Cement tiles reptile safe?

JohnM

Original Poster
Hello. I'm new to this website, and my interest is uromastyx and armadillo lizards, but close enough. I wanted to use roofing tiles as hides, but I'm not sure if the ones made of concrete are reptile/lizard safe. Clay tiles are hard to find but everyone has concrete. My concern is the alkalinity of concrete roof tiles, especially new ones that are not well weathered. Does anyone know if new concrete roof tiles are safe and will not cause skin burns due to alkalinity? Thanks for your help.

Hbdarla

Beardie name(s)
Geode
Hello. I'm new to this website, and my interest is uromastyx and armadillo lizards, but close enough. I wanted to use roofing tiles as hides, but I'm not sure if the ones made of concrete are reptile/lizard safe. Clay tiles are hard to find but everyone has concrete. My concern is the alkalinity of concrete roof tiles, especially new ones that are not well weathered. Does anyone know if new concrete roof tiles are safe and will not cause skin burns due to alkalinity? Thanks for your help.
Hi there! The only thing I would say about using concrete tiles is that it is recommended not to use porous tile or slate because of moisture and or bacteria. I would maybe try some non porous slate.
Sorry if this didn’t help much but I’m trying:)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would think if you sealed them with a reptile safe sealer and let them cure before using they would probably be ok.

JohnM

Original Poster
Hi there! The only thing I would say about using concrete tiles is that it is recommended not to use porous tile or slate because of moisture and or bacteria. I would maybe try some non porous slate.
Sorry if this didn’t help much but I’m trying:)
I appreciate you at least answering my question to some degree. My understanding is that people frequently do use roof tiles as hides, but I don't seem to be able to find a single one that discusses concrete verse clay/terracotta. Perhaps no one had given it a thought or didn't know that there were two types. I certainly didn't until I got a little deeper into it. I was under the impression that beaded dragon owners also used roof tiles. Perhaps not, but I was sure that I read that somewhere. And I figured with how long BDs have been kept that someone would have addressed or had experience with the two types. I suppose that they could be sealed with something to make them nonporous but I haven't found anything regarding that yet. Perhaps someone will eventually chim in with an answer. Thanks.

JohnM

Original Poster
Sealing it will undoubtedly make it safe. It should be safe unsealed too. As long as it isn't getting wet, the alkalinity shouldn't be an issue.

-Brandon
That's kinda what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure about that or if it goes straight from the bath/water dish to the tile to dry off perhaps that would cause concentrated alkalinity. Thought I'd include some pictures of my new C. joneseii. 

Attachments

• IMG_20220831_181359.jpg
    IMG_20220831_181359.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20220831_181403.jpg
    IMG_20220831_181403.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20220831_181406.jpg
    IMG_20220831_181406.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 76

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Awesome looking little dude!
I wasn't sure about that or if it goes straight from the bath/water dish to the tile to dry off perhaps that would cause concentrated alkalinity
It might, but the older the tile gets, the less and less alkaline it will get. Cement naturally drops pH over time due to carbon dioxide in the air reacting with it, although I don't know for sure how long that process takes in our scenario of the surface being the only thing of real concern.

-Brandon

JohnM

Original Poster
Thanks. Common names are sungazers and armadillo lizards. They give birth to live young but usually only have one or two. I've got a male and three females. Wish me luck.

Also thanks for CO2 tidbit. Hadn't thought about that specifically, but I do know that aged concrete is safe. That's why I've been trying to find salvage tiles

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom