Came home to this

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Wait!!! I was just about to put her back into bed and had noticed she pooped over night is this a good sign?

I am in NYC and it’s freezing out its 39F I’m worried that taking her to a vet will do her more harm than good because of the weather
My idea is to order a cab to avoid the weather, and use pocket heating packs that I have (I use for myself) in a box with towels - not sure if this would be a good idea but I don’t have much of a choice if you have any advice

The nearest one to me is an hour away so we would be in the car for an hour
The hand warmers would be good but they should be covered w/ a towel or blanket etc as they get really hot- you can get warmers that last a long time I forgot the time on them - the cab would be good as its going to be warmed already so she should be fine - not sure about the poop lets have ahbd take a look - collect that fecal -- take it w/ you to the vet if you get her in today - they are going to want a fecal and its best to take one w/ you NO enemas - they can end in disaster
@AHBD

Last edited:

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The hand warmers would be good but they should be covered w/ a towel or blanket etc as they get really hot- you can get warmers that last a long time I forgot the time on them - the cab would be good as its going to be warmed already so she should be fine - not sure about the poop lets have ahbd take a look - collect that fecal -- take it w/ you to the vet if you get her in today - they are going to want a fecal and its best to take one w/ you NO enemas - they can end in disaster
@AHBD
Update: she moved up to her trunk and drank water - beard seems to be getting lighter but still dark
I have her fecal in a ziplock bag - no enemas at the vet, any other advice on what to avoid at the vet/not allow? I’m very worried bc I know not all vets are helpful I’ve never been to one for her before
I’m taking a water bottle with me and her syringe, lots of hand warmers in case I need to change them and a towel, for transport i will have her in a large shoe box with holes for ventilation - have not left yet waiting for them to open in 10 min

Attachments

• D02CA381-05D6-404E-BD21-5B68D26C0678.jpeg
    D02CA381-05D6-404E-BD21-5B68D26C0678.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 42

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Update: she moved up to her trunk and drank water - beard seems to be getting lighter but still dark
I have her fecal in a ziplock bag - no enemas at the vet, any other advice on what to avoid at the vet/not allow? I’m very worried bc I know not all vets are helpful I’ve never been to one for her before
I’m taking a water bottle with me and her syringe, lots of hand warmers in case I need to change them and a towel, for transport i will have her in a large shoe box with holes for ventilation - have not left yet waiting for them to open in 10 min
Get copies of the visit anything done blood work x rays etc- take extra towels/ blanket in case you need it

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh , I don't think I'd take her in her condition. She might just be recuperating now and the stress from a vet visit might set her back. Some vets will give multiple injections and a blood draw all at once which is painful and frightening.

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Get copies of the visit anything done blood work x rays etc- take extra towels/ blanket in case you need it
Update: I was going to take her to “The Center for Avian & Exotic Medicine” here in NY - and unfortunately upon waiting on the phone they said they couldn’t see her until tomorrow at 10 AM.
The second option would be “The Schwartzman Animal Medical Center” that has an ER and could take her but the reviews are terrible for exotic pets on Google reviews. I’m worried to risk it and take her to a bad vet and they kill her but also worried to wait until 10 AM tomorrow morning. I practically begged on the phone and they said only 10 AM tomorrow
Oh , I don't think I'd take her in her condition. She might just be recuperating now and the stress from a vet visit might set her back. Some vets will give multiple injections and a blood draw all at once which is painful and frightening.
I think she is recuperating she's been moving more than last night - I'm noticing that during the day she seems better then at night she doesn't move much. Like now she moved from her bed to the trunk, to the floor, back to the trunk and her eyes are open - beard seems to be lightening and she's accepted 5 drops of water from syringe twice in the last 2 hours. I can still take the 10 AM appointment tomorrow, they're asking for a $150 non refundable deposit just to book the appointment itself

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's your decision but I would just let her recuperate. The appt. stress can set her back and there's no guarantee they come up with the problem. She may have just been sick from the broccoli and then had some caught in her throat.

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's your decision but I would just let her recuperate. The appt. stress can set her back and there's no guarantee they come up with the problem. She may have just been sick from the broccoli and then had some caught in her throat.
I think I’ll let her recuperate then - thank you. You’ve been so so helpful.
She just ran from her trunk to the glass when she saw me so I’m assuming shes less lethargic - she’s also shedding a lot, I misted her a little - laying completely flat now

Attachments

• 40F2D578-FC32-4410-8697-03E3EFC86E82.jpeg
    40F2D578-FC32-4410-8697-03E3EFC86E82.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 491FD32F-2DDD-40B6-AAB9-A21611E3D292.jpeg
    491FD32F-2DDD-40B6-AAB9-A21611E3D292.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 48

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Her activity is increasing a little bit, that's good ! It sounds like she doesn't like getting misted, lol.
Her activity is still increasing, she has always hated both baths and being misted, will never even drink water unless its from a syringe 🙄 also recently she stopped eating from her bowl bc she waits for me to whirl insects around for her to run after me and my tong - she’s honestly such a diva lol im sure she’s milking this situation in some way

3A348619-905D-45AC-AA3C-865EFA12721B.jpeg

Current photo update 1:30 pm:
Managed to take the day off work to be with her + will take tomorrow off too for the vet visit
Pooped once this morning
Misted twice since 7 am (the mist has electrolytes and vitamins in it)
Has accepted water in a syringe 3 times
Has moved around in her bed a few times & is alert unlike Saturday, notices my movement and puts her head up (Saturday she was a goner. Straight zombie dragon flat faced on the ground)

I’m starting to wonder if one of the bugs she ate were bad? Could that be a possibility? The only change recently is I started buying them off Fluker’s Farms instead of dubiaroaches.com because they stopped shipping insects for a little while due to cold weather

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Misting is O.K once in a while to help shedding but they can't absorb water through their skin so the electrolytes are wasted unless it's mixed with the water in the syringe. Her beard still very dark, that comes from stress for both males and females but males are usually much darker. Are you sure about her gender ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Her activity is still increasing, she has always hated both baths and being misted, will never even drink water unless its from a syringe 🙄 also recently she stopped eating from her bowl bc she waits for me to whirl insects around for her to run after me and my tong - she’s honestly such a diva lol im sure she’s milking this situation in some way

View attachment 77242
Current photo update 1:30 pm:
Managed to take the day off work to be with her + will take tomorrow off too for the vet visit
Pooped once this morning
Misted twice since 7 am (the mist has electrolytes and vitamins in it)
Has accepted water in a syringe 3 times
Has moved around in her bed a few times & is alert unlike Saturday, notices my movement and puts her head up (Saturday she was a goner. Straight zombie dragon flat faced on the ground)

I’m starting to wonder if one of the bugs she ate were bad? Could that be a possibility? The only change recently is I started buying them off Fluker’s Farms instead of dubiaroaches.com because they stopped shipping insects for a little while due to cold weather
With her beard as black as it is there is something going on

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, it comes from bad mood, stress or pain. She would be in bad mood + stress from what she went through, she was very debilitated just 2 days ago.

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Misting is O.K once in a while to help shedding but they can't absorb water through their skin so the electrolytes are wasted unless it's mixed with the water in the syringe. Her beard still very dark, that comes from stress for both males and females but males are usually much darker. Are you sure about her gender ?
They can’t absorb water through their skin?! I remember reading the opposite - I’ve been so insanely careful with what touches her I’ve literally only been bathing her in bottled human drinking water worried about absorption through skin ugh! Even when I wear perfume I don’t let her near me thinking she’d absorb it lol what

When I lifted her tail when I first got her I didn’t see the two bumps, recently I’ve been confused on whether she has them or not - I’d check now but I don’t want to cause any discomfort

I hope the black beard right now is just stress and no sickness :( I’ve been so anxious waiting for tomorrow time feels so slow I wish I had another good option for a vet today. The other option had horrible reviews for exotics

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom