can my 6 months old 15 inches beardy eat super worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtbone123

Juvie Member
hi everyone :) i just spoke to a breeder from dachiu.com name vickey she had told me that it is ok to feed my beardie large superworms at 6 months old and 15 inches so i just wanna know if this is true and wont cause any problems also if so can i feed them to him daily or do i have to feed them to him occasionally? thanks!
 

Denduran87

Juvie Member
ReptileGuardian":b10nqmnk said:
I highly recommend waiting until your beardie is at least 17 inches long, if not a little longer to feed supers.
woah does that go for any size supers? my guy is just over 12 and i ran out of crickets today and the nearest petshop was sold out of crickets so i bought small supers to feed to him. he loved them but now you got me worried.
 

ReptileGuardian

Hatchling Member
Denduran87":2qtdprga said:
ReptileGuardian":2qtdprga said:
I highly recommend waiting until your beardie is at least 17 inches long, if not a little longer to feed supers.
woah does that go for any size supers? my guy is just over 12 and i ran out of crickets today and the nearest petshop was sold out of crickets so i bought small supers to feed to him. he loved them but now you got me worried.

Well I was meaning the larger supers since that was the size originally mentioned lol. I've always been told by numerous people both on here and in real life that you shouldn't give large supers until they're about 17 inches long.
 

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've fed them to mine for the almost 17 years that I've owned beardies, there is no problem at that size. If it's the first time, just don't give TOO many at once. Even my 12-13" dragons eat the smaller superworms with no problem.
 

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":35k2z595 said:
I've fed them to mine for the almost 17 years that I've owned beardies, there is no problem at that size. If it's the first time, just don't give TOO many at once. Even my 12-13" dragons eat the smaller superworms with no problem.
oh ok thank yah!! :) i gave him 5 medium size superworms today so is that good for the first time? cuz he didnt want no more after he ate 5 of them he was full so they can be feed as staples right? cuz i really need a replacment for these crickets :lol:
 

PuffPuff11

Hatchling Member
You can feed them as a staple, they are one of the better insects, but also try to add variety when you have the opportunity. Puff loves superworms but I decided to breed roaches instead because they are easier to breed than superworms. He loves both!
 

Tomek

Juvie Member
My beardie is 7 mos. old and I feed it the "Small" superworms, she loves them !, I feed my 17" beardie the larger ones. The small supers are not large at all for his size.
 

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Denduran87":3tzym02o said:
ReptileGuardian":3tzym02o said:
I highly recommend waiting until your beardie is at least 17 inches long, if not a little longer to feed supers.
woah does that go for any size supers? my guy is just over 12 and i ran out of crickets today and the nearest petshop was sold out of crickets so i bought small supers to feed to him. he loved them but now you got me worried.

Supers are a great staple.. don't worry!! Just use the appropriate sized ones for the age/length of your beardie, and start off with only 5 or so at a time for the first couple weeks..
 

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Original Poster
lauraj1055":1m7c7icv said:
Denduran87":1m7c7icv said:
ReptileGuardian":1m7c7icv said:
I highly recommend waiting until your beardie is at least 17 inches long, if not a little longer to feed supers.
woah does that go for any size supers? my guy is just over 12 and i ran out of crickets today and the nearest petshop was sold out of crickets so i bought small supers to feed to him. he loved them but now you got me worried.

Supers are a great staple.. don't worry!! Just use the appropriate sized ones for the age/length of your beardie, and start off with only 5 or so at a time for the first couple weeks..
i have a question laura so the rule space between the eyes doesnt count for super worms? cuz im confused my beardie is 15 1/2 inches and the large super worms is longer than the space between his eyes even the medium ones so help me out on that please :)
 

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
@curtbone123

At 6 months old, I was still feeding my beardie the small and medium supers. I personally would not feed the large ones to a 6 month old.. the mediums are fine for them.
 

Jess

Extreme Poster
For worms, I apply the between-the-eyes rule to their thickness/fatness instead of how long they are. They don't have much shell compared to other bugs, so as long as you don't go overboard with them he shouldn't get impacted. I gave Wink his first superworms when he was 13", and he did fine with them.

A not on using supers as a staple though- Since they are more fattening and filling than other bugs, juvies shouldn't have more than 15 a day and adults should only hace 30-35 a week. I feed half supers and half crickets for variety, because Dudley gained a lot of weight and wouldn't eat veggies when I used them as a sole staple last year (Not that he is much better about his salads, but it's worth a shot...). So just make sure they don't become too picky and lazy LOL. :wink:
 

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Original Poster
lauraj1055":1a8si92w said:
@curtbone123

At 6 months old, I was still feeding my beardie the small and medium supers. I personally would not feed the large ones to a 6 month old.. the mediums are fine for them.
oh ok thanks! so how many medium supers did your 6 month old eat in one day including 1st, 2nd, and 3rd feeding?
 

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Jess4921":m1s173b2 said:
For worms, I apply the between-the-eyes rule to their thickness/fatness instead of how long they are. They don't have much shell compared to other bugs, so as long as you don't go overboard with them he shouldn't get impacted. I gave Wink his first superworms when he was 13", and he did fine with them.

A not on using supers as a staple though- Since they are more fattening and filling than other bugs, juvies shouldn't have more than 15 a day and adults should only hace 30-35 a week. I feed half supers and half crickets for variety, because Dudley gained a lot of weight and wouldn't eat veggies when I used them as a sole staple last year (Not that he is much better about his salads, but it's worth a shot...). So just make sure they don't become too picky and lazy LOL. :wink:
oh ok thanks how many supers did wink eat in one day when he was 15 inches and 6 months old?
 

Jess

Extreme Poster
He only ate 7 or 8. He had health problems that made him lose his appetite though, so he isn't a very good beardie to measure by.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk
Hi everyone, I have a question please. I have a thick branch I got from outside. It has been in freezing temperatures so I know that it is insect free. I took it off the ground and sat it up during a night we got down to 15 so the entire thing would freeze. Well tonight I put white vinegar all over it too cleanse it since it won't fit in my oven. Do I need to rinse with water tomorrow or is it fine left alone dried?

Forum statistics

Threads
155,753
Messages
1,254,262
Members
75,892
Latest member
ChristinaStS
Top Bottom