Can’t seem to get the basking spot hot enough.

Beardie name(s)
Mushu
I have a 4x2x2 Zen habitat for Mushu. I have a screen top and originally had the dome on top of that but no matter what wattage we used, the temp wasn’t getting any hotter than 87. In the enclosure there are bars to mount lighting on the inside so we moved it to the inside- thinking the screen was limiting the amount of heat he gets. We have a 100 watt bulb in there and it’s still only at 90 degrees. I’m using a Zoo med some and a 100 watt Zilla incandescent bulb. What else can I do to get his temp up to the 100-105 degrees? I’m using a probe thermometer on the inside of the enclosure and a temp gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 68

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a 4x2x2 Zen habitat for Mushu. I have a screen top and originally had the dome on top of that but no matter what wattage we used, the temp wasn’t getting any hotter than 87. In the enclosure there are bars to mount lighting on the inside so we moved it to the inside- thinking the screen was limiting the amount of heat he gets. We have a 100 watt bulb in there and it’s still only at 90 degrees. I’m using a Zoo med some and a 100 watt Zilla incandescent bulb. What else can I do to get his temp up to the 100-105 degrees? I’m using a probe thermometer on the inside of the enclosure and a temp gun.
Go to a 150 watt and watch the temps -- try a different brand like a Flukers basking Arcadia Halogen and your UVB is too high up it needs to have a piece of basking decor diretcly under it 12-15 inches -- he looks like a baby you want temps 105-110

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
for my 4x2x2 from dubia.com i use the 150 watt zoo med bulb and the fixture is the deluxe porcelain clamp lamp from zoo med that is 8 1/2 inches and holds up to 150 watts. i have to use more lamps for the rest of the cage but this is good for my basking spot. you can also try raising the basking spot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
@Hobama and @KarrieRee what would you both suggest for heat at night? A heat rock or ceramic heat emitter? I just bought the Arcadia halogen bulb and I hope that one works better for my little baby.
The halogens are good --- I would recommend a CHE - it needs a dome w/ a ceramic socket - make sure the dome is compatible w/ the wattage of the bulb -- I would recommend a 100 watt bulb placed on the center of the screen -- I use them for my Zens and it keeps them around 70 at night - they are only used on nights when temps here drop below zero --- if your tank is 65-75 at night hes fine --

Mushu_the_dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
The halogens are good --- I would recommend a CHE - it needs a dome w/ a ceramic socket - make sure the dome is compatible w/ the wattage of the bulb -- I would recommend a 100 watt bulb placed on the center of the screen -- I use them for my Zens and it keeps them around 70 at night - they are only used on nights when temps here drop below zero --- if your tank is 65-75 at night hes fine --
The humidity is at 24.6 right now, is that too low for him?

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom