Can I put 2 beardies together for a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend just brought her beardie today, and I'm assisting her with all she needs. But she wants to see my beardie tomorrow. I was wondering if it would be safe to put them together for a day in the same tank. My beardie is 5 months old, 14 1/2 inches, while hers is a few weeks old. Mine's a female, hers in undetermined. I looked under the tail and I do kinda see a bump or two, but can't tell for sure.
 

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
No experience w/ this w/ berries but I know if you but a baby leopard gecko in with a bigger on you run the risk of only having one gecko the next time you check (NOT personal experience). I'd guess it wouldn't be much different w/ a deardie.
 

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
No, not a good idea at all!!! Use a temporary extra house if you need to. It would be safer. This is many times how someone ends up with a tail or toe nip creating a life long deformity. Rubbermaid totes work great as a temporary :D
 

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
DoctorevoL":2p9bzaro said:
My friend just brought her beardie today, and I'm assisting her with all she needs. But she wants to see my beardie tomorrow. I was wondering if it would be safe to put them together for a day in the same tank. My beardie is 5 months old, 14 1/2 inches, while hers is a few weeks old. Mine's a female, hers in undetermined. I looked under the tail and I do kinda see a bump or two, but can't tell for sure.

No you cannot put them together for 5 minutes. Your chances of coming home to a dead beardie are quite high. It does not matter if they are the same sex or not, the possibility of death or disfigurement is way too high for you to take that risk.

Bearded dragons should never be kept together, and the size and age difference is going to give the older and larger dragon a huge advantage and the smaller dragon will have absolutely no chance to defend itself. I can't even imagine how horrified I would be if I came home to a bloody mess.

There are too many stories of dragons attacking and killing each other in a matter of minutes.
 

DoctorevoL

Member
Original Poster
Alright, thanks for the replies. I won't even bother to bring mine over. Also, how long can a baby beardie survive without uvb? She doesn't have one for hers (and I told her not to buy a beardie until she has all she needs, but she persisted). My beardie was without a uvb lamp for a few days, and I took it out from time to time for natural sunlight, maybe adding all in one day to 2 hours. Now her bearded dragon is obviously smaller. It's still a baby, few weeks old. How long can those survive without a uvb light?
 

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
ASAP that baby is doing alot of growing and needs the uvb for her bones to develop properly. In the mean time take her outside everyday for an hour the sunlight is more powerful than and uvb bulb.
 

DoctorevoL

Member
Original Poster
That's what I told her to do because I did it with my beardie. She's getting her uvb next friday because she doesn't have enough money to buy yet. Thanks for the replies all. And yes, I won't be bringing my beardie there.. Nails are waaay too sharp, may cut into the little one.
 

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
DoctorevoL":ab4dfj72 said:
Alright, thanks for the replies. I won't even bother to bring mine over. Also, how long can a baby beardie survive without uvb? She doesn't have one for hers (and I told her not to buy a beardie until she has all she needs, but she persisted). My beardie was without a uvb lamp for a few days, and I took it out from time to time for natural sunlight, maybe adding all in one day to 2 hours. Now her bearded dragon is obviously smaller. It's still a baby, few weeks old. How long can those survive without a uvb light?

Wow she sounds pretty irresponsible. Babies are growing every single day, and if they are not getting proper calcium and exposure to UVB, then they will develop a spinal deformity, most likely a lump or hump in their backs between their shoulders and neck.

Every day she doesn't have UVB, she's at risk for deformities. Pretty alarming that your friend has this attitude of not wanting to do things properly.
 

DoctorevoL

Member
Original Poster
ShannyBeard":3m2hn30g said:
Wow she sounds pretty irresponsible. Babies are growing every single day, and if they are not getting proper calcium and exposure to UVB, then they will develop a spinal deformity, most likely a lump or hump in their backs between their shoulders and neck.

Every day she doesn't have UVB, she's at risk for deformities. Pretty alarming that your friend has this attitude of not wanting to do things properly.

Tell me about it. I ordered the Reptisun 10.0 and Hood for her beardie today, so it should be coming either Tuesday or Wednesday. Told her in the mean time to take it outside.
 

RockHound

Hatchling Member
Wow, you're a really good friend to do all that for her. I hope learning responsibility for her won't end up costing neglect in her pets. You two should certainly have "play dates" with your beardies haha. You can do it safely without actually letting them have contact, providing the interaction isnt too stressful for either. Perhaps when they are closer to the same size. I know I wish I had friends who like reptiles! Poor Sierra hasn't seen another dragon since I got her. >_<
 

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
Trust me Sierra is happier that way. Bearded dragons do not form friendships. My male goes crazy if he anytime he sees my baby.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
156,295
Messages
1,259,822
Members
76,166
Latest member
bw341606
Top Bottom