are only half inch to an inch down from grade, so it's just on top of ground really. I have rebar regularly throughout, and that does go down about 12-18 inches into the ground to keep it all stable as well. Originally, I designed the drip watering system feed to run through the middle (there are breaks in the brick below soil level to allow water to flow and where I run the 1/2" line). Before out next planting season, I'll be taking out that main feed, and instead running the water system along the outer sides instead, just to make it easier to work with and change as needs change.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom