Change in demeanor / legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I acquired a male beardie almost two months ago all has been going smooth. I upgraded his habitat to a zen habitat 4x2x2, 150w basking bulb, 24 inch reptisun t5 ubv ( just moved it inside the cage too). He’s normally mega active zooming around his habitat or the house when I let him out (with supervision obvy) and he has a tall basking tower / hideout he loves. I have seen him jump off of it or sometimes he doesn’t gracefully get off it it but since last wed he’s been acting almost scared to walk and when I hold him he’s very tense and nervous and seems scared of heights. Prior to this he loved being held was so relaxed. His back legs seem to be searching for ground to be stable on is the best way I can describe the behavior. Hell walk just low to the ground never really fully lifting up his back legs now. His eating habits have also changed he isn’t eating nearly as much as well and because of that he isn’t pooping as much either by default. I also had a netted hammock he was on the last day he was walking normal which I realized after searching their claws can get stuck etc so I trashed it and replaced it w a soft cloth type one. I think he might of gotten some type of soft tissue injury but I’m not 100%.he has no swollen legs, or fingers, his spine feels straight too. I live in a remote area and the reptile vet is 2+ hours away and booked till end of November. He is also shedding under his arms too that I noticed. Any insight would be so appreciated I hate not seeing him he’s normal active self and I can’t get in w the reptile vet to save my life.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How long was the UVB not in the tank? Its possible hes sprained his legs falling or jumping or MBD is starting depending on how long the UVB was not in the tank ---- make sure now that its in the tank that the distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece-- w / the correct distance for it watch how he starts to walk here in a few days to a week and see if it starts to get better -- that UVB is going to help w/ the healing -- but placement and distance is crucial --- and make sure you change that UVB out in approx a year from install - I recommend a month prior to

Sandrine26

Original Poster
Hi! The ubv was only ontop of the zen mesh top of the cage for a month or so. I really feel he might of sprained or spooked himself perhaps because prior to that he was zooming all around zero issues. And yes I dated the bulb I planned on changing it every 6 months?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
More than likely a sprain then - the uvb should help it heal up- just make sure distance is correct and watch his movements- if it does not get better then a vet visit would be in order-

Sandrine26

Original Poster
Thank you! I made an apt w the only reptile vet and I’m on a cancellation list it’s just crazy end of November. I measured inside and it’s the right distance. I know this is a Oxy Morin question to ask but if he had a sprain that would effect his eating habits? And if he’s shedding random spots on his body now too that also effects eating too?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is his beard black ? If so he may be in pain and that will effect his eating --- shedding can throw it off as well --- if he completely quits eating there is a issue--

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Normal-- he can be slowing down for brumation -- mine havent been eating as much either and my 2 year old has been doing alot of sleeping - today he came out and is basking - he was in his hide for the past 2 days or so -- but he is eating - not as much as normal so he could be my one that goes in to actual brumation time will tell - my 3 year old does not go into full brumation partial he will sleep for 2 weeks and not come out then appear and go back to normal behavior but that is subject to change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom