California Kingsnake, and question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stolas

Hey guys,

I'm now the proud new owner of a young kingsnake :) his name is Khaine, and he's a little bundle of fun :p

Couple of new questions, as i'm a new snake owner :p

1. When I go to handle him, or when he's in a confined space, at first he does rattle his tail, and sometimes strikes when he's in confined, but then when I actually start handling him he's fine, I'm guessing thats just a scared factor that goes away when he realizes he's ok? Just making sure

2. I did forget to put on his lighting for a day, he has a 20 gal long tank, and its a kinda powerful bulb i think but his substrate is a shedded aspen something? (I know its standard forgot the name :( and it might be a bit too powerful of a basking bulb, it was the same bulb from a beardie 40 gal breeder light, so kinda two questions with that:

2a. Is he goign to be ok without basking light for a day? I actually have him out to handle coz i want him to become tamer, and he's cuddling inside my robe against me (tickling haha)

2b. Should I get a smaller bulb? or would that one be ok since he normally buries himself anyway?

Thanks again! i'll post pics soon!

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
King snakes need a under tank heater not a basking light. Snakes do not bask. Kings tend to be angry elves (lol), so unless you pick him/her up daily without hesitating it will learn to strike to keep you away. So, slow movements and scoop up, don't grab from above. Birds of prey scoop from above so this will signal the AW MAN I REFUSE TO BE FOOD response thus the tail rattling and striking. He may be diggin down to get out of the heat. What are your temps? the hot end should not be more than 86 with the cool end 75-78. What are you feeding and how often? How long is he and have you weighed him yet? Feel free to pm me.

NFM07

Hatchling Member
Congrats on getting a piggy! We have a king and she could eat every three hours if we let her. Kings rarely pass up food so be careful not to overfeed. For the under the tank heater, you will need something to control the temps. Snakes will lay there and burn themselves. Only use Aspen bedding, if he/she is small you might want to stick to paper towels for a little bit to make sure its pooing and not throwing its food back up. As for picking up, I put a clean sock on my hand and picked ours up until she got used to being handled. Now we can reach in with no problems. Feel free to pm if you have any questions. I have been caring for snakes since '07 and have done a lot of reading up on them and learning. Always willing to share what I have learned.

Soooo where are the photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom