Can basking bulbs be placed inside an enclosure? The box says not to?

MaxStone

Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Hey, so I've seen tons of enclosures online with basking bulbs inside so I didn't think there was an issue. Then I looked at the box for the hood dome I recently bought and it says in fine print NOT to put inside. My preference is to put inside if it's safe to keep the enclosure looking nice and keep the heat up (it's on the low side now since some of the heat gets absorbed by the metal grill of the enclosure). Is this safe to do? Can i add a cage to the light to make it safe or should it not be placed inside at all?

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey, so I've seen tons of enclosures online with basking bulbs inside so I didn't think there was an issue. Then I looked at the box for the hood I recently bought and it says in fine print NOT to put inside. My preference is to put inside if it's safe to keep the enclosure looking nice and keep the heat up (it's on the low side now since some of the heat gets absorbed by the metal grill of the enclosure). Is this safe to do? Can i add a cage to the light to make it safe or should it not be placed inside at all?
You say hood - you want a dome w/ reflective inside- basking bulbs can go inside but need a distance of no closer than 6"-- what is the brand and bulb wattage? And yes you can use a cage for the bulb

MaxStone

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
The dome is a Fluker's 10" deluxe clamp lamp and the bulb is a 150 watt Fluker's Basking Spotlight Bulb. The enclosure is a dubiaroaches.com 4x2x2 enclosure.

MaxStone

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
What brand of bulb do you have to use for this and is it a T5 or T8?
I believe i was mistaken in my terminology. i meant dome, not hood. the dome is a 10" fluker clamp lamp and the bulb is a 150w fluker basking bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The dome is a Fluker's 10" deluxe clamp lamp and the bulb is a 150 watt Fluker's Basking Spotlight Bulb. The enclosure is a dubiaroaches.com 4x2x2 enclosure.
Ok you can put the bulb in the tank-- I have mine on top of the screen - and I also use two different domes on the hot side - one 150 flukers and one 75 watt flukers- one 75 watt in the middle of the tank and the uvb- inside the tank front middle- your tank has a screen correct?

MaxStone

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Ok you can put the bulb in the tank-- I have mine on top of the screen - and I also use two different domes on the hot side - one 150 flukers and one 75 watt flukers- one 75 watt in the middle of the tank and the uvb- inside the tank front middle- your tank has a screen correct?
yes, my enclosure has a metal screen on top and just to make sure i'm understanding correctly: your 75w and 150w are both sitting on top of the screen?

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The biggest issue placing it inside is your beardie getting burned if it comes in contact. As long as you don't overheat or let your beardie touch the bulb or fixture it should be fine.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes, my enclosure has a metal screen on top and just to make sure i'm understanding correctly: your 75w and 150w are both sitting on top of the screen?
Yes all my basking bulbs are on top of screen ---- the only one inside is the UVB pic attached

Attachments

• New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 108

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The primary concern is safety if they aren't able to come into contact with the heat/basking
bulb & that is it within safe distances. A lot of people put the light in one of those wire cages
that encircles the bulb for safety.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom