Came home to this

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Take the water bowl out. Are you positive she's not overheated ? She does look ill. Is there any chance that she ate a foreign object, do you have fake plants or anything that she might have swallowed ? Broccoli is not a great food for beardies but it wouldn't cause a reaction anything like this. Keep offering a little water but no laxative type foods and no dewrmer. You can keep a little heat on tonight but don't go over 85.
I’ll take the water bowl out now.

I’m not positive if she’s over heated as I’m not sure what that looks like - she feels cool to the touch but not too cool usually she’s warmer.

Foreign objects I don’t think so, because whenever I take her out I watch her and make sure she doesn’t eat anything, I also vaccum before I let her walk around my apartment to be safe and she doesn’t come out for more than 30 minutes. Her diet is black soldier larvae & hornworms & mealworms - yesterday she had all three, today just broccoli and a few of the larvae before I noticed she stopped eating

Is there anything I can do to help her or comfort her? Around every 10 min she’ll go to a different part of her tank and close her eyes, she lays flat too

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There's a slight possibility that she ate something while out roaming even if you're careful but it's just a guess. There isn't anything you can do, some would suggest an emergency vet for xrays or blood work, that's up to you but there's no guarantee they could do anything. I really feel for you, I can't imagine how scary this is and I really really hope for a positive outcome though it doesn't look good.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I hadn't really looked at the poo that's all broccoli, that looks more like vomit. I'm not sure why your poor girl is sick, it's not your fault though and no telling exactly what is causing it.

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
do you feed her horn worms or silk worms because the first pic of the poop looks like its a whole worm and she isnt digesting things properly, when you feed her make sure she has about 1-2 hours of basking after because the heat helps her digest it, dont feed her then turn the lights off if you are doing so.

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The emergency vet near me doesn’t have a vet for exotics in tonight but they will tomorrow so I will be running there first thing in the morning
I hadn't really looked at the poo that's all broccoli, that looks more like vomit. I'm not sure why your poor girl is sick, it's not your fault though and no telling exactly what is causing it.
I have absolutely no idea why or how she got sick. I take better care of her than I do of myself. There is literally no telling what’s causing it. I just called a 24 hour vet an hour from me and they said they’d need to hospitalize her overnight for $3500 and that’s minus seeing the doctor and the treatments. She’s really suffering and it’s breaking my heart idk what to do. I’ve been sitting by her tank for the last 5 hours just watching. She came up to my hand a few times it felt like she was saying “help me mom” I’m so heart broken.

Attachments

• 354516C6-C313-4873-B448-6F0DC22AFC90.jpeg
    354516C6-C313-4873-B448-6F0DC22AFC90.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 62

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
do you feed her horn worms or silk worms because the first pic of the poop looks like its a whole worm and she isnt digesting things properly, when you feed her make sure she has about 1-2 hours of basking after because the heat helps her digest it, dont feed her then turn the lights off if you are doing so.
I do feed her horn worms and they’ve always been the same size I’ve always fed her it’s definitely not the size of her poop, I tend to examine her poops this one had black solider larvae, I also do make sure that she has 1-2 hours of basking after because I did make the mistake of not giving her enough basking time months ago and learned from it. But I’m also thinking if she did release everything from her stomach, what could be causing her to be sick now?

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
I do feed her horn worms and they’ve always been the same size I’ve always fed her it’s definitely not the size of her poop, I tend to examine her poops this one had black solider larvae, I also do make sure that she has 1-2 hours of basking after because I did make the mistake of not giving her enough basking time months ago and learned from it. But I’m also thinking if she did release everything from her stomach, what could be causing her to be sick now?
youre doing calcium regularly? and is she drinking any water at all?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh wow, that's an outrageous price from the E.R. vet and then there's no guarantee they'll know what it is or be able to help. Hopefully she will rest overnight and just maybe recover. This has nothing to do with lack of calcium. I feel so bad, I know everyone reading this is pulling for you + your girl !

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh wow, that's an outrageous price from the E.R. vet and then there's no guarantee they'll know what it is or be able to help. Hopefully she will rest overnight and just maybe recover. This has nothing to do with lack of calcium. I feel so bad, I know everyone reading this is pulling for you + your girl !
They neither know what to do or care. No one cares for beardies its always the cats and dogs. I’m really praying she rests overnight and recovers. I’m confused bc she released everything poop/vomit so idk what’s causing her to be sick I hope it’s just exhaustion. Thank you all for pulling for me and Ivy :( I’m so upset she’s really my baby I legit cancel my plans with friends to hangout with her.
I also bought her from PetCo and not a breeder which I think was my first mistake. I’m sure she was already sick and I had no idea.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry that your girl isn't doing well. She got ill after you gave the broccoli?
That most likely upset her system. The prices for ER are utterly ridiculous, wow!
As suggested, try to keep Ivy warm overnight & definitely hydrated, too. You could get some
activated charcoal also to help detox her system a little bit.
Unfortunately there isn't any guarantee as to purchasing a dragon from a petstore or a breeder.
Have you made a nutritional slurry for her yet?

Keep us posted on her!
Tracie

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

So sorry that your girl isn't doing well. She got ill after you gave the broccoli?
That most likely upset her system. The prices for ER are utterly ridiculous, wow!
As suggested, try to keep Ivy warm overnight & definitely hydrated, too. You could get some
activated charcoal also to help detox her system a little bit.
Unfortunately there isn't any guarantee as to purchasing a dragon from a petstore or a breeder.
Have you made a nutritional slurry for her yet?

Keep us posted on her!
Tracie
Update: her beard is much less black. I came to check on her this morning and she took a lot of water from the syringe, kept clicking her tongue out for more and now she stopped. Could she possibly be dehydrated- should i bathe her?
Her eyes are closed though she won’t open them.

Im surprised the broccoli upset her stomach as shes had it before. But shes also released all of it so idk why she’s sick now. I have not made her a nutritional slurry yet could you advise on that please? I was thinking of mixing water and her reptivite in a syringe would that be good?

Attachments

• 39B8A53E-9510-48C1-B532-01C41C448D7D.jpeg
    39B8A53E-9510-48C1-B532-01C41C448D7D.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 57

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update: her beard is much less black. I came to check on her this morning and she took a lot of water from the syringe, kept clicking her tongue out for more and now she stopped. Could she possibly be dehydrated- should i bathe her?
Her eyes are closed though she won’t open them.

Im surprised the broccoli upset her stomach as shes had it before. But shes also released all of it so idk why she’s sick now. I have not made her a nutritional slurry yet could you advise on that please? I was thinking of mixing water and her reptivite in a syringe would that be good?
Update: she lifted her head. The blackness in her beard is going away and shes taking in lots of water. She opened her eyes for a minute

Attachments

• 6F1DAFF6-DD07-4447-B400-C718B6029AEC.jpeg
    6F1DAFF6-DD07-4447-B400-C718B6029AEC.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 49

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update: she lifted her head. The blackness in her beard is going away and shes taking in lots of water. She opened her eyes for a minute
Update: i think her eyes look much better? They arent as sunken as yesterday?

Attachments

• 2BFFF2FF-25D6-40CC-BAD6-863A91F2B130.jpeg
    2BFFF2FF-25D6-40CC-BAD6-863A91F2B130.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 52
  • 56508F97-FA96-4A40-B57D-2D27C2C9A290.jpeg
    56508F97-FA96-4A40-B57D-2D27C2C9A290.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She looks much better --- she seems to be pulling thru and and whatever it was -- please no more broccoli for her -- I dont know if that is what it was but w/ her pooping it out and throwing it up I am sure helped - keep us posted on her please

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom