Cat swatted by beardie in the eye and now it’s bleeding

Lizardy

I was letting my bearded dragon roam around my room while I cleaned his cage and unbeknownst to me, my cat had hidden herself inside the room. I heard some commotion behind me and turned around just in time to see the cat pop out from under my desk and swat my lizard on the side of his head. I separated the two and put my beardie back in his cage. However, upon closer inspection I realized that there was blood on the lower rim of his eye. I gave him a bath, dropped some clean water into the injured eye and fed him some crickets immediately after. He chased them around and caught a couple, so I’m not sure to what extent the injury has impaired his vision. I snapped a picture after he had gotten a few minutes to calm down and his eye sockets weren’t so puffy, but there’s still a bit of blood. I’m not sure what to do, I can’t really take him to the vet at the moment, but I’m also not sure how severe a wound like this is. What part of his eye actually got injured? How do I treat this? What’s the prognosis for something like this? Please help!

Attachments

• B35D01DE-5040-49E0-9A8D-F4CC72D26A2B.jpeg
    B35D01DE-5040-49E0-9A8D-F4CC72D26A2B.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 432FD967-2455-4D61-81C9-5746467828D1.jpeg
    432FD967-2455-4D61-81C9-5746467828D1.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 455C1C89-B3EF-4E0A-B134-25BDB0E01777.jpeg
    455C1C89-B3EF-4E0A-B134-25BDB0E01777.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 87

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was letting my bearded dragon roam around my room while I cleaned his cage and unbeknownst to me, my cat had hidden herself inside the room. I heard some commotion behind me and turned around just in time to see the cat pop out from under my desk and swat my lizard on the side of his head. I separated the two and put my beardie back in his cage. However, upon closer inspection I realized that there was blood on the lower rim of his eye. I gave him a bath, dropped some clean water into the injured eye and fed him some crickets immediately after. He chased them around and caught a couple, so I’m not sure to what extent the injury has impaired his vision. I snapped a picture after he had gotten a few minutes to calm down and his eye sockets weren’t so puffy, but there’s still a bit of blood. I’m not sure what to do, I can’t really take him to the vet at the moment, but I’m also not sure how severe a wound like this is. What part of his eye actually got injured? How do I treat this? What’s the prognosis for something like this? Please help!
Please get some raw unpasteurized honey on it- use a Q tip - wash the eye w/ some regular saline solution first NO contact lens stuff---- then you can mix a little warm water w/ the honey make sure there is a good amount of honey tho - dont water it down to much you want the effect of that honey to take effect-- the honey is going to kill any infection that may start-- watch the eye for the swelling to go down - are you using a good UVB like a long tube fixture -- NO coils please
@AHBD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry that happened to your dragon. How is he doing?
As Karrie suggested, try some raw unpasteurized honey, thinned out with warm water in
order to make an eye drop solution. You can treat the eye a couple of times daily.
Is he eating anything right now?
Please keep us posted on him.

Tracie

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Hey how is he doing?
Is he hanging in there.?

What they said & time will heal it.
Try and stay calm

Best of wishes

Lizardy

Original Poster
Hello,

Sorry that happened to your dragon. How is he doing?
As Karrie suggested, try some raw unpasteurized honey, thinned out with warm water in
order to make an eye drop solution. You can treat the eye a couple of times daily.
Is he eating anything right now?
Please keep us posted on him.

Tracie
I dabbed some raw honey on the injured eye and it got much less puffy within a couple of hours. He's been eating just fine I think. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things or if he's always been like this, but I think he might be having some trouble aiming because I've watched him make several attempts to nab the same cricket and fail each time. I've resorted to corralling the crickets or outright hand-feeding him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I dabbed some raw honey on the injured eye and it got much less puffy within a couple of hours. He's been eating just fine I think. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things or if he's always been like this, but I think he might be having some trouble aiming because I've watched him make several attempts to nab the same cricket and fail each time. I've resorted to corralling the crickets or outright hand-feeding him.
How's the eye? Are you feeding salads? What are you using for a uvb? This is extremely important for the healing process and over all healtb

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom