Changing baby to 20 gallon long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 7.5 week old baby, he’s currently in a 40 gallon, we’ve had him about 1.5 weeks and he’s still barely eating. For a couple days he ate about 8 crickets each day but now he’s barely eating again, 1 cricket the last 2 days. He’s pooping everyday, basking temp is 110-115, he has a wood ornament he can choose hot hot he wants to be, humidity is 20 (warm side)- 30% (cool side) ambient temps are good. He has an Arcadia 12% uvb bulb. He just won’t eat. We called a small reptile store and they suggested he may still be adjusting or could be scared in his enclosure so we could try blocking 1/2 of it off.

I have an extra 20 gallon long front opening tank, should I just switch everything over to that? Do you think that would help?

Attachments

• D9B4FDF3-44B4-49DB-B2F4-2BCC23303CB3.jpeg
    D9B4FDF3-44B4-49DB-B2F4-2BCC23303CB3.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 130
  • 69119542-C426-4FEA-A3F5-47D7323883C6.jpeg
    69119542-C426-4FEA-A3F5-47D7323883C6.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 5906B4BB-1E7D-4E1D-83D6-A58ECC81A199.jpeg
    5906B4BB-1E7D-4E1D-83D6-A58ECC81A199.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 97

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a 7.5 week old baby, he’s currently in a 40 gallon, we’ve had him about 1.5 weeks and he’s still barely eating. For a couple days he ate about 8 crickets each day but now he’s barely eating again, 1 cricket the last 2 days. He’s pooping everyday, basking temp is 110-115, he has a wood ornament he can choose hot hot he wants to be, humidity is 20 (warm side)- 30% (cool side) ambient temps are good. He has an Arcadia 12% uvb bulb. He just won’t eat. We called a small reptile store and they suggested he may still be adjusting or could be scared in his enclosure so we could try blocking 1/2 of it off.

I have an extra 20 gallon long front opening tank, should I just switch everything over to that? Do you think that would help?
What ever is easiest for you -- blocking off the 40 gallon is going to save relocation stress later all you will haft to do is open the tank up -- the UVB is where on the tank? Top of screen or inside the tank? Your screen will determine where the UVB can be placed along w/ distance- his eating will be off because of the relocation stress and as long as hes eating something that is good - are you offering salads - they usually wont eat them and we often recommend getting some BSFL to add as salad toppers to get them to the salad bowl - but for now let focus on the basking temps and the UVB placement - basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and they should be surface temps - 115 is too hot you want 105-110 surface basking temps

___Lana___

Original Poster
What ever is easiest for you -- blocking off the 40 gallon is going to save relocation stress later all you will haft to do is open the tank up -- the UVB is where on the tank? Top of screen or inside the tank? Your screen will determine where the UVB can be placed along w/ distance- his eating will be off because of the relocation stress and as long as hes eating something that is good - are you offering salads - they usually wont eat them and we often recommend getting some BSFL to add as salad toppers to get them to the salad bowl - but for now let focus on the basking temps and the UVB placement - basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and they should be surface temps - 115 is too hot you want 105-110 surface basking temps
Ok I can turn his thermostat down, it’s only 115 on a small section but he doesn’t really bask there. The uvb is on top of the screen, not sure how to mount it inside. I will look for BSFL, I might be able to get a store to order some in for me. I give him a salad everyday but he doesn’t touch it. I’m worried the crickets might be a little big but 1/2 inch is as small as I can find around me.

What would you suggest blocking off his current tank with? Would that effect the temp gradient? He’s never really on the cool side anyway tho

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I can turn his thermostat down, it’s only 115 on a small section but he doesn’t really bask there. The uvb is on top of the screen, not sure how to mount it inside. I will look for BSFL, I might be able to get a store to order some in for me. I give him a salad everyday but he doesn’t touch it. I’m worried the crickets might be a little big but 1/2 inch is as small as I can find around me.

What would you suggest blocking off his current tank with? Would that effect the temp gradient? He’s never really on the cool side anyway tho
Use a piece of cardboard - order some BSFL from here and I would order small - www.symtonbsf.com - DO NOT feed him any insect bigger than the space between his eyes it will impact him - as far as the UVB show me your screen please

___Lana___

Original Poster
Use a piece of cardboard - order some BSFL from here and I would order small - www.symtonbsf.com - DO NOT feed him any insect bigger than the space between his eyes it will impact him - as far as the UVB show me your screen please
I’m in Canada, I haven’t found anywhere to order from that the shipping isn’t $100 cause of winter.

Attachments

• A75D1321-A329-4F33-AC20-CF8A70A8AC0C.jpeg
    A75D1321-A329-4F33-AC20-CF8A70A8AC0C.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 0BE1E97C-69D6-4D32-BB27-1BC907A4F045.jpeg
    0BE1E97C-69D6-4D32-BB27-1BC907A4F045.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 113

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’m in Canada, I haven’t found anywhere to order from that the shipping isn’t $100 cause of winter.
Ok for top of screen the distance is too far you have a wide holed screen it can stay there but as it sits now the distance is too far away --- you need to get a piece of decor directly under it 8-10 inches --- if you want to take the screen off distance would be 12-15 inches --- have you tried these vendors in CA Home - The Worm Lady
Worms - The Dragon Lair they have BSFL also called soldier worms also known as calci worms phoenix worms nutri grubs
look here please NO meal worms or wax worms - the meal worms are too harsh on babies stomachs and the wax worms are too fatty - the butter worms are good and small super worms but only feed 1-3 every other day on the salads --

___Lana___

Original Poster
Ok for top of screen the distance is too far you have a wide holed screen it can stay there but as it sits now the distance is too far away --- you need to get a piece of decor directly under it 8-10 inches --- if you want to take the screen off distance would be 12-15 inches --- have you tried these vendors in CA Home - The Worm Lady
Worms - The Dragon Lair they have BSFL also called soldier worms also known as calci worms phoenix worms nutri grubs
look here please NO meal worms or wax worms - the meal worms are too harsh on babies stomachs and the wax worms are too fatty - the butter worms are good and small super worms but only feed 1-3 every other day on the salads --
Ok I’ll see what I can use to raise up his basking ornament a bit, I figured it would be tall enough but I guess not. It sounds like my local pet store can order me in bsfl with there next order. I checked the worm lady already and it was $112 shipping, I can look into the other site. In the meantime could I cut the crickets I have in half and tong feed? I don’t wanna give him crickets that are to big but 1/2 inch is all I have at the moment

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Personally I'd correct the UV height position before blocking off the enclosure. At the moment your baby isn't getting enough UV off the tube and UVA along with the IR assists in regulating appetite and the digestive system.

Simplest thing for you to do is what has been suggested above and arrange some decor in there around 8-10" directly below the UV tube.

Seeing as you've only had him for just over a week he is still probably suffering from relocation stress. It is best not to handle him unless absolutely necessary too until he is feeling more secure in the tank.

Another thing you might want to consider is putting some kind of background on both the rear and sides of an all glass enclosure as young Beardies often prefer a more 'enclosed' environment when really young. Just tape it on the outside of the glass. Keeping him in the 40 gallon with blocked off sides is going to allow much better temperature gradients and control than partitioning it off into two 20's. Add plenty of places he can crawl onto / under on both the cool as well as warm sides as hiding places are providing another source of security.

It sometimes takes weeks for a youngster to settle down in a new viv and eating can be affected during this time. Obviously if he stops eating altogether then further measures may be required.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I’ll see what I can use to raise up his basking ornament a bit, I figured it would be tall enough but I guess not. It sounds like my local pet store can order me in bsfl with there next order. I checked the worm lady already and it was $112 shipping, I can look into the other site. In the meantime could I cut the crickets I have in half and tong feed? I don’t wanna give him crickets that are to big but 1/2 inch is all I have at the moment
Yes you can cut them in half ang tong feed him but also hand feed too you don't want him completely tong fed - post a pic of the cricket next to his head please

___Lana___

Original Poster
Personally I'd correct the UV height position before blocking off the enclosure. At the moment your baby isn't getting enough UV off the tube and UVA along with the IR assists in regulating appetite and the digestive system.

Simplest thing for you to do is what has been suggested above and arrange some decor in there around 8-10" directly below the UV tube.

Seeing as you've only had him for just over a week he is still probably suffering from relocation stress. It is best not to handle him unless absolutely necessary too until he is feeling more secure in the tank.

Another thing you might want to consider is putting some kind of background on both the rear and sides of an all glass enclosure as young Beardies often prefer a more 'enclosed' environment when really young. Just tape it on the outside of the glass. Keeping him in the 40 gallon with blocked off sides is going to allow much better temperature gradients and control than partitioning it off into two 20's. Add plenty of places he can crawl onto / under on both the cool as well as warm sides as hiding places are providing another source of security.

It sometimes takes weeks for a youngster to settle down in a new viv and eating can be affected during this time. Obviously if he stops eating altogether then further measures may be required.
Thank you! I will be rearranging his tank tonight, I have ordered a background that should be here today or tomorrow

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes those are too big-- cut them in half till you get the BSFL -- you need pin head crickets --

___Lana___

Original Poster
yes those are too big-- cut them in half till you get the BSFL -- you need pin head crickets --
Thank you! I’ll definitely do that, I’ve messaged a cricket farm 1/2 hour away from me so maybe I can buy smaller crickets from them since the 2 pet stores only stock this size. He’s been eating these crickets for a few days, will that have done any damage?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you! I’ll definitely do that, I’ve messaged a cricket farm 1/2 hour away from me so maybe I can buy smaller crickets from them since the 2 pet stores only stock this size. He’s been eating these crickets for a few days, will that have done any damage?
Is he pooping? Or has he pooped --- cut the size please to avoid issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom