Changing baby to 20 gallon long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

___Lana___

Original Poster
Is he pooping? Or has he pooped --- cut the size please to avoid issues
Is this good for his uvb? I just got his background in the mail too so that will be added. Anything else?

Attachments

• 30A9E777-03F1-4324-81D1-CF7843AC38A5.jpeg
    30A9E777-03F1-4324-81D1-CF7843AC38A5.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 102
  • FBA1B3E6-6E6B-466C-804B-23E557C9BD22.jpeg
    FBA1B3E6-6E6B-466C-804B-23E557C9BD22.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 96

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is this good for his uvb? I just got his background in the mail too so that will be added. Anything else?
Ok yes that is good for now but when he gets bigger he wont be able to sit on that decor very well w/ the stick part in the air - its a great piece I have the same piece in my tank but have it sitting different I will show you the big trunk is more wider for him to sit on -

Attachments

• Blaze tank 12-29-2020.jpg
    Blaze tank 12-29-2020.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 88

___Lana___

Original Poster
Ok yes that is good for now but when he gets bigger he wont be able to sit on that decor very well w/ the stick part in the air - its a great piece I have the same piece in my tank but have it sitting different I will show you the big trunk is more wider for him to sit on -
Ah yes I see! Once I upgrade him to a zen habitats tank I have a very large piece of driftwood I was planning to use.

It’s hard to find a good place for the thermostat probe on the piece that’s in there, where I had it before part of it got to hot and now it seems it’s not quite hot enough? The hottest part now is at 95

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ah yes I see! Once I upgrade him to a zen habitats tank I have a very large piece of driftwood I was planning to use.

It’s hard to find a good place for the thermostat probe on the piece that’s in there, where I had it before part of it got to hot and now it seems it’s not quite hot enough? The hottest part now is at 95
You don't need to leave the probe there spot check once a week where he's sitting to bask what wattage are you using

___Lana___

Original Poster
If I get
You don't need to leave the probe there spot check once a week where he's sitting to bask what wattage are you using
its a 100 watt Arcadia halogen plugged into an exo terra dimming thermostat and then I have a 100 watt che for night

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If I get

its a 100 watt Arcadia halogen plugged into an exo terra dimming thermostat and then I have a 100 watt che for night
Ok the che is good for night time temps if they are falling below 65 - are you running the che during the day too? Is the dimmer turned up all the way ?

___Lana___

Original Poster
Ok the che is good for night time temps if they are falling below 65 - are you running the che during the day too? Is the dimmer turned up all the way ?
Che just turns on at night, kept the tank at 69-70 it’s plugged into a thermostat too. The dimming one is turned up all the way yes

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Che just turns on at night, kept the tank at 69-70 it’s plugged into a thermostat too. The dimming one is turned up all the way yes
Ok you might look at getting a higher watt- but you must have the digital probe thermometer- you don't want to burn him up

___Lana___

Original Poster
Ok you might look at getting a higher watt- but you must have the digital probe thermometer- you don't want to burn him up
Yes the dimming thermostat has the probe, that’s what I try to stick to his basking spot so it doesn’t get to hot but it’s hard to get it to stay in a good place

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Sounds like you are getting everything sorted out really nicely. As was stated earlier just keep an eye on the UV as he grows - because as he gets bigger he will obviously be nearer to the light and at the moment you are right on the limit for distance between lizard and light.

If possible raise the UV another inch above the lid - rest the ends on inch thick blocks or something - that way you have a bit more leeway

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You did a great job on arranging the tank and it's nice to see that you got a good uvb bulb . :) The baby is VERY tiny, was he from a breeder or a store ? It's good that he's eating + pooping, just be very careful with the cricket size, it can definitely cause impaction and hind leg paralysis if the insects are too big. I would suggest doing what you first mentioned which is putting him in the 20 gallon tank. A tiny fragile baby has no room for error on heat + uvb so the shorter tank gives him a much better chance of receiving the proper heat + uvb whereas in the large tank he has to seek it out by climbing. Some people may say that in the wild they take care of themselves but in the wild the uvb + heat reach them whether they climb or not.

___Lana___

Original Poster
You did a great job on arranging the tank and it's nice to see that you got a good uvb bulb . :) The baby is VERY tiny, was he from a breeder or a store ? It's good that he's eating + pooping, just be very careful with the cricket size, it can definitely cause impaction and hind leg paralysis if the insects are too big. I would suggest doing what you first mentioned which is putting him in the 20 gallon tank. A tiny fragile baby has no room for error on heat + uvb so the shorter tank gives him a much better chance of receiving the proper heat + uvb whereas in the large tank he has to seek it out by climbing. Some people may say that in the wild they take care of themselves but in the wild the uvb + heat reach them whether they climb or not.
I wouldn’t say he was from a breeder…..that what I thought but when I picked him up I think it was just someone who had dragons and hatched eggs. They said he was the runt, he has grown a bit since we got him but I am wondering if he will always be small. After I rearranged things he definitley started running around more and the last thing I want to do is stress him out more so I’m not really sure what the best thing is right now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
yes those are too big-- cut them in half till you get the BSFL -- you need pin head crickets --
Karrie I think you mean 1/4 inch crickets. Pet stores sometimes call their small crickets pinheads but if you order true pinheads, they are uselessly tiny, about the size of a sesame seed. Those are sold to feed tiny frogs and geckos.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Karrie I think you mean 1/4 inch crickets. Pet stores sometimes call their small crickets pinheads but if you order true pinheads, they are uselessly tiny, about the size of a sesame seed. Those are sold to feed tiny frogs and geckos.
Oops ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom