Can I feed my beardie Fishing Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

olliesmom77

I am out of crickets and my shipment should be here no later than tomorrow, can I temporarily feed my beardie fishing crickets until tomorrow?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
The box that my crickets arrive in says "Fishing Bait" and it also says "Pet Food". As long as they are the soft-shelled variety (not the black crix), then it shouldn't be a problem. The thing you should be the most concerned about is the parasite risk.

patrickb

Juvie Member
The parasite risk is the biggest concern indeed. I suspect most bait shops purchase their crickets from a lot of the same farms that we in the hobby purchase feeders from. They are probably raised the same way, but the differences in how they are stored are going to become a problem. Baitshops could care less about the health in theory so parasite or diseases would spread much easier.

You could feed em, but it is a risk. If you can inspect the cricket bin where you buy them from, check for dead bodies, old/rotten food etc... If you see any of that, I would skip feeding until your shipment comes in tomorrow. If your beardie is healthy, missing one day's feeding won't hurt it. Just offer plenty of greens for it to nibble on.

olliesmom77

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! Only thing is, I can't get him to eat greens....he is a little guy and I bought a whopper-chopper and carrots, greens, little tupperware bowls with lids......
No luck. He won't touch the stuff.

patrickb

Juvie Member
Well, though skipping a feeding isn't really a great option, its a matter of which is the "lesser of the two evils" Missing one feeding with a healthy beardie won't be detrimental and I would personally rather do that then potentially cause a parasite problem. Just offer the veggies anyways and if he gets hungry enough, he will eat them. Another option would be to try some chicken baby food or another flavor that is fairly high in protein. Offer it on a spoon and gently rub his lips with it. He might like it! ;)

DISCLAIMER: I just want to reiterate, it isn't a good thing to do and I don't want anyone to think that they should do this often if they can't order or get their order in time for the next feeding. Situations do arise sometimes and fortunately reptiles are resilient enough when healthy that missing one feeding won't kill them.

olliesmom77

Original Poster
Ha! Ha! Yeah, I don't think it'll kill him, going without until tomorrow....just feel real bad about it. My mother went hog wild with the crickets yesterday. I had it timed out with my order.....the best laid plans never work. I read somewhere that the baby food was bad for them....? Don't want a lizard with pancreatitis!!

patrickb

Juvie Member
No, baby food is used very often in rehabbing ill animals. Maybe certain flavors are bad for them, but seems like a mixture of squash and chicken is very readily favored for beardies that are not eating well. Baby food is loaded with nutrition and works quite well. Feeling bad about missing a days worth of feeding is a good thing! They want their food too. heh Fun to hear that Mom is so enthusiastic about feeding the lizard! lol Made my day there.

olliesmom77

Original Poster
Well, she tried to feed him a chopped up mush of carrots and greens. Rubbed a little on the end of his nose with her finger. He took two licks of it and shook his head "NO". I don't want to try to feed him too many different things....wonder if beardies are like felines and get finicky if you change it up too much? You don't know what I've gone through with Oliver J. Tolliver (that's his name). #1 Some neurological problem that made him like stevie wonder the fifth day. Went to vet....got it fixed....whew! #2 Three days later, come home to a 40 degree house. Fuse blew and Ollie's lights are off and he is about frozen. Had no idea how long he'd been there. Got new fuse....Ollie perked up...whew! #3 The VERY next day (Tuesday), I get home around 2:30 and no electricity...change the trust fuse, no luck. Call the Electric Co. to find out there is a blackout on my street....WHAT? I informed the operator that "I have a freakin lizard that's gonna DIE if you don't get my power back on!" She wasn't moved by my sincerity. Rush Ollie, tank and crickets to my mother's house. Plug it all in get 'er going...Ollie perks back up. Whew! again. Then today came when my mother informed me that she had fed him all of the crickets in the container...."it was so interesting watching him.....he's so cute....blah blah". I think the lizard Gods are trying to kill Oliver but I haven't the slightest idea why........ :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom