Can I use a chlorhexidine 2% solution to clean my beardie's teeth?

motherofalittledragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Grogu
My beardie's teeth have a buildup of brown and I want to try what I can at home before taking him to the vet (if it was urgent I definitely would). I'd like to try out chlorhexidine because that sounds like a good potential solution, but I'm so confused on which one to use. I'd rather not get one through the vet because it would definitely be unnecessarily overpriced. Would this option on Amazon work and be safe? Although one review says they used it for their beardie's teeth, it just says it's for horses and dogs.

Also, I keep hearing too that you need to dilute it, but saying that is so vague. How MUCH do I dilute it? And at what percent solution is right?

I'm going to try and contact my vet to see if I can get any advice without an appointment but any advice here would be wonderful.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My beardie's teeth have a buildup of brown and I want to try what I can at home before taking him to the vet (if it was urgent I definitely would). I'd like to try out chlorhexidine because that sounds like a good potential solution, but I'm so confused on which one to use. I'd rather not get one through the vet because it would definitely be unnecessarily overpriced. Would this option on Amazon work and be safe? Although one review says they used it for their beardie's teeth, it just says it's for horses and dogs.

Also, I keep hearing too that you need to dilute it, but saying that is so vague. How MUCH do I dilute it? And at what percent solution is right?

I'm going to try and contact my vet to see if I can get any advice without an appointment but any advice here would be wonderful.
I would not use that as I am not sure some others on here can help you but you can get some Maxi Guard to clean them -- @CooperDragon usually helps w/ gums and teeth issues --- if the vet says you can then do so but for now its better not to till you know for sure

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The chlorhexidine delutes 10:1 ratio. You can get it at tractor supply, it's 20 bucks for a gallon. I found it in the horse section

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Diluted chlorhexidine has been used as an oral antiseptic, but I probably wouldn't use it without guidance from a vet. The Maxiguard gel is probably a better/safer option to start out with and I've used it for cleaning teeth and gums at the advice of my vet.

motherofalittledragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Grogu
Thank you so much guys! I actually was able to call my vet today and was told that chlorhexidine 2% would be fine as long as I diluted it by half and used a tiny amount on the Q-tip. Maybe I'll check out Maxiguard though and just keep it as something to clean the tank with though from what you're saying.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, it is safe for oral use as an antiseptic. As the vet suggested, just be sure to dilute it down to a
safe solution. You can essentially dilute it to a 2 to 1 ratio. Two parts water & 1 part chlorhexidine.
Dipping a swab into that solution will be fine.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thank you so much guys! I actually was able to call my vet today and was told that chlorhexidine 2% would be fine as long as I diluted it by half and used a tiny amount on the Q-tip. Maybe I'll check out Maxiguard though and just keep it as something to clean the tank with though from what you're saying.
The Maxiguard is an oral cleanser, but it won't really work well to sanitize a tank. For that, I suggest picking up a veterinary disinfectant like F10 or Rescue.

motherofalittledragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Grogu
Thank you guys for the suggestions and information! I've been feeding him mealworms, superworms, and dubia roaches (primarily roaches now) since I got him, so he's already got that to help his teeth lol. I also realize I worded something confusingly, I meant to say I might use the chlorhexidine to clean his tank lol.

Asper

Beardie name(s)
Harry

My bearded dragon has stage 1 periodontal disease so I use this on her teeth 2 times a week (if she eats soft food I clean her teeth immediately after regardless of day).

Dilute it by half and monitor with a vet, it is safe to use orally and also good to use to help with shedding as well as any injuries !

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom