Came home to this

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I cried reading this, I can see how much you deeply loved Ivy. It brought me back to my girl Taros loss, I still miss her too and it's been a couple years. Your girl is special and is still so loved. I'm so sorry it ended up this way but you really went above and beyond for her and did all you could.

I would encourage you to take your time to grieve, but also commend yourself for being an amazing pet owner with so much love to give, and maybe someday you could be that special carer for another sweet little beardie. We know so many of them are in need of great carekeepers and a lot do not get so lucky to have one. No beardie will ever replace Ivy, they are all so different and unique, each their own journey. I still cry when I think of Taro, and I know I'll be the same wreck when I someday have to say goodbye to my Charlie- but this hurt is part of being a pet owner. As their caregivers it is our duty and burden, and as tough as it is just remember that Ivy is was worth it.
I’m so sorry for your loss with Taro :( I definitely feel for you it’s really been maybe the top 2 worst experiences of my life I miss her more everyday and keep smelling her blankets like a lunatic its been so hard to walk by my living room I’m always in my room

I have been taking time to grieve but I don’t feel anywhere near better - how long did it take you to overcome it or be ok again? (I’m sorry for this question no need to respond if it makes you uncomfortable at all)

Ivy was definitely and always will be worth it I start crying every time there’s a nice sunset above the water I feel like its a gift for her to see I still can’t believe it

I will hopefully have another beardie just as sweet as ivy and wish I could give all beardies good homes :( it’s true and sad that not many have good carekeepers but I’m also worried to have another and make them sick or buy them sick again I’ll have to find a good breeder

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It’s been very tough and still is unfortunately I really miss her so much and even more everyday..haven’t gotten myself to tidy around her tank or anything lol haven’t returned the UVB either I’m definitely keeping it and would love another dragon I’m just so worried to get another and have them get sick again or have them already sick without me even knowing.. thank you so much again for having me set up with the correct UVB, wish I had known sooner
I cried reading this, I can see how much you deeply loved Ivy. It brought me back to my girl Taros loss, I still miss her too and it's been a couple years. Your girl is special and is still so loved. I'm so sorry it ended up this way but you really went above and beyond for her and did all you could.

I would encourage you to take your time to grieve, but also commend yourself for being an amazing pet owner with so much love to give, and maybe someday you could be that special carer for another sweet little beardie. We know so many of them are in need of great carekeepers and a lot do not get so lucky to have one. No beardie will ever replace Ivy, they are all so different and unique, each their own journey. I still cry when I think of Taro, and I know I'll be the same wreck when I someday have to say goodbye to my Charlie- but this hurt is part of being a pet owner. As their caregivers it is our duty and burden, and as tough as it is just remember that Ivy is was worth it.
Also I wanted to thank you for this very kind message - I remember crying reading this being unable to pull myself together to respond lol :’)
I am very grateful for all your words they really did help

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Those are GREAT pictures and although bittersweet they are a real testament for your love and care for this little reptile that was so precious to you. I don't think that anyone could read this thread and not be touched by it. There's no way to tell exactly what happened but it was in no way your fault. You were a great beardie mom.
I really wish I knew what happened I kept looking at photos all week and it was genuinely all so sudden and very unexpected - literally the night before I was playing with her and cuddled her to sleep and the morning of she was absolutely fine really wouldn’t have expected it in a million years..I miss her so much :( thank you for your kind message I’m very grateful. She really was very precious to me

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

OH that was so beautiful, Ivy was most definitely loved & I am positive she knew exactly how much she
was loved. This is heartbreaking. We all know the empty terrible feeling of loss & understand how you
feel. She will always be with you, forever. She obviously has imprinted on your heart.
The pictures are lovely. You could make a photo album as a tribute to her. It really helps.
I wish we could know for sure why you lost her, it's almost impossible to know what happened without
an autopsy.

Tracie
She really has imprinted on my heart :( I am putting an album together - haven’t been able to gather myself and do it yet but I definitely will once looking at photos gets easier.. haven’t touched anything in her tank yet either I haven’t been able to move anything - I know, I wish I could have gotten an autopsy it was so expensive and I had already paid the vet so much, he’s still blaming me for her death lol

Thank you for the kind message Tracie and all your support I’m very grateful

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I hope you continue to be a member of this community, I know your hurting and feel lost right now, but hopefully someday you decide to find another beardie to love. They all deserve to be kept by someone like you who truely cares. And even though no beardie will ever replace Ivy, if you find the right beardie it may fill some of the empty space in your heart, left by Ivy's passing.
Definitely will always be a member of this community ❤️ You have all been so supportive, even more supportive than the actual friends and people around me and it’s definitely taught me a lot, I had to come back on here today to say thank you
I hope to one day be as knowledgeable as all of you
I know no beardie will ever replace ivy but I do look forward to telling my new little one one day that she did have a sweet older sister - hopefully when I find the right breeder (I’m so unfamiliar with all this as Ivy was from PetSmart which I’m sure was a mistake but I’m happy to have given her a loving life)

Thank you so much for your kind message I’m very grateful - definitely will continue to be a part of this community always ❤️

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also I couldn’t help but think about this all week I’ve been doing lots of reading and video watching - what was I supposed to do in that situation where it looked like she was gasping for air or having a seizure? I saw online some people said to tilt them in case they’re choking etc it could let the fluids out but all I did was watch her or pet her for comfort I had no idea what to do and it happened 3 times.. i feel like i couldve saved her? :( this is what it looked like

Attachments

• 08BF5B72-CBE8-405C-82CD-15E8B3004E1F.jpeg
    08BF5B72-CBE8-405C-82CD-15E8B3004E1F.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 54

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please don't blame yourself, we have no way of knowing what we don't know. You also have no way of knowing if it would have made any difference anyways. If you research do so, so you better know what to do with your next beardie, not to beat yourself up over Ivy.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A sick or dying beardie often has sunken eyes and mouth open , there was nothing you could do. It was touch and go and her heart may have given out but again, no way to know.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
I’m so sorry for your loss with Taro :( I definitely feel for you it’s really been maybe the top 2 worst experiences of my life I miss her more everyday and keep smelling her blankets like a lunatic its been so hard to walk by my living room I’m always in my room

I have been taking time to grieve but I don’t feel anywhere near better - how long did it take you to overcome it or be ok again? (I’m sorry for this question no need to respond if it makes you uncomfortable at all)

Ivy was definitely and always will be worth it I start crying every time there’s a nice sunset above the water I feel like its a gift for her to see I still can’t believe it

I will hopefully have another beardie just as sweet as ivy and wish I could give all beardies good homes :( it’s true and sad that not many have good carekeepers but I’m also worried to have another and make them sick or buy them sick again I’ll have to find a good breeder

I know how terrible it is, it feels like a deep pit in your stomach, I would also agree it was one of the worst experiences of my life, somehow different than the feeling of some of my relatives passing away for me. I think it's the guilt we feel, and that we feel somehow responsible, that if only we did something a little different it might have changed the outcome somehow. I still feel this sometimes but it does get better I promise. What's important to remember is that Ivy isn't suffering or sick anymore, she's at peace.

It's an okay question to ask, Taro passed May 27 2020. She was only 3 years old. I still miss her and when I look at her pictures I think of how privileged I was to have her. I do cry thinking about her once in awhile but in my mind it's just because I loved her so darn much, so it's okay to be sad and hurt still sometimes.

Everyone grieves differently, and theres no real timespan on it (but it gets better i promise) I'll share some things I did that helped me during my loss:

• I covered Taros enclosure with a sheet until I was ready for my next baby, to stop myself from looking at the enclosure with no lights and being reminded she's not there anymore. Interestingly, passively working on preparing for the new baby was also healing, slowly redecorating and overhauling the tank while also deciding which of taros belonging I'd keep safe.

• going for walks and listening to spiritual podcasts, gentle music. You could walk along that river maybe, or past it to say hello to her.

• talking about her to others helped me, I have a good relationship with my vet so she called me to check in and that helped, but really reaching out to anyone does (even us here on this forum!)

• I posted on the beardie memorials, a letter to Taro when I was ready. It took me a couple months to do this, only when I could finally accept she wasn't in our world anymore, because it didn't feel real for quite awhile.

• A year later I commissioned someone to do a painting of her using a good photo, and I made it into a fridge magnet with her name. Now I can see her everyday and it helps me to maintain that emotional connection with her.

Let yourself hurt and grieve, but you don't need to punish yourself. Charlie (my current baby turning 3 this year) did help me to focus on something new, I introduced her to my family just two weeks after Taros passing (my daughter was distraught so we just went out to "look" at the pet store with all the animals and ended up bringing her home 🥲) but while having a new baby felt less lonely and helped guide me somewhere new, to this day she never felt like a replacement. They are so vastly different in personality but I've been so lucky to have them both.

This experience surprisingly enough will make you a better beardie owner, and wherever that new baby is for you out there they will be one lucky little dragon!

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Also I couldn’t help but think about this all week I’ve been doing lots of reading and video watching - what was I supposed to do in that situation where it looked like she was gasping for air or having a seizure? I saw online some people said to tilt them in case they’re choking etc it could let the fluids out but all I did was watch her or pet her for comfort I had no idea what to do and it happened 3 times.. i feel like i couldve saved her? :( this is what it

Also I couldn’t help but think about this all week I’ve been doing lots of reading and video watching - what was I supposed to do in that situation where it looked like she was gasping for air or having a seizure? I saw online some people said to tilt them in case they’re choking etc it could let the fluids out but all I did was watch her or pet her for comfort I had no idea what to do and it happened 3 times.. i feel like i couldve saved her? :( this is what it looked like
Taro looked exactly like this the day she passed too. Humans also have a distinct appearance and behaviour when it's time, usually as a result of some kind of systemic failure. Please don't blame yourself, you did everything in your power for her. 😟

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I know it's hard not to wonder about all of the things you could have done. It seems like there might
have been something else going on, but not sure. Try not to blame yourself, you really did do everything
to help her.:cry:

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom