Came home to this

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If it was my dragon I would hold off on the meds for now- your UVB will be in tomorrow - once that UVB is installed we need to see her behavior after its in -- Tracie needs to weigh in on this vet thing and meds --
@Drache613

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think she’s feeling better. I gave her the pain killer last night and this morning, she surprisingly loved it and was biting the syringe for more. (Gabapentin)
She pooped today - i think it was poop. i literally check on her every 20 min idk how she gets away with pooping the second I leave her i even watch her from the petcam when im in bed.
I think the medicine is making her super tired bc she’s been super lethargic - but blackness is going down a bit

Her name is ivy - 7 months old. Unfortunately bought her at petsmart, apparently they sell their pets sick already. Before I was aware of the importance of their food etc I hadn’t noticed the way they look after them. After going back later I noticed they have incorrect lighting + food. They literally only feed them dried worms + pellets. But I’m happy I at least took her in and am taking care of her regardless of how I bought her

Thank you so much for checking in by the way I appreciate it. I apologize for the late response, I’ve been both working and looking after her. Been a bit of a whirl. Will keep updating this post hoping for a speedy recovery. I’m sure it’ll take a few more days but she’s better than Saturday

Also UVB unfortunately delayed - arriving tomorrow instead of today so frustrating

Pic 1 petting her after giving medicine
Pic 2 earlier this morning, kept trying to hide
Pic 3 poop I think, or vomit - there was a very little poop on the other side of the tank

Attachments

• E339BA20-3B78-4C59-A3C2-CBB8E48CD7F1.jpeg
    E339BA20-3B78-4C59-A3C2-CBB8E48CD7F1.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 2EFB88A8-DBCE-4164-B497-A4EC954CB2B1.jpeg
    2EFB88A8-DBCE-4164-B497-A4EC954CB2B1.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 51
  • C683ADB0-3A73-4400-8899-D06E1CE627C3.jpeg
    C683ADB0-3A73-4400-8899-D06E1CE627C3.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 47

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor Ivy. She can't understand what's happening. I do think I'd hold off on the meds. and concentrate on hydration and then nutrition. It seemed like she was starting to do better but now she's on a powerful drug that is knocking her out from your description.

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Aw, poor Ivy. She can't understand what's happening. I do think I'd hold off on the meds. and concentrate on hydration and then nutrition. It seemed like she was starting to do better but now she's on a powerful drug that is knocking her out from your description.
Yeah exactly i think its really knocking her out. she’s been sleeping almost all day 💔
Would it be safe to stop the medication after I’ve already started it for 1 day?
I’m hydrating her but she won’t eat anything - I’ve tried giving her a tiny piece of collard greens but she closes her eyes :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes it's safe to stop. It's not like antibiotics that are clearing up infection, those are the type of meds. that you need to take the full prescription. Gabapentin is simply an anxiety and pain med. ,they can be stopped anytime. The problem with giving meds. to pets is that they can't tell you if it's making them feel sick or dizzy or make their heart race or slow down, etc. But Ivy was just starting to get better it seemed and she has yet to gain her strength.

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes it's safe to stop. It's not like antibiotics that are clearing up infection, those are the type of meds. that you need to take the full prescription. Gabapentin is simply an anxiety and pain med. ,they can be stopped anytime. The problem with giving meds. to pets is that they can't tell you if it's making them feel sick or dizzy or make their heart race or slow down, etc. But Ivy was just starting to get better it seemed and she has yet to gain her strength.
Ok I’ll stop them :( this is all so sad and confusing ugh

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Might just be her reflex because she's been through traumatic events. A trip to a vet is terrifying for many animals. Just let her rest like she was after her initial illness , she was starting to recupe so hopefully she will just need rest.

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Might just be her reflex because she's been through traumatic events. A trip to a vet is terrifying for many animals. Just let her rest like she was after her initial illness , she was starting to recupe so hopefully she will just need rest.
Update: i just gave her a little water. She’s been sleeping like this for hours. She went into the darker part of her tank and the temp on that side is 80F, she’s completely avoiding light/heat. I will let her rest.

I called the vet and told them I felt like the medicine was doing more harm than good and they suggested I could wait for the blood work to come in tomorrow before resuming medication or doing anything else.

I agree with you, I think the best thing to do now is just let her rest and hydrate her when she accepts it. She is recovering, poor little baby

Attachments

• 0B87CFE3-F4C2-4358-8992-F4EA3AD57A0F.jpeg
    0B87CFE3-F4C2-4358-8992-F4EA3AD57A0F.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 48

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, there's Ivy hiding by the succulents. She's still hanging on though, that's good ! You're a very conscientious owner, taking good care of your baby. :)

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes she’s still hanging :’)
Just fed her water, at some point she got excited and bursted wide awake with her big eyes and started to chew on the syringe then she fell back asleep lol. So at least I know she’s still in there! Trying my best to take good care of her, really

Was worried about her temps bc she felt cold, she was in the cooler area on the succulent the whole day so I just put her in her bed and covered her but UVA above her so she can think she’s still in the dark but heat up a little again

But also noticed watery eyes as she was closing them? Maybe its just regular water as I’m assuming they’re eyes are kinda like ours and not completely dry? No signs of anything in her eyes besides that or any goo etc - also not sunken, i think Saturday’s eyes were the scariest they went so deep in her head super duper sunken

Attachments

• 41C68F2D-38B1-4545-8312-4EB5D3E6E5B1.jpeg
    41C68F2D-38B1-4545-8312-4EB5D3E6E5B1.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 697F8330-A926-47E1-80CA-B737B05B09C2.jpeg
    697F8330-A926-47E1-80CA-B737B05B09C2.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 51
  • E8956DC2-D9DF-452A-9E90-E9C387FCA14E.jpeg
    E8956DC2-D9DF-452A-9E90-E9C387FCA14E.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 44

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes she’s still hanging :’)
Just fed her water, at some point she got excited and bursted wide awake with her big eyes and started to chew on the syringe then she fell back asleep lol. So at least I know she’s still in there! Trying my best to take good care of her, really

Was worried about her temps bc she felt cold, she was in the cooler area on the succulent the whole day so I just put her in her bed and covered her but UVA above her so she can think she’s still in the dark but heat up a little again

But also noticed watery eyes as she was closing them? Maybe its just regular water as I’m assuming they’re eyes are kinda like ours and not completely dry? No signs of anything in her eyes besides that or any goo etc - also not sunken, i think Saturday’s eyes were the scariest they went so deep in her head super duper sunken
Your basking bulb what brand is it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Zoomed Repti Basking Spot Bulb 150W - please tell me its good and not like my old UVB :’(
No it's good - you want the clear solid bright white bulb and those are good- I was concerned about the watery eyes that's why I asked

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom