Change in diet causing watery poop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my bearded dragon about 2 weeks ago and his poop has gone from a formed solid to very watery and not formed at all. He is two years old and loves his veggies he gets mostly kale, peppers and cooked sweet potato. For protein he gets crickets and super worms which are dusted in calcium. He poops about every two days. He has his basking temperatures at about 95 and cooling area about 80, he also has a UVB light above his basking area. The basking area is about 6 inches away from his heat lamp. I don’t think he has parasites as he had formed poop when he arrived and he is very high energy. Any suggestions to get him back on the right track? Thanks so much in advance

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I got my bearded dragon about 2 weeks ago and his poop has gone from a formed solid to very watery and not formed at all. He is two years old and loves his veggies he gets mostly kale, peppers and cooked sweet potato. For protein he gets crickets and super worms which are dusted in calcium. He poops about every two days. He has his basking temperatures at about 95 and cooling area about 80, he also has a UVB light above his basking area. The basking area is about 6 inches away from his heat lamp. I don’t think he has parasites as he had formed poop when he arrived and he is very high energy. Any suggestions to get him back on the right track? Thanks so much in advance
Try increasing the basking temp to 95-100 -- your UVB is a coil or a tube fixture ? We recommend at least 8" from the basking bulb --- how are you getting the temps for basking? NO stick ons they are inaccurate --

Avery lloyd

Original Poster
It is a coil bulb. His tank did come with stick ons so I will buy the digital ones. When he is basking he usually has his mouth open which I read means he is at an optimal temperature for basking im not sure if that’s correct but I will buy the digital thermometer to be sure.
I have also read it may be from him eating too many veggies… he eats a lot of kale probably 80% of his diet is kale

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is a coil bulb. His tank did come with stick ons so I will buy the digital ones. When he is basking he usually has his mouth open which I read means he is at an optimal temperature for basking im not sure if that’s correct but I will buy the digital thermometer to be sure.
I have also read it may be from him eating too many veggies… he eats a lot of kale probably 80% of his diet is kale
Its great hes eating kale----------- Please get rid of the coil -- they are inadequate for a UVB and at this point hes getting little to NO UVB -- you want a long tube fixture like a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank
Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 22" bulb - this will come w/ a 5.0 keep it for a back up distance and placement is different from the 10.0
Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb
Sunblaster Nano Tech 6400 bulb
www.pangeareptiles.com has the Arcadia and Zoo Med
this site has the Sunblaster 24" or 2 ft SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp
Please get this replaced ASAP---- coils are terrible UVB's --
When you get this please post back on here the fixtures have different placement and distance -- your screen will determine where it goes

Avery lloyd

Original Poster
Sorry update I actually found the right one at my local pet store so I’m off to buy that now thank you so much for your help hopefully this gets him on the mend

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much I’m Looking for one now.. looks like those links don’t ship to Canada so I had to change websites… before I order I am wondering if this is okay?
SunBlaster 6400K T5 with Reflector Combo

Or this one preferably as I could pick it up today… https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...QFiEAQYASABEgIgxfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=258
That is the right bulb -- is that in a fixture? those are the right bulbs and you definitely want the reflector-- but I dont see a fixture / hood that it goes into

Avery lloyd

Original Poster
That is the right bulb -- is that in a fixture? those are the right bulbs and you definitely want the reflector-- but I dont see a fixture / hood that it goes into
I ended up getting the bulb and ordering the fixture for it because they were out… it should come in early next week!

Avery lloyd

Original Poster
I got the light! I keep his heat lamp over the hammock. I was wondering if I should place the light facing downwards or facing towards the tank?

Attachments

• 87482355-F373-4725-9BB4-2D8355BDE9AF.jpeg
    87482355-F373-4725-9BB4-2D8355BDE9AF.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 1D55167B-A4CE-47F5-A554-470083C1DC0F.jpeg
    1D55167B-A4CE-47F5-A554-470083C1DC0F.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 81

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Downward ---- ok I want you to get a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb for that fixture 22" -- the bulb I just found out today is not correct but you can use the fixture for that bulb ---- ZM Reptisun T5 UVB 10.0 Linear replace this bulb in one year --- what is the bulb you have now?

Avery lloyd

Original Poster
Great!! So if your using no screen 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor--
Okay awesome thanks so much. I’m going to modify the top of my tank but it does currently have a screen so I’m wondering if it would be okay to set on top of the screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom