Can this baby be saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
I posted this on the breeding thread but afterwards thought it would get more views here. Here is my original post:

Sezja laid 25 eggs and I was down to two possibly viable in the incubator. One hatched but I see what looks like his stomach coming out of his belly. Do they have any kind of umilical cord that it could be? I know that sounds stupid, but this is a first hatchling for me so I have no idea what's normal and what isn't. If it is his stomach,is there anything I can do to save him? He shows no sign of pain or discomfort. He's running around like nothing is wrong. I have him in a 20 long tank with a basking light and paper towels. He runs and hides from the mist when I spray so I have been just wetting the paper towels well. Any advice or opinions welcome.

dragon.jpg

ReptileRy

did you notice this right when she hatched? or did it happen after a poo..? looks to me like a prolapse.. id bring her to a vet to see what they say. i know they can put it back in if it is a prolapse..

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Is in the middle of his stomach not at his vent. His tummy actually looks like it has a split but there's no bleeding at the site.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Id ask a vet about it but I do know hatchlings have an egg sac that they will absorb. I dont know to be honest but just thinking it may be unabsorbed egg sac..maybe someone else will know better than me since i have never bred them.

ReptileRy

oh! well that changes a lot..

"You need to get it booked in at the vets asap. They’ll be able to assess it, decide if it needs stitches or if some medication will clear it. Either way, it will need medication to stop infection. Until you can get it to the vets, try and keep the wound as clean as possible using clear warm water on some cotton wool. Just dab it, don’t rub. It may also be in your best interest to see if there’s anything in the viv that could have caused this wound and remove anything possible as you don’t want the same to happen again."
-winterborn

i found someone with the same problem and this is what someone else said about it.. good luck!

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! My neighbor works for a vet that sees reptiles so I am going to see what she thinks. He came out of the egg like that...hoping it is just an egg sac that will be absorbed.

From the looks of it that it part of the egg sack that should be absorbed. Most of the time its recommended to leave them in the incubator anywhere from 12-24 hours maybe even longer... 24 hours is the most recommended ive seen... and in the time they are left in the incubator the egg sack should be absorbed. Hope this helps, and if it turns out to not be the egg sack GL, and i hope he/she will be okay.

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! I really hope it is the egg sac. I feel terrible because I took him out too soon, but he was getting the vermiculate all over it. At least in the tank he has clean damp paper towels and a smooth rock. I guess we will just have see what he does. I only put the eggs in the incubator because there was a slim possibility that one of males got to her when there was miscommunication as to what dragons were having out of tank time. I didn't really expect any of them to be fertile much less hatch. Imagine my surprise this morning when I saw the little guy. I will post updates...hopefully it will be a happy ending.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does appear to be an egg sac that has not been absorbed. If it doesn't get absorbed soon, the vet can snip some of that off to help out so it doesn't get infected. His belly will need to close up soon.
Just keep everything clean & moist until it absorbs properly.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for easing my mind! I came home from work today and found the piece that had been hanging out on the floor of the tank. His belly is healing up so well that only a tiny mark shows where it was. I am so happy! Now I just have to get the little guy eating in a few days. I did offer a few tiny crickets today but he ignored them. I know you are supposed to wait but since he didn't absorb the whole egg sac I thought I would try. I will wait a few days and try again. Thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom