Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) wattage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering getting a CHE because ambient temperature is going to be cold during the winter... would a heating element be sufficient to keep my beardie safe at night when the rest of the room is very cold? (otherwise, I will keep him in my bedroom -- the only warm room in the house -- during the winter)

What wattage would be appropriate for a juvenile (4-5 months) dragon, enclosed in a 40 gal (16" high, with CHE to be mounted above screen in a dome fixture) tank? 50W? 60W? 75W? 100W?

Also, how long do they last before needing to be replaced?

Would it be better to get something like the Mega-Ray heat projector?

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a Zoo Med CHE 100 watt for a 50 gal tank - it is used all the time in winter months -I have it sitting on top of the mesh lid in front of the basking lamp- so that side of tank is warmer w/ the basking light on rock from 90-106-- it keeps the tank warm at nite w / the basking light off but -- cool side is around 78-80 all the time- you will haft to see how it goes w/ your set up - hope that helps

Karrie

karmakollector

Original Poster
Rethinking how I am going to set things up...

my main concerns were:
1) He is currently in my classroom, and I set the heater to keep the room 68 degrees at night, BUT... I have no way of knowing if some maintenance or cleaning people will suddenly shut it off one day (or I will forget to set it), and it will drop to 50 or less at night...

2) When I bring him home, my wife didn't want to keep him in the bedroom (which is pretty small), but all other rooms of the house get COLD.

But... I finally found some info/specs (in the Mega-Ray FAQ) that says the heat projector at 16" will only warm it about 20 degrees above ambient temp, so if the ambient temp is COLD, it sounds like that still might not be sufficient... Looks like I'll have a roommate after all :lol:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Post a sign by the thermostat saying " Please do not shut off or you'll kill the bearded dragon"!! :)

Karrie

karmakollector

Original Poster
Just did that this morning when I went in to check on him / feed him...

KarrieRee":1gy9bg5z said:
Post a sign by the thermostat saying " Please do not shut off or you'll kill the bearded dragon"!! :)

Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom