Can anyone help? Really worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie with BD

Original Poster
Hi everyone I’m new here and I’m finding out I don’t know as much as I should have before I got my wee guy or girl Ash.
I’ve had him for around 4 weeks. When I first got him his underbelly was white. He looked active enough, tail good but after a few days he got stress marks on his belly, wouldn’t eat more that one locust a day and a couple of strong rocket leaves. I’ve had to drip water on his nose. He keeps hiding at the hot end of the tank and sleeps most of the time. He’s starting to calm down when I hold him but I’m really worried. I’ve checked temperatures, everything seems fine. He’s pooping. I don’t understand why he’s like this. He’s eating is getting worse. I’ve never seen him eat or drink from his bowls. Can anyone help please? I meant to say I’m a very busy mum of another pet and 2 autistic kids and may not get back to you right away. Apologies in advance. Thanks for any advice. I will post a pic of the tank and Ash asap.

Solution
Hi everyone I’m new here and I’m finding out I don’t know as much as I should have before I got my wee guy or girl Ash.
I’ve had him for around 4 weeks. When I first got him his underbelly was white. He looked active enough, tail good but after a few days he got stress marks on his belly, wouldn’t eat more that one locust a day and a couple of strong rocket leaves. I’ve had to drip water on his nose. He keeps hiding at the hot end of the tank and sleeps most of the time. He’s starting to calm down when I hold him but I’m really worried. I’ve checked temperatures, everything seems fine. He’s pooping. I don’t understand why he’s like this. He’s eating is getting worse. I’ve never seen him eat or drink from his bowls. Can anyone help...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you for your reply. I’m using a tube fixture for the UVB light. I’ve put the digital thermometers and thermostat under the substate not the surface. I’m going to change this now. Maybe I’m not getting the right readings as there are air vents on the tank. It’s a wooden Vivarium too. Thank you.
What uvb brand and bulb please look on the bulb itself it will tell you look for T 5 or T 8- you want the probe on the spot where he sits for basking wait 10 min or so then get the temp - the other probe place on the cool side side of tank it will give you ambient temp 80's during the day

Newbie with BD

Original Poster
What uvb brand and bulb please look on the bulb itself it will tell you look for T 5 or T 8- you want the probe on the spot where he sits for basking wait 10 min or so then get the temp - the other probe place on the cool side side of tank it will give you ambient temp 80's during the day
Hi it’s an Arcadia 39w pro T5 UBV kit 12% UVB lamp. Yes looks like tin foil either side. Than you for your help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi again, sorry I didn't get back to you. I didn't get any notifications on these replies. Your set up looks great, lots of stuff for climbing which beardies enjoy and you also have a good uvb tube. :) I agree that the flooring should be changed as Karrie mentioned and some foil will help increase the uvb output. A taller basking log would be good or else if you can get a couple of rocks from outside you can prop up some of the smaller sticks. [ You can clean outdoor rocks with hot soapy water and vinegar, then rinse well with plain hot water ] He will soon outgrow those branches though, so a bigger log at some point.

If your hot end only gets to 33 C you'll need more heat, get it around 40 C .

He looks good though, has he eaten anymore insects ? I hope your family + pets are doing well. :)

Newbie with BD

Original Poster
Hi again, sorry I didn't get back to you. I didn't get any notifications on these replies. Your set up looks great, lots of stuff for climbing which beardies enjoy and you also have a good uvb tube. :) I agree that the flooring should be changed as Karrie mentioned and some foil will help increase the uvb output. A taller basking log would be good or else if you can get a couple of rocks from outside you can prop up some of the smaller sticks. He will soon outgrow those though, so a bigger log at some point.

If your hot end only gets to 33 C you'll need more heat, get it around 40 C .

He looks good though, has he eaten anymore insects ? I hope your family + pets are doing well. :)
Hi yes I noticed I had also put the thermostat and temperature probes under the substrate too. I’m getting a better temperature for him now and it’s more balanced out. I will get him a bigger basking rock tomorrow. He’s not been eating anymore than 2-3 insects twice a day. I’m trying to get him to drink. I’ve never seen him drink. I just put water on his nose a lot and give him baths but I’m sure he’s dehydrated. He was slumped over the basking rock earlier. I think I’m going to take him to a reptile vet. I’ve only found one so far within 10 miles. He keeps peeking up then he’s back down again. He’s ate one leaf with me dangling it in front of him but he keeps turning away. Thank you for your help.

Newbie with BD

Original Poster
Hi yes I noticed I had also put the thermostat and temperature probes under the substrate too. I’m getting a better temperature for him now and it’s more balanced out. I will get him a bigger basking rock tomorrow. He’s not been eating anymore than 2-3 insects twice a day. I’m trying to get him to drink. I’ve never seen him drink. I just put water on his nose a lot and give him baths but I’m sure he’s dehydrated. He was slumped over the basking rock earlier. I think I’m going to take him to a reptile vet. I’ve only found one so far within 10 miles. He keeps peeking up then he’s back down again. He’s ate one leaf with me dangling it in front of him but he keeps turning away. Thank you for your help.
Sorry perking up 🙃

Newbie with BD

Original Poster
What type and what size are the insects ? Is he pooping still ? If insects are too large they can cause impaction. Sorry to hear that the little guy is not doing well.
It’s locusts they are the small ones. I did feed them and they were slightly bigger but he ate them no problem but not now. But I did give him mealworms when I picked him up as the shop recommended them. After I had gave him them he didn’t seem right. I didn’t know they were bad for him. I don’t give him them now. I found a good place on the internet for dubies sorry maybe spelt wrong) and silkworms. But not sure whether to order. I also have a good pet shop near where I live that’s getting fresh locusts tomorrow. Im just wondering if he’s ate substrate while getting his insects at that time as I have since found out that can also impact him. This was also recommended by pet shop. Anything to make money. His poop seemed a bit dark but he’s going upto twice a day. I honestly don’t understand how he’s pooping while barely eating. I’ve checked for worms in his poop. Thank you.

Newbie with BD

Original Poster
It’s locusts they are the small ones. I did feed them and they were slightly bigger but he ate them no problem but not now. But I did give him mealworms when I picked him up as the shop recommended them. After I had gave him them he didn’t seem right. I didn’t know they were bad for him. I don’t give him them now. I found a good place on the internet for dubies sorry maybe spelt wrong) and silkworms. But not sure whether to order. I also have a good pet shop near where I live that’s getting fresh locusts tomorrow. Im just wondering if he’s ate substrate while getting his insects at that time as I have since found out that can also impact him. This was also recommended by pet shop. Anything to make money. His poop seemed a bit dark but he’s going upto twice a day. I honestly don’t understand how he’s pooping while barely eating. I’ve checked for worms in his poop. Thank you.
I’m dusting his insects with calcium too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Dubias will be good. I hope he's not impacted but of he's pooing 2 X a day he should not be. Maybe the temps. being cool and the uvb a bit far is causing him to be sluggish. It could be something else though.

Newbie with BD

Original Poster
I’m dusting his insects with calcium too.
Hi thought I’d mention I’ve heard him make this weird noise not hissing, it’s hard to describe as I’ve seen his body look like it’s hiccuping. The pet shop next to myself think he may be trying to be sick and could have a parasite. Can you help with this. He started doing it a couple of weeks ago. I looked at every YouTube video going to see if I could pin point it but nothing. Thank you for any advice.

Newbie with BD

Original Poster
Dubias will be good. I hope he's not impacted but of he's pooing 2 X a day he should not be. Maybe the temps. being cool and the uvb a bit far is causing him to be sluggish. It could be something else though.
I’ve sent you a message about hiccups just there. I’m hoping it’s because I’ve messed up the temperatures as I don’t want him suffering. Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It is possibly an R.I., cooler temps. may have caused it but hopefully he'll get over it with warmer temps now. If he's lethargic and continues the little coughing he may need some antibiotics though. Can you post video of him doing it ? If you can't it's O.K., I'm pretty sure what it is because people post here often enough with this problem.

Newbie with BD

Original Poster
It is possibly an R.I., cooler temps. may have caused it but hopefully he'll get over it with warmer temps now. If he's lethargic and continues the little coughing he may need some antibiotics though. Can you post video of him doing it ? If you can't it's O.K., I'm pretty sure what it is because people post here often enough with this problem.
Hi I’ve only heard him make the noise about 6 times. It’s too fast to video. It’s not constant either. I will see how he goes with a new basking rock or log and hopefully him and his appetite picks up. If not the vet it is just incase he needs an antibiotic. Thank you for all your help. I will update thread later in the week.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The tank looks really nice. I agree, did you add the foil to your UVB light fixture?
It is hard to determine based on the pictures but your tube bulb fixture, is it mounted on the back wall?
What is the distance from the T5 tube to him?

Tracie

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
I’ve had him for around 4 weeks. When I first got him his underbelly was white. He looked active enough, tail good but after a few days he got stress marks on his belly, wouldn’t eat more that one locust a day and a couple of strong rocket leaves. I’ve had to drip water on his nose. He keeps hiding at the hot end of the tank and sleeps most of the time. He’s starting to calm down when I hold him but I’m really worried. I’ve checked temperatures, everything seems fine. He’s pooping. I don’t understand why he’s like this. He’s eating is getting worse. I’ve never seen him eat or drink from his bowls. Can anyone help please? I meant to say I’m a very busy mum of another pet and 2 autistic kids and may not get back to you right away. Apologies in advance. Thanks for any advice. I will post a pic of the tank and Ash asap.
It could be because he is shedding i got a new bearded dragon about a week ago and the exact things happened and he didn’t eat for couple of days that’s eat but every bearded dragon is different ur bearded dragon could have stoped eating much because of shedding and stressing Bec of that thag can happen to most bearded dragons through shedding as it can be a stressful time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom