Can this baby be saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Sezja laid 25 eggs and I was down to two possibly viable in the incubator. One hatched but I see what looks like his stomach coming out of his belly. Do they have any kind of umilical cord that it could be? I know that sounds stupid, but this is a first hatchling for me so I have no idea what's normal and what isn't. If it is his stomach,is there anything I can do to save him? He shows no sign of pain or discomfort. He's running around like nothing is wrong. I have him in a 20 long tank with a basking light and paper towels. He runs and hides from the mist when I spray so I have been just wetting the paper towels well. Any advice or opinions welcome.

dragon.jpg

vampy

Juvie Member
That's his yolk sac, it'll fall off in a day or two, as said above. Do make sure all the paper towels you have in there are damp until it does though, because if it gets stuck to them and dries out he could tear it off and hurt himself. He'll be absorbing nutrients from it, so he probably won't show much interest in food for at least 2 days after it comes off.

Congrats on your new baby!

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It did indeed fall off. The problem now is getting him to show interest in feeders. I've been feeding him chicken baby food from a syringe all this time. I put him in a smaller bin with some crickets and he just ignores them

vampy

Juvie Member
I didn't notice the first post was so old when i replied!

Have you tried feeding him a couple of crickets at a time in his viv? Mine won't eat when i put them in another tub. Also, you could try phoenix worms, they are really wriggly and seem to get their attention very well.

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I haven't tried it in in his tank for awhile. I was afraid that the large space was the issue. I noticed he won't eat the baby food outside his tank so maybe I can try again.

vampy

Juvie Member
Are his temps high enough and does he have proper UVB? Is he pooping regularly? What substrate is he on? If you could give a run down of your set up and temps and feeding and supplement schedules, I (or someone more knowledgeable) might be able to give you some ideas of what else you could try with him.

It could just be that he has got lazy and now is so used to syringe feeding he can't be bothered hunting...I know sometimes beardies do get very spoiled and only eat when hand fed, but that tends to be adults, with babies the hunting instinct should be strong enough that he'll go for stuff.

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is in a 20 gallon long tank with paper towel substrate and a reptisun 10.0 uvb. The baking temp is 103-107.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom