Can I put a 100w bulb inside 4x2x2?

Krissy_p

Beardie name(s)
John McClane
Good morning!

I’m currently in the process of setting up our new 4x2x2 Zen Habitat. I’m having some slight issues with temperature though. I currently have a 100w basking bulb on top of the mesh, a 60w CHE on top of the mesh (sitting close to the basking) and an Arcadia 12% HO mounted inside the tank diagonally overlapping the basking site.

Current temps: 80° warm side, 99° basking and 75° cool side. I tried using a 150 w bulb first, but that got the basking site WAY too hot (like 130°), so I put the 100w back in.

I’d really love to raise my temperatures on the warm side and the basking site by about 5°. I don’t want to raise the basking site any further, because that would get him too close to the UVB. Could I possibly mount the 100 W bulb inside? How far away does his basking site need to be from his basking bulb? Just trying to put the final touches on this and I would appreciate any insight.

FWIW, I finally got the humidity under control (put a dehumidifier next to the enclosure and put a small handheld fan over the cool side sucking air out).

Thanks!

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Good morning!

I’m currently in the process of setting up our new 4x2x2 Zen Habitat. I’m having some slight issues with temperature though. I currently have a 100w basking bulb on top of the mesh, a 60w CHE on top of the mesh (sitting close to the basking) and an Arcadia 12% HO mounted inside the tank diagonally overlapping the basking site.

Current temps: 80° warm side, 99° basking and 75° cool side. I tried using a 150 w bulb first, but that got the basking site WAY too hot (like 130°), so I put the 100w back in.

I’d really love to raise my temperatures on the warm side and the basking site by about 5°. I don’t want to raise the basking site any further, because that would get him too close to the UVB. Could I possibly mount the 100 W bulb inside? How far away does his basking site need to be from his basking bulb? Just trying to put the final touches on this and I would appreciate any insight.

FWIW, I finally got the humidity under control (put a dehumidifier next to the enclosure and put a small handheld fan over the cool side sucking air out).

Thanks!
Take away the CHE, that's for night and doesn't give real adequate heating that would really benefit them. It's just to keep them from freezing at night.

Try going back to the 150watt and get a light stand that allows you to raise the light. We did that and it dropped back down to 108 at the hottest point.

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
Take away the CHE, that's for night and doesn't give real adequate heating that would really benefit them. It's just to keep them from freezing at night.

Try going back to the 150watt and get a light stand that allows you to raise the light. We did that and it dropped back down to 108 at the hottest point.
We had to get a lightstand as well, and FINALLY, the basking spot is good. Highly recommend one as well...it takes some experimenting to get the height right (using a 150 watt bulb).

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom