Can you use fluorescent fixtures from walmart for the UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just curious because I am not in the position to spend $30 in Petco, Petsmart, etc. Would it still work the same? Thanks for your help.

Sita

Yes, you can use any fixture for the light. The only thing "special" about the ones at the pet store is that it has a hood to direct the light downward, but as long as you follow directions for how close the light needs to be, it doesn't really matter.

I actually recently used a cheap under counter mountable fixture from Walmart and rewired it to fit into a hooded aquarium light I had that stopped working. Was a PITA, but worked out great.

Sita

I can't find the specific one online, but it was a 24 inch under cabinet kitchen light, by all the bulbs and such. It was less than $15.

OhSleeper117

Original Poster
Can you use the bulbs included with the fixture, or do I use the specific uvb flourescent tubes from pet stores?

ju5t1n

Juvie Member
Yeah, they are super cheap at Walmart just make sure you take the plastic cover off of the fixture so nothing will block the UVB light.
Yes, Unless your Walmart has a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tubes (mine doesn't) you will want to get a UVB 10.0 from a pet store or online just make sure if it's a T-8 Fixture you get a T-8 Bulb or T-5 fixture get a T-5 Bulb with the same inches. I use a ZooMed Repti Sun 10.0 36" T-8.

-Justin

ju5t1n

Juvie Member
T-8 and T-5's are fluorescent tube sizes. It's like the diameter or where the sockets plug into the tubes. If you can't tell by looking at them (it's easy T-8's are a bigger diameter than the T-5's) It should say what type of fixtures they are on the box. The most common sizes are T-5s, T-8s and T-12s you want a T-5 or T-8.

-Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom