Can Female Dubias breed even if they are not fully grown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smaug3601

Can female Dubia roach breed even if they are not fully grown but close to being full grown?

I got the dubias for my colony.
I said I wanted full grown males and females so
They gave me full grown males, but all the females are still not fully grown. Can they still breed?

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
You sure they aren't fully grown? Females never have wings.
I don't know about your original question for sure, but I'm pretty sure they can't.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
yeah, I mispoke there.
Anyways, I looked into it in several different places, and it appears that they mate once they become adult, and that they start mating 5+ days after they become adults.

Smaug3601

Original Poster
ok thanks :)
was just asking cause I have adults but I also have females that are still not adult but they are big almost close to become one, and I thought they could also breed like that.

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
Many dubia suppliers do that (send subadult females) to ensure you get the longest possible breed time from your females, and to avoid any suspicion that they sent you their retired breeders.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Smaug3601":2n9e55lp said:
ok, but can they still breed?
No, the nymph stage is not sexually mature and cannot breed. Once they molt into the mature adults they can breed. They can be different sizes and look a little different once adult, I've noticed younger adult females are smaller and not as long as older ones.

I was wondering the same thing because I have some large nymphs in a container waiting to be mature and go in the breeder tank but I keep getting babies in there (I'm not complaining though lol) A lot of them are very large but have the dull exoskeleton so I thought they weren't mature yet. I don't have them with mature males but the breeder I got them from had them all together so they did spend time with mature males. I have only been breeding for 5 months so I have no idea though lol guess only thing you can do is play the waiting game!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom