can beardies smell/sense each other?

reytamminen

Original Poster
hi, im currently babysitting my friends beardie and chompy is having some… issues. they can’t see each other however their tanks are in the same room. chompys been head bobbin and black bearding and basically just going ballistic in his tank. i got the other one last night. phoenix (my friend’s) doesn’t really give a **** about chompy or he simply doesn’t know he’s there. phoenix is 9 turning 10. chompy is a year and a half and a crazy lil man and is also a lot bigger and more dominant than phoenix. do you think it’ll get better as time goes (it’s been less than a day) or should i just suck it up and move phoenixs tank sooner than later?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They have very good eye sight, hearing, and smell. If Chompy even saw him for a split second you can bet he is well aware he is still there. Males are territorial with each other. They might get used to being in the same room but they will probably always put on displays. I wouldn't ever have them out at the same time. If you do be ready to intervene as they will likely fight.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
we are babysitting right now, too. we're keeping them in separate rooms and making sure they never even see each other, let alone have them out at the same time. but i bet they can smell each other. knowing relocation stress would be a thing for lizzy, we decided why add more stress than is already going on. especially since both he and sir henry are shedding cranky butts on top of it all!

reytamminen

Original Poster
we are babysitting right now, too. we're keeping them in separate rooms and making sure they never even see each other, let alone have them out at the same time. but i bet they can smell each other. knowing relocation stress would be a thing for lizzy, we decided why add more stress than is already going on. especially since both he and sir henry are shedding cranky butts on top of it all!
yeah i wish i could keep phoeniz in another room but the problem is we have cats and i wouldn’t be able to watch him while i slept and i wouldn’t want to stress him out more

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
oh cats would definitely make more stress! i guess ya do the best you can then with them in the same room and try not to let them see each other. how long are you babysitting for? we are for 2 weeks, but there are only a couple days left of that. lizzy gets picked up on saturday.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I love cats, but i would be terrified to have one in my house with my beardies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom