Calcium.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
So. Chris told me he read some articles and some people in a different BD group told him they don't need the calcium with D3 everyday, only once or twice a week because it can be toxic or cause health problems.? What's the general consensus on it, can they have the d3 everyday.? That's the calcium powder we've been doing everyday on salads and bugs (bugs only once a day, only sprinkled on top of salads) since we got both of them 6 months ago.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So. Chris told me he read some articles and some people in a different BD group told him they don't need the calcium with D3 everyday, only once or twice a week because it can be toxic or cause health problems.? What's the general consensus on it, can they have the d3 everyday.? That's the calcium powder we've been doing everyday on salads and bugs (bugs only once a day, only sprinkled on top of salads) since we got both of them 6 months ago.
Babies up until one year of age need the D3 for bone growth -- w/ the T 5 bulb and the T 8 bulbs they will absorb /synthesize that calcium -- this is imperative they have the correct UVB and distance and placement -- it is best to dust the insects lightly coated 5 x per week ---- NOT the salads as well - they are going to get the calcium off those insects cuz you know they are going to eat them --- at the age of one year the calcium D3 will change to once per week and calcium w/ out D3 no phosphorus to 2 - 3 times per week --unless your using the T 8 bulb then it will need to given more frequently since the T 8 is not as strong as the T 5-- vitamins will vary depending on the dragon and if hes eating his salads

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Babies up until one year of age need the D3 for bone growth -- w/ the T 5 bulb and the T 8 bulbs they will absorb /synthesize that calcium -- this is imperative they have the correct UVB and distance and placement -- it is best to dust the insects lightly coated 5 x per week ---- NOT the salads as well - they are going to get the calcium off those insects cuz you know they are going to eat them --- at the age of one year the calcium D3 will change to once per week and calcium w/ out D3 no phosphorus to 2 - 3 times per week --unless your using the T 8 bulb then it will need to given more frequently since the T 8 is not as strong as the T 5-- vitamins will vary depending on the dragon and if hes eating his salads
They're 9 and 8 months and we've been dusting the salads because Nova will not eat bugs with calcium on them and toothless' eating has slowed ALOT. Like, he only eats MAYBE 15 crickets a day or maybe 4 roaches and that's it. But they've gotten better with salads. Nova will typically eat every bite of hers and she was really lacking calcium when we got her, like she was having occasional twitches but that's also gone away since we've been giving the extra calcium.

So, since they're under a year, do they need the d3 everyday or just a few times a week and otherwise use the calcium with no d3.?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They're 9 and 8 months and we've been dusting the salads because Nova will not eat bugs with calcium on them and toothless' eating has slowed ALOT. Like, he only eats MAYBE 15 crickets a day or maybe 4 roaches and that's it. But they've gotten better with salads. Nova will typically eat every bite of hers and she was really lacking calcium when we got her, like she was having occasional twitches but that's also gone away since we've been giving the extra calcium.

So, since they're under a year, do they need the d3 everyday or just a few times a week and otherwise use the calcium with no d3.?
They need the d 3 everyday till one year-- you can get liquid calcium if that would be better- please PM drache613 she can help you w/ that she's our vet tech mod - if your interested in that- if toothless is eating insects you can dust them he's still getting the calcium D 3 - I would inquire about nova tho- your uvb has helped w/ the twitches as it has helped her absorb the calcium

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom