Can Bearded Dragons Brumate without a temperature drop??

Asher3105

my 8-9 months bearded dragon seems to be showing the normal signs for brumation, but with no temperature drop? I have just been taking care for him as normal with out even thinking about brumation because its not getting colder. If anything it should be getting warmer, so I'm a little worried. he acts pretty normal, just slower and he definitely is eating less and hiding often, normal signs of brumation, but I'm just confused because it hasn't gotten colder.

thank you for your time!

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
my 8-9 months bearded dragon seems to be showing the normal signs for brumation, but with no temperature drop? I have just been taking care for him as normal with out even thinking about brumation because its not getting colder. If anything it should be getting warmer, so I'm a little worried. he acts pretty normal, just slower and he definitely is eating less and hiding often, normal signs of brumation, but I'm just confused because it hasn't gotten colder.

thank you for your time!
I don't think dragons in captivity necessarily depend on temperature change for cues to brumate. For dragons in captivity it can happen at any time of year, some will brumate some years and not others, and some will brumate every year during the Australian winter no matter where they are in the world. That's a tad younger than they normally start, but only by a month or two so its possible. I would want to rule other things out first though.

What size enclosure, temps and lighting? Too cool and they can't digest properly so will stop eating. Inadequate UVB and they can't synthesize D3 to absorb calcium and will stop eating. Too hot or bright or colored bulbs and they might hide to get away from it. These are the common things that might cause symptoms similar to brumation if they are not correct but can be very serious.

Asher3105

Original Poster
I don't think dragons in captivity necessarily depend on temperature change for cues to brumate. For dragons in captivity it can happen at any time of year, some will brumate some years and not others, and some will brumate every year during the Australian winter no matter where they are in the world. That's a tad younger than they normally start, but only by a month or two so its possible. I would want to rule other things out first though.

What size enclosure, temps and lighting? Too cool and they can't digest properly so will stop eating. Inadequate UVB and they can't synthesize D3 to absorb calcium and will stop eating. Too hot or bright or colored bulbs and they might hide to get away from it. These are the common things that might cause symptoms similar to brumation if they are not correct but can be very serious.
hey! thank you so much for your reply and sorry for not replying sooner! he is in a forty gallon breeder, his cool side being around 72 degrees and his hot side reaching max 103-105 at the highest point. he has a t8 10.00 reptisun, inside the tank (I already corrected that once). he doesn't have any colored bulbs and around at 14 hour day cycle it's a little long but its the only way I'm able to feed him before school and after school while giving him proper time to digest.
What's mostly strange that I didn't really mentioned above his he goes in and out, yesterday he had great energy and huge apetite and today he's completely the opposite. he is also a healthy weight last i checked, but i will check again very soon. one thing i can also think of is he has been eating mostly crickets and meal worms for awhile now, since i couldn't afford dubias for awhile, but i am again now and will definitely be ordering them, and then finally he has stopped shedding for about a month. but people here have said that's normal for his age.

sorry for kinda going on a rant, its a lot of information, but thank you for your time and reply!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
hey! thank you so much for your reply and sorry for not replying sooner! he is in a forty gallon breeder, his cool side being around 72 degrees and his hot side reaching max 103-105 at the highest point. he has a t8 10.00 reptisun, inside the tank (I already corrected that once). he doesn't have any colored bulbs and around at 14 hour day cycle it's a little long but its the only way I'm able to feed him before school and after school while giving him proper time to digest.
What's mostly strange that I didn't really mentioned above his he goes in and out, yesterday he had great energy and huge apetite and today he's completely the opposite. he is also a healthy weight last i checked, but i will check again very soon. one thing i can also think of is he has been eating mostly crickets and meal worms for awhile now, since i couldn't afford dubias for awhile, but i am again now and will definitely be ordering them, and then finally he has stopped shedding for about a month. but people here have said that's normal for his age.

sorry for kinda going on a rant, its a lot of information, but thank you for your time and reply!
How old is the T 8 and is there a cover over the fixture-- basking distance needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor

Asher3105

Original Poster
How old is the T 8 and is there a cover over the fixture-- basking distance needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor
Hello! The T8 is in the enclosure with no covering, and I have it down on my calendar to need to be replaced in July, which will be 6 months after It been being used. It is also the proper distance away, and covers the 2/3rds of the enclosure as recommended.

thanks for your reply!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello! The T8 is in the enclosure with no covering, and I have it down on my calendar to need to be replaced in July, which will be 6 months after It been being used. It is also the proper distance away, and covers the 2/3rds of the enclosure as recommended.

thanks for your reply!
I recommend you change it out in June-- temp drops can simulate brumation -- shedding can effect appetite - he may be going thru a slow period - if hes in and out of his hide and active I wouldnt worry about him and eating as well - its when they stop eating all together and losing weight is not good

Asher3105

Original Poster
I recommend you change it out in June-- temp drops can simulate brumation -- shedding can effect appetite - he may be going thru a slow period - if hes in and out of his hide and active I wouldnt worry about him and eating as well - its when they stop eating all together and losing weight is not good
yeah, I haven't been super worried since he is still acting okay, like no real serious signs, just weird lazy days. but I just mostly leave him be unless something changes.

thanks for your reply!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think most of the time, brumation phases depend on the length of the daytime hour as well as the
placement & direction of the sun. They can brumate no matter the temperatures are they may
brumate. As Karrie had suggested, temperature drops or lower overall temperatures can definitely
prompt brumation or in the very least slown down behavior.

Tracie

Asher3105

Original Poster
Hello,

I think most of the time, brumation phases depend on the length of the daytime hour as well as the
placement & direction of the sun. They can brumate no matter the temperatures are they may
brumate. As Karrie had suggested, temperature drops or lower overall temperatures can definitely
prompt brumation or in the very least slown down behavior.

Tracie
Gotcha, since in the last few days he's been really admit about sleeping i think I'm going to turn out his lights. I did a weight check and he has gained rather then lost, so i think there is no harm in letting him do his thing. although, i will likely make another post about this, he hasn't pooped for about a week, be he also hasn't eaten like anything, but should i have him poop before i turn out his lights or is it okay? I've heard people warn about bearded dragons burmating on a full stomach...

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom