Can Eggs Be Exposed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can beardie eggs be exposed to light after the first 24 hours? i heard that after that amount of time if light is shown on the eggs the embryo will be in shock of the sudden change in brightness and possibly disconnect itself from the yolk and end up killing itself. Is that true?

sweeteagurl2008

Original Poster
hmmm...perhaps I heard that back when I was trying to breed Leopard Geckos? So to make sure I have this right, the eggs are not sensitive to light then?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Like West Coast said, they will be fine. I've always checked mine, and in order to candle them [ which many people do ] you even shine a penlight right up to them.

sweeteagurl2008

Original Poster
Thank you both for your help. I gotta get me a pen light now. So I should mark them then, correct? So I hold them at the correct angle as what they are at right now, and to make sure I set them down in the proper placement. I've seen both just straight lines and ones that look like a cross.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your'e welcome...I never mark mine....I just make an indentation in the vermiculite with a finger and place them in about half way, with the top half of the egg exposed. When I candle them, I don't even take them out of their place because enough of the egg is exposed above the vermiculite.

sweeteagurl2008

Original Poster
Yeah mine are halfway in the vermiculite as well. I finally got to actually SEE the eggs. Hahaha, I feel so dumb now that I found out for the past two years I have left the eggs in complete darkness as to not kill the embryos. So you just hold the pen light at a 90 degree angle then for when you candle the eggs?

sweeteagurl2008

Original Poster
I'm still just so nervous about allowing light to shine on them lol. I'll post pictures of them now. About 5 eggs look like goners, but the remaining ones are twice the size of what they were when she laid them. One is HUGE compaired to the others and they are large in my opinion anyways. I'm so excited to get a chance to candle them.

sweeteagurl2008

Original Poster
OH DEAR LORD!! I just candled my eggs but then found this posting on one of the forums...verifying my fears...and I just exposed my eggs to light!!

beardedwizard":mpcn9jjg said:
Re: I am so sad...

I'm sorry for your loss, but dragon eggs become fragile after the first 7-10 days... Candling is only used the first couple of days to verify the eggs are fertile, once you identify they have the veins and embryonic sac you don't candle again... Somewhere between day 3 and day 7 the embryo attaches it's self to the egg wall and a membrane is created for air passage, if you candle anytime after this point the bright light can frighten the embryo and yoke sac tearing is possible. This will result in the death of the embryo, but I just wanted to remind everyone that candling is not necessary provided you can see the red/pink dot on the eggs surface. I've yet to have to candle any of my eggs, but remember don't candle after the 3 day mark and you will be good to go!

sweeteagurl2008

Original Poster
OH FLIPPIN GREAT!! IM PRETTY SURE I JUST KILLED MY EGGS!! I just candled them after writing multiple posts asking for others' help. I got two responses saying it was ok if the eggs were exposed to light. My original thought was that if you expose them to light after the first 24 hours the embryos may be in shock and disconnect themselves from the yolk and cause them to die. I recieved two responses saying this wasn't true. I was excited to actually get a chance to see my eggs, rather then cracking open the incubator a tiny bit and peeping through. So I tried candling them with a flashlight but placed some cardboard over the light that had a small hole punched in it to keep the light to a minimum like a pen light. I only held it over each egg for a moment or two. But then to my horror i found this posting on one of the forums...verifying my fears...and I just exposed my eggs to light!!

beardedwizard":754ywxyc said:
Re: I am so sad...

I'm sorry for your loss, but dragon eggs become fragile after the first 7-10 days... Candling is only used the first couple of days to verify the eggs are fertile, once you identify they have the veins and embryonic sac you don't candle again... Somewhere between day 3 and day 7 the embryo attaches it's self to the egg wall and a membrane is created for air passage, if you candle anytime after this point the bright light can frighten the embryo and yoke sac tearing is possible. This will result in the death of the embryo, but I just wanted to remind everyone that candling is not necessary provided you can see the red/pink dot on the eggs surface. I've yet to have to candle any of my eggs, but remember don't candle after the 3 day mark and you will be good to go!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Rest assured you did not kill them. It's flipping them around that can kill, also getting water directly on them. Exposure to light doesn't kill them, otherwise My eggs have all hatched in the last 15 years despite it.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
AHBD":27uags59 said:
Rest assured you did not kill them. It's flipping them around that can kill, also getting water directly on them. Exposure to light doesn't kill them, otherwise My eggs have all hatched in the last 15 years despite it.
i agree once the yolks have become attached to the wall then flipping them around will kill them. at that point in their life they cant see or sense light so i wouldnt worry about your eggs as long as you didnt flip them upside down then you should be fine

sweeteagurl2008

Original Poster
Oh thank god!!! Thank you for your answers. Yeah I didn't even pick them up. I just rested the light by the eggs while they were still in their vermiculite. No movement was made. Thank you so much for the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom