Can a 6 month old beardie have eggs?

Pumpkingirl

I’ve looked it up a bunch.. it says 18 month minimum.. idk why I have a strong feeling it could be. My beardie is acting normal in every way.. but the last week and a half she’s scaled down quite a bit on bugs (still runs for hornworms). She’s been getting Dubias since she was born and now suddenly couldn’t care less. She’ll still eat a few but I have to be patient and coax her. She used to eat them twice a day and now she’s only eating them once a day and maybe 10 per time. It was a bad time to purchase 200 haha..

But even with her greens/veggies.. she’ll still go for them, but not as enthusiastically. She used to eat like she was starving.. now it’s like I’m inconveniencing her.. hmmm.. and she is a little tubby thing.. is it possible AT ALL that she could have eggs??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's almost certainly not, I've never heard of one that young developing eggs. Not to say that it's impossible, it's just VERY improbable. Her reduction in eating is likely due to her getting older and not needing the same quantity, plus you've recently been giving her larger ones.

As for reading that they don't have eggs until 18 months, that's not true at all. It's just a random age that people feel is better for them to be bred because they will [ mostly ] be mature. But a large dragon at 12 months old could also be bred, it depends on how quickly they grew.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I just wanted to mention also, they do get bored with feeders, and will be reluctant to eat them, PLUS you gave her hornworms, in my experience once they start getting hornworms it can be hard to get them to eat other feeders.

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
It's almost certainly not, I've never heard of one that young developing eggs. Not to say that it's impossible, it's just VERY improbable. Her reduction in eating is likely due to her getting older and not needing the same quantity, plus you've recently been giving her larger ones.

As for reading that they don't have eggs until 18 months, that's not true at all. It's just a random age that people feel is better for them to be bred because they will [ mostly ] be mature. But a large dragon at 12 months old could also be bred, it depends on how quickly they grew.
Okay thank you!! Good to know

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
I just wanted to mention also, they do get bored with feeders, and will be reluctant to eat them, PLUS you gave her hornworms, in my experience once they start getting hornworms it can be hard to get them to eat other feeders.
Haha I know, but she’s been getting hornworms the whole time. She knows the order.. she gets veggies, “buggos” lol, and then worms. Sometimes I think she understands me when I say “you have to eat another green or no worms”.. bc then she reluctantly takes a bite 😂

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is not real common for 6 month old dragons to develop eggs but, it does happen. Do you have any
pictures of her so we can see her condition?
How many insects weekly has she been eating? If her weight is ideal then she might naturally slow down
some on her eating. If her eating has slown down but she continues to gain weight or size then I would
say eggs are likely.
Has she shown any behavior changes?

Tracie

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
She’s been eating 5-10 Dubias a day… with at least one day a week eating almost 20 in a sitting. She’s also been pooping less but I guess that comes with eating less.. I would def say her weight is ideal (pic for reference). My tubby girl 😍

She also moved into a new tank a week ago tomorrow that is a lot bigger than her old one. It took her a couple days to adjust.. (she had diarrhea the one day).. and she’s also trying to dig into the corners.. not every day but once in a while still :( I know they get relocation stress.. let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 4D2390CF-A0DE-44B7-9CCC-0BA18FEB08E8.jpeg
    4D2390CF-A0DE-44B7-9CCC-0BA18FEB08E8.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 4F920809-AD14-4D96-B610-8573D1635D4C.jpeg
    4F920809-AD14-4D96-B610-8573D1635D4C.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 724CBFD3-F137-466B-87B1-3CD5F4200703.jpeg
    724CBFD3-F137-466B-87B1-3CD5F4200703.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 1B83ABEA-45DA-420A-917D-30F483AB9655.jpeg
    1B83ABEA-45DA-420A-917D-30F483AB9655.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 71

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
Hello,

It is not real common for 6 month old dragons to develop eggs but, it does happen. Do you have any
pictures of her so we can see her condition?
How many insects weekly has she been eating? If her weight is ideal then she might naturally slow down
some on her eating. If her eating has slown down but she continues to gain weight or size then I would
say eggs are likely.
Has she shown any behavior changes?

Tracie
She’s been eating 5-10 Dubias a day… with at least one day a week eating almost 20 in a sitting. She’s also been pooping less but I guess that comes with eating less.. I would def say her weight is ideal (pic for reference). My tubby girl 😍

She also moved into a new tank a week ago tomorrow that is a lot bigger than her old one. It took her a couple days to adjust.. (she had diarrhea the one day).. and she’s also trying to dig into the corners.. not every day but once in a while still :( I know they get relocation stress.. let me know what you think!
@Drache613 wasnt sure if I replied on the thread so wanted to tag!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She is nice sized, only an xray or ultrasound will tell you if she is carrying eggs but it's not likely. If she starts digging a lot you can make a small laybox. Other than that she's just a slight bit chunky from eating good . :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Wow she is a very pretty dragon 🐉, your habitat looks nice too ..... and friggen clean, mine all wreck their habitats, i actually set and day dream about my habitats staying that nice lol.

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
She is nice sized, only an xray or ultrasound will tell you if she is carrying eggs but it's not likely. If she starts digging a lot you can make a small laybox. Other than that she's just a slight bit chunky from eating good . :)
Thank you for the response! I’ve actually been thinking about making a dig box for her! Any recs on what to use? I think she would love it

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom