Changing baby to 20 gallon long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

___Lana___

Original Poster
Update!

I got some 1/4 inch crickets today, they seem a bit small for him, I wonder if I could even go a little bit bigger? But he’s eaten at least 20 today!!!! I’ll give him his last feeding 1.5-2 hours before his lights go out so I’m assuming he’ll gobble them up again! Oh I’m so happy he’s eating!!! I only got 100 crickets but now I’m thinking I should have gotten him more!

Just curious about a estimate on when he’ll be able to eat a 1/2 inch or slightly bigger? I got these ones from the cricket farm that supplies our pet store in town, they said they would ask if the pet store wants to stock the 1/4 inch for me (the farm is about 20 min away) but I don’t want them to go to all that trouble if it won’t be much longer before he can eat 1/2 inch (depends how long the store has them by the time I would get them if they’ll be bigger than that tho they purchase the 1/2 inch and the guy says they grow pretty fast)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Update!

I got some 1/4 inch crickets today, they seem a bit small for him, I wonder if I could even go a little bit bigger? But he’s eaten at least 20 today!!!! I’ll give him his last feeding 1.5-2 hours before his lights go out so I’m assuming he’ll gobble them up again! Oh I’m so happy he’s eating!!! I only got 100 crickets but now I’m thinking I should have gotten him more!

Just curious about a estimate on when he’ll be able to eat a 1/2 inch or slightly bigger? I got these ones from the cricket farm that supplies our pet store in town, they said they would ask if the pet store wants to stock the 1/4 inch for me (the farm is about 20 min away) but I don’t want them to go to all that trouble if it won’t be much longer before he can eat 1/2 inch (depends how long the store has them by the time I would get them if they’ll be bigger than that tho they purchase the 1/2 inch and the guy says they grow pretty fast)
I guess it depends on how fast he grows - if your supplier is only 20 min away I would stick w/ them - are they cheaper getting them from then than having the pet store order them in?

___Lana___

Original Poster
I guess it depends on how fast he grows - if your supplier is only 20 min away I would stick w/ them - are they cheaper getting them from then than having the pet store order them in?
No I don’t think so, I paid $13 for 100 crickets straight from the farm (but that was also delivered to my house) at the store he sells groups of 30 and I got 30 for $4 and change.

There’s a chain pet store in the next town that’s cheaper but they always have bigger crickets (chirping even) and the cricket farm basically makes products for human consumption so for whatever reason I think they’re higher quality so I’m happy paying a bit more. Dunno if it actually makes a difference or not haha.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No I don’t think so, I paid $13 for 100 crickets straight from the farm (but that was also delivered to my house) at the store he sells groups of 30 and I got 30 for $4 and change.

There’s a chain pet store in the next town that’s cheaper but they always have bigger crickets (chirping even) and the cricket farm basically makes products for human consumption so for whatever reason I think they’re higher quality so I’m happy paying a bit more. Dunno if it actually makes a difference or not haha.
For delivery thats great and you do NOT want crickets chirping those are male adults wayyyyyyyyyy to big -- so I would stick w/ your 1/4 for now - and have them delivered

___Lana___

Original Poster
For delivery thats great and you do NOT want crickets chirping those are male adults wayyyyyyyyyy to big -- so I would stick w/ your 1/4 for now - and have them delivered
Not sure if they’ll deliver all the time but I also have no issues going to pick them up, I have Covid now so can’t leave.

How many would you suggest I buy for a week? I’m probley not the most skilled at keeping them alive so didn’t want to go to crazy haha

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not sure if they’ll deliver all the time but I also have no issues going to pick them up, I have Covid now so can’t leave.

How many would you suggest I buy for a week? I’m probley not the most skilled at keeping them alive so didn’t want to go to crazy haha
Crickets are hard to keep alive PERIOD --- I would suggest getting a 10 gallon aquarium and order 200 or so of dubia roaches go by the chart on the website for the size - look at her head compared to the chart on the website - your going to have better luck keeping roaches than crickets - crickets stink bad - roaches not so much - www.dubiaroaches.com they will eat stuff the dragon eats not so much greens but stuff like squash fruit carrots do not feed the dragon carrots too to much Vit A they will eat raw sweet potato - reg potatos I also feed mine dubia food and dubia dew for hydration - you can figure out how many to order by how many your feeding per day / then how many per week go from there - roaches keep for a long time -- when you find him eating a big amount it would then be time to up the size - Blaze was 3 months old I fed him BSFL about 20-30 on top of his salads in the morning after about an hour of him eating those I then added his roaches in the salad bowl about 10 -15 -- those were dusted second feeding in the afternoon I started off w/ 10 NOT dusted - I also fed medium super worms 1-3 every other day and when I ordered silk worms I fed him like 4 of them - w/ all that feeding the second feeding stopped - he filled up in the mornings I offered but he ate very little at second feeding I think those stopped around 5 months old or so --

___Lana___

Original Poster
Crickets are hard to keep alive PERIOD --- I would suggest getting a 10 gallon aquarium and order 200 or so of dubia roaches go by the chart on the website for the size - look at her head compared to the chart on the website - your going to have better luck keeping roaches than crickets - crickets stink bad - roaches not so much - www.dubiaroaches.com they will eat stuff the dragon eats not so much greens but stuff like squash fruit carrots do not feed the dragon carrots too to much Vit A they will eat raw sweet potato - reg potatos I also feed mine dubia food and dubia dew for hydration - you can figure out how many to order by how many your feeding per day / then how many per week go from there - roaches keep for a long time -- when you find him eating a big amount it would then be time to up the size - Blaze was 3 months old I fed him BSFL about 20-30 on top of his salads in the morning after about an hour of him eating those I then added his roaches in the salad bowl about 10 -15 -- those were dusted second feeding in the afternoon I started off w/ 10 NOT dusted - I also fed medium super worms 1-3 every other day and when I ordered silk worms I fed him like 4 of them - w/ all that feeding the second feeding stopped - he filled up in the mornings I offered but he ate very little at second feeding I think those stopped around 5 months old or so --
I wish I could get Dubai roaches but I’m in Canada and you can’t get them here

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I wish I could get Dubai roaches but I’m in Canada and you can’t get them here
Ok so that won't work - silk worms are a staple but spendy - what about bsfl also known as Phoenix worms calci worms nutri grubs

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Glad he's eating a lot of the 1/4" crickets ! Keep it up for a short while, he'll grow very fast and within a couple weeks you can go with the 1/2 inch size, once your baby has grown an inch or so.

___Lana___

Original Poster
Glad he's eating a lot of the 1/4" crickets ! Keep it up for a short while, he'll grow very fast and within a couple weeks you can go with the 1/2 inch size, once your baby has grown an inch or so.
Thank you! I put 2 picture side by side from today and when we got him and I didn’t realize how big he’s actually grown even since then!

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
yeah you'll get up one morning and suddenly realise he no longer looks like a baby. Around the three to 4 month period a lot of them have a growth spurt and they can grow an inch a week. You'll notice that his snout has elongated and he will no longer have the little stubby hatchling head but instead be sporting one that looks like that of an adult :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom