Care while treating parasites?

Beardie name(s)
Franklin
My bearded dragon, Franklin, was taken to the vet with concerns of mouth rot. She was cleared for mouth rot and instead suggested to have early signs metabolic bone disease from her previous owners which caused a slight underbite.
She has a lot of saliva buildup on the sides of her mouth. I figured that was just due to the underbite, however the vet found coccidia and pinworms which might be causing the thicker saliva. I was given oral medication to give her. I wasn't sure what I should do in terms of keeping her enclosure clean and ensuring the parasites are gone for good.
I figure the parasites might also be from the previous owners. Although it's hard to say, I try to be proactive about cleaning up feces and uneaten food as well as wiping everything down once a week.
She currently has reptile carpet, just due to the fact that she is a juvenile and I didn't want to risk impaction. I have paper to replace the carpet with while she is receiving treatment. I'm not sure what else I should do to make sure the parasites don't infect her again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon, Franklin, was taken to the vet with concerns of mouth rot. She was cleared for mouth rot and instead suggested to have early signs metabolic bone disease from her previous owners which caused a slight underbite.
She has a lot of saliva buildup on the sides of her mouth. I figured that was just due to the underbite, however the vet found coccidia and pinworms which might be causing the thicker saliva. I was given oral medication to give her. I wasn't sure what I should do in terms of keeping her enclosure clean and ensuring the parasites are gone for good.
I figure the parasites might also be from the previous owners. Although it's hard to say, I try to be proactive about cleaning up feces and uneaten food as well as wiping everything down once a week.
She currently has reptile carpet, just due to the fact that she is a juvenile and I didn't want to risk impaction. I have paper to replace the carpet with while she is receiving treatment. I'm not sure what else I should do to make sure the parasites don't infect her again.
Get some F 10 or rescue or zoo med wipe out - disinfect everytime he poops- take out all but a few decor pieces that you can spray w/ that- I would get rid of the carpet and use paper towels for now-- what are you using for a uvb coil or long tube fixture-- what are your surface basking temps--and how are you taking them? No stick ons please

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Coccidia is extremely hard to kill, and part of its life cycle is to be pooped out and reingested. Most cleaners will not kill it including bleach. Ammonia will but it has drawbacks, 1 it's toxic, 2 it has to be in contact with the Coccidia for 10 to 15 minutes to kill it. Beardies have a more simple respotory system than us so if you use ammonia you have to air it out till zero fumes.
High heat will kill it also (200ish) degrees, a steam wand can work but like ammonia it has to be in contact for a few minutes to kill it. Once you get the habitat sanitized use Karrieree's recommendations to keep it clean. ( the trick is to get the poop up before it comes in contact with anything else, remember Coccidia has to be reingested). So if you use a good disinfectant you basicly wipe it away before it can cause harm. Chlorhexidine can also be used, you can get it at tractor suppy in the horse section. It is a vet and zoo grade disinfectant also. I mix it 10:1 but it can be mixed stronger.

franklinsbiggestfan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Franklin
Get some F 10 or rescue or zoo med wipe out - disinfect everytime he poops- take out all but a few decor pieces that you can spray w/ that- I would get rid of the carpet and use paper towels for now-- what are you using for a uvb coil or long tube fixture-- what are your surface basking temps--and how are you taking them? No stick ons please
Okay thank you. I bought the zoo med cleaner a while ago and have been using that. I have a coil, still waiting on my long tube fixture to arrive, but she has a log under the coil that she will often spend time on. Her basking temperatures are around 105 degrees. I am taking them with a temperature gun. I had stick ons for a week and they were clearly giving incorrect temperatures.

franklinsbiggestfan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Franklin
Coccidia is extremely hard to kill, and part of its life cycle is to be pooped out and reingested. Most cleaners will not kill it including bleach. Ammonia will but it has drawbacks, 1 it's toxic, 2 it has to be in contact with the Coccidia for 10 to 15 minutes to kill it. Beardies have a more simple respotory system than us so if you use ammonia you have to air it out till zero fumes.
High heat will kill it also (200ish) degrees, a steam wand can work but like ammonia it has to be in contact for a few minutes to kill it. Once you get the habitat sanitized use Karrieree's recommendations to keep it clean. ( the trick is to get the poop up before it comes in contact with anything else, remember Coccidia has to be reingested). So if you use a good disinfectant you basicly wipe it away before it can cause harm. Chlorhexidine can also be used, you can get it at tractor suppy in the horse section. It is a vet and zoo grade disinfectant also. I mix it 10:1 but it can be mixed stronger.
This is very helpful thank you. I read online that I could boil decor pieces that the poop might have come in contact with. I'm not sure if that is actually helpful advice? She has pooped in her food bowl twice, each time I disinfected and boiled the bowl. Should I look into replacing it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
This is very helpful thank you. I read online that I could boil decor pieces that the poop might have come in contact with. I'm not sure if that is actually helpful advice? She has pooped in her food bowl twice, each time I disinfected and boiled the bowl. Should I look into replacing it?
I am sure the boiling did the trick --- invest in some F10 or Zoo Meds wipe out https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-wipe-out-terrarium-small/dp/124413

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Yes boiling works, give it 10 to 15 minutes in the hot water.
Something to watch out for though, the resin type decor will give off fumes for a little bit after heated, I've noticed with every one i got from petsmart, i would assume it would be the same regardless where you buy them. Just let them cool and sniff test before you put them back. The hard plastic stuff should be ok straight away.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom